Ftr stock what’s the best.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

SuperV

Ftr stock what’s the best.

#1 Postby SuperV » Mon May 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Hey guys. I’m asking for a new shooter. He’s looking at a rifle build. He’s going a barnard model P most probably 223. As I’m a dirty old TR shooter. I’m asking for everyone opinion on what’s the best stock for FTR.

Barossa_222

Re: Ftr stock what’s the best.

#2 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:24 pm

If you can still get wild dog stocks the barnard will drop right into it with no bedding.

Gyro

#3 Postby Gyro » Tue May 21, 2019 4:35 am

SuperV wrote:Hey guys. I’m asking for a new shooter. He’s looking at a rifle build. He’s going a barnard model P most probably 223. As I’m a dirty old TR shooter. I’m asking for everyone opinion on what’s the best stock for FTR.

There was a time on this forum when the top guys ( and there's plenty in Oz ) would have thoroughly discussed this one here mate. Secret squirrel now.

cheech

#4 Postby cheech » Tue May 21, 2019 7:23 am

Light weight - (Barnards are heavy) , strong stiff fore end and has to be comfortable of course

Bolly stocks
Wild dog chassis
Dolphin chassis

Some fibreglass/resin models can also be made to work

Matt P

#5 Postby Matt P » Tue May 21, 2019 8:40 am

Gyro wrote:
SuperV wrote:Hey guys. I’m asking for a new shooter. He’s looking at a rifle build. He’s going a barnard model P most probably 223. As I’m a dirty old TR shooter. I’m asking for everyone opinion on what’s the best stock for FTR.

There was a time on this forum when the top guys ( and there's plenty in Oz ) would have thoroughly discussed this one here mate. Secret squirrel now.

Don't know if it's secret squirrel or they got sick of being told they were wrong by key board warriors.

Cliff Austen

#6 Postby Cliff Austen » Tue May 21, 2019 9:33 am

If you are a right handed shooter go for a left hand bolt and left hand feed. In F Class shooting this is the best ergonomics.
Good Luck. Cheers Cliff.

UL1700

#7 Postby UL1700 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:23 am

Cliff Austen wrote:If you are a right handed shooter go for a left hand bolt and left hand feed. In F Class shooting this is the best ergonomics.
Good Luck. Cheers Cliff.

That's some sensible advice there :wink: we run both our Open and FT stocks this way and for what it's worth in perfect conditions at Grantville OPM at the weekend I didnt drop a shot on the 1st day and was tracking in the black with Ftr and Sophie (Fopen) after some significant technical issues on Saturday (don't over pin tumble your brass [-X :oops: #-o ) pulled a 15 shot 90.14 at 600 only to be beaten by a 90.15 on Sunday :shock:

Quick

#8 Postby Quick » Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Probs agree with Matt P myself.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

benculton

#9 Postby benculton » Wed May 22, 2019 1:50 am

Cliff Austen wrote:If you are a right handed shooter go for a left hand bolt and left hand feed. In F Class shooting this is the best ergonomics.
Good Luck. Cheers Cliff.

Why do you make this suggestion Cliff? I'm a newbie to the sport so interested to learn.

Gyro

#10 Postby Gyro » Wed May 22, 2019 4:40 am

Quick wrote:Probs agree with Matt P myself.

There are no mysteries here with this guys innocent request for information about what's probably THE most important part of a rifle ? There are a number of clear trends being gradually more accepted by many winning shooters today ( who btw are to my mind the people most worth listening to ) re what's needed in a rifle stock that allows more 'accessible' accuracy.

I'd suggest Isaac Newton could have made a better rifle stock if he had the materials than many I see being used today just because he would have applied some basic mechanical theory to his stock.

But what would I know. I'm just a keyboard warrior.

wsftr

#11 Postby wsftr » Wed May 22, 2019 5:21 am

OP - what stocks do you have access to? Depending on what you want to spend will dictate a lot as well.
The theories of stock design can do your head in. Long and stiff has been a mantra for a while. 1K BR 6mm guys are experimenting with a slightly flexi forend for positive compensation benefits.
Most Fclass shooters don't bother with adjustable stock hardware from what I can tell....certainly I used to and ditched it...FTR weight is an issue particularly with a Barnard P action. Generally that means you will need to compromise in your barrel profile unless you get a light weight stock.

SuperV

#12 Postby SuperV » Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks everyone. A order for Bolly has just been placed.

Cliff Austen

#13 Postby Cliff Austen » Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 pm

benculton wrote:
Good Luck. Cheers Cliff.

Why do you make this suggestion Cliff? I'm a newbie to the sport so interested to learn.

If you are lying behind your rifle with the butt into the right shoulder and the right hand around the pistol grip, your left arm and hand are totally free. Hence you can use your left hand to activate the bolt and load the chamber while keeping control for your rifle. It is very simple ergonomics.
Cliff

Quick

#14 Postby Quick » Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Or just go a dual port. That's economy of motion. Best decision I ever made was doing that.

Stock design, ill give a lil. You want a setup that tracks well. If your from a BR or FO background you will understand. A well tracking rifle shoots better. And is easier to shoot well. If you fight it or work hard to drive the rifle. Its wrong.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Tim L

#15 Postby Tim L » Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Shooting a 223 I'd have to say stock design is of less importance. There were many discussions on what was needed to shoot heavy projectiles. The general form adopted was a stock that runs straight back into the sholder (ie with no drop comb). Wilddog, Dolphin in alluminium are examples of this. I got Bob Eager to make mine in timber because i like timber, but the design is the same.
For a 223 where heavy recoil is not a factor anything that will keep you under weight would (imo) be fine. Stiff is good, but don't compromise on forestock length.
The Bolly stock is a good bit of gear, that will let you hang a parrallel barrel off a Barnard with weight to spare. He spent a good bit of time getting the palm swell right so if you intend to hold the gun it's a good choice. If you intend to free recoil there are some wasted features but its still a damn good stock.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”