slamfires

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Rob Coombs

slamfires

#1 Postby Rob Coombs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:17 am

Hi everyone
Just a quick question.
I was at Nowra Rifle Range yesterday shooting the 600 metre F class event.
I had completed the first detail (59.6) and 1 hour later was starting the second detail.
As I closed the bolt on my Barnard 6BR it went off!
I have had this rifle for about 3 years and have been shooting it occaisionaly at Silverdale but as my working situation has now changed I have started to shoot more regularly.
Anyway back to the story.
My next three shots were all centres then it happened again.
I know a slamfire is the result of the trigger slipping over the sear but why did this happen after all this time when I haven't done any adjustments to the trigger?
I will pull it apart today and adjust the sear but was hoping for some enlightment.
Thanks Rob

Matt P

Re: slamfires

#2 Postby Matt P » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:28 am

I’d start buy cleaning the trigger before making any adjustment.

UL1700

#3 Postby UL1700 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Yep good wash in some 2 stroke mix or other slightly oily solvent, good blow out with some dry air and see where you get. If still problematic then the Barnard instructions are here http://www.barnard.co.nz/barnard-trigger-instructions

KHGS

#4 Postby KHGS » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Rob Coombs wrote:Hi everyone
Just a quick question.
I was at Nowra Rifle Range yesterday shooting the 600 metre F class event.
I had completed the first detail (59.6) and 1 hour later was starting the second detail.
As I closed the bolt on my Barnard 6BR it went off!
I have had this rifle for about 3 years and have been shooting it occaisionaly at Silverdale but as my working situation has now changed I have started to shoot more regularly.
Anyway back to the story.
My next three shots were all centres then it happened again.
I know a slamfire is the result of the trigger slipping over the sear but why did this happen after all this time when I haven't done any adjustments to the trigger?
I will pull it apart today and adjust the sear but was hoping for some enlightment.
Thanks Rob

This is NOT a "slam fire" this is a trigger problem. I agree with Matt clean before tinkering with adjustments. Triggers should not be tinkered with by the inexperienced gun mechanic, they are a major component in the safety of your rifle which can impact on you and others around you, proceed carefully.
Keith H.

Rob Coombs

#5 Postby Rob Coombs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks for the replys.
I think rifle is off to the gunsmiths.
Rob

Bigtravoz

#6 Postby Bigtravoz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:16 am

Rob Coombs wrote:Thanks for the replys.
I think rifle is off to the gunsmiths.
Rob

Give it a good clean with shellite or the likes first and blow it out with compressed air. Have a good look at the seer surfaces for any damage. Once cleaned, cycle the bolt repeatedly and see if the problem is still there. If the problem occurs then off to the gunsmith. It could be that cleaning it fixes it or it could be that the return spring of the trigger is broken among other things. Try cleaning first.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”