Bedding Omark Action on V Block

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Walt

Bedding Omark Action on V Block

#1 Postby Walt » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:58 pm

Has anyone bedded an Omark action onto a Barnard V Block? If so, any pointers / tips? I assume the recoil lug is best machined off.

Matt P

Re: Bedding Omark Action on V Block

#2 Postby Matt P » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Walt
I wouldn't recommend it. The reason the Barnard system works so well is the actions are ground after heat treating which means they're round and straight and fit into a Vblock without inducing any stress on the action. The Omark on the other hand normally have an adaptor fitted which isn't the same diameter as the action body (so doesn't contact the V) and most actions have had a hard life and won't be round or straight enough. I would suggest pillar bedding using contoured pillars or upgrading to an Barnard.
Matt P

pjifl

#3 Postby pjifl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 pm

In addition, the Barnard is Nitrided so the surface is resistant to wear. Omarks actions are quite soft metal. I have never tried an Omark in a V block but I doubt that it will work very well. Barnards are almost a no brainer - they suit an Al V block perfectly.
Perhaps the only down side is that if water gets between the Al and the Action, although it still shoots well, it must be dismantled and cleaned up at the end of the days shooting.

Peter Smith.

tom1

#4 Postby tom1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:17 am

I have an Omark with a Cronk stock that is bedded with a V block , have had it for 6 years without any apparent problems. The V block doesn't go under the adaptor and it still has the recoil lug.I must be lucky as this is an action that has been well cared for over the years, it was my Dads and he passed it on to me. You will have to drill another hole and tap for the take down screw, as mine had one in the recoil lug which is now not used as the adaptor is a different diameter to the action. The V block starts behind the recoil lug.
However there are several very experienced gunsmiths on this site and their input is well worth listening to.
Brad Probert

Walt

#5 Postby Walt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:31 pm

Thank you everyone for your valued comments.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”