Molybdenum disulphides, to use or not to use?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Bigtravoz

Molybdenum disulphides, to use or not to use?

#1 Postby Bigtravoz » Sat May 04, 2019 10:47 pm

What have been people’s experiences and Is It a good or bad thing. Wanting to know peoples experience and why you do or don’t like it.

jasmay

Re: Molybdenum disulphides, to use or not to use?

#2 Postby jasmay » Sun May 05, 2019 8:34 am

Best thing to do is try it.

I use it in some situations and not others and it makes a noticeable improvement to those situations where I do.

AlexE

#3 Postby AlexE » Sun May 05, 2019 8:50 am

I like it, but it's messy and makes barrel cleaning confusing (what on the black patch is moly and what is carbon?)

I just bought some HBN (hexagonal boron nitride) which is supposed to do a similar thing but just leaves your bullets with a waxy sheen. I'm yet to shoot any HBN coated bullets, but from everything I've read, it's supposed to make cleaning a whole lot easier.

Tim L

#4 Postby Tim L » Sun May 05, 2019 2:21 pm

AlexE wrote:I like it, but it's messy and makes barrel cleaning confusing (what on the black patch is moly and what is carbon?)

I just bought some HBN (hexagonal boron nitride) which is supposed to do a similar thing but just leaves your bullets with a waxy sheen. I'm yet to shoot any HBN coated bullets, but from everything I've read, it's supposed to make cleaning a whole lot easier.

The only reason I use is is so I dont have to clean my barrel.
I'll shoot 250-300 then clean with jb or kg. 10 foulers or so to bring it back in and good for another 250-300.

Pommy Chris

#5 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed May 08, 2019 10:51 pm

Won a Queens using it. Cleaning is the same as not and barrels seem to last longer. Missus has a barrel shot without moly and I have one with both same round count mine shot much hotter load with heavier projectiles and mine is fine looking with borescope, hers is fire cracked and stuffed. Wet moly application is easy and cleaning is the same cant see negatives at all.
Chris

mike H

#6 Postby mike H » Sat May 11, 2019 6:05 pm

I agree with Chris,had three barrels around the 3000 round mark checked with a bore scope,compared with similar round count barrels and of the same manufacturer,but not moly coated,mine looked fine,the non molyed ones were severely fire cracked.Wet moly application is not difficult,I clean every day I shoot.
Mike.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”