Hornady A tip Bullets

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

Re: Hornady A tip Bullets

#16 Postby bruce moulds » Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 pm

willow,
19 shots is not a statistically valid amount to be meaningful if divided up into different seating depths.
frank must have lucked on a load to make the statement he did.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

willow

#17 Postby willow » Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 pm

bruce moulds wrote:willow,
19 shots is not a statistically valid amount to be meaningful if divided up into different seating depths.
frank must have lucked on a load to make the statement he did.
bruce.

Aware of that mate, just curious to hear what he did to make him smile so much.

Frank Green

#18 Postby Frank Green » Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 pm

willow wrote:
Frank Green wrote:Over here they are retailing for about $79 a hundred for like the 6.5mm bullets.

I did get my hands on some of the 6mm's (25 of them). Haven't loaded them up as of yet.

I have shot the 153 out of my 6.5CM (only shot 19 of them so far) but all I can say is you couldn't wipe the grin off of my face. They shot very good. At 430 yards about a 1.25" group. That was in 11-15mph winds shot out of my PRS rifle.

I've got 40 rounds of the 135's loaded up. Trying to get out to shoot them but right now we have rain for the next 4 days in the forecast. Suppose to get 1"-2" this afternoon thru tomorrow morning.

Other people that have shot them I've all heard very good reviews on and no complaints.

How they shoot for each individual and price and willing to pay...that is for each shooter to figure out/justify.

The BC of the bullets I will say is as advertised and not made up.

The original alum. tip bullets I believe even prior to the 7mm's was the .50bmg AMAX bullet which they still make. Bruce's comment on the twist rates of barrels available or considered the standard back then probably didn't help at all.

later, Frank

These bullets are certainly going to be more expensive than anything else available over here Frank and our dollar continues to fall against the US dollar which isn't helping. Given the price, do you see these as being worth the extra cost over the likes of Berger and custom bullets like Barts? And as far as the 6.5s go, did they like to be jammed or jumped?

Willow, Understood on the costs!

Why did I smile? No load tuning/development at all. I rand the same load I use for the 147's and the 150SMK.

41.5gr. of H4350.
Bullets where .010" off the lands.

Virtually a flat waterline at 117 yards and at 430 yards. Nice tight groups and again shot them in 11-15mph winds.

I only have about 120 bullets of the 153gr and right now a 100 of the 135's. I'm waiting for more to get here any day now. I have 40 rounds loaded of the 135's and have been waiting to get out and give them the first test but in the last 30 days we've had 20 days of rain. Suppose to rain all day today. I'm hoping I can shoot some this weekend as later Sunday and early next week all rain in the forecast and we are shooting in a PRS match next week Saturday. I'm hoping I have enough bullets to shoot the match. I need 80 rounds min. So I don't have a lot of bullets to test/play with right now and I want to run them in the match next weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank Green

#19 Postby Frank Green » Thu May 02, 2019 11:51 pm

For reference my wedding ring is .924" in diameter. This is at 430 yards. My ring/finger is covering 3 of the 5 rounds. You can see one impact above and one at about 7 o'clock position from my ring. Top left is just the flash from my cell phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elwood

#20 Postby Elwood » Fri May 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Frank Green wrote:For reference my wedding ring is .924" in diameter. This is at 430 yards. My ring/finger is covering 3 of the 5 rounds. You can see one impact above and one at about 7 o'clock position from my ring. Top left is just the flash from my cell phone.

Now that's going to make people sit up and take notice :D

Bigtravoz

#21 Postby Bigtravoz » Sat May 04, 2019 9:50 pm

Frank Green wrote:
The original alum. tip bullets I believe even prior to the 7mm's was the .50bmg AMAX bullet which they still make. Bruce's comment on the twist rates of barrels available or considered the standard back then probably didn't help at all.

later, Frank

I actually recall aluminium tipped hunting bullets available when I was a kid and Winchester actually made a big thing of them back in the 80S-90s. Remember them being popular in 270 for a while but they soon went out of fad. Bit like how Levi 501s had a popularity in the early 90s. Think Winchester called them silver tips from memory, weren’t that dissimilar looking to hornady’s new one.

Bigtravoz

#22 Postby Bigtravoz » Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Tried to find something about them on google but there’s jack shit other than a few mentions about them being a 140 grain 277 projectile that didn’t last more than a few years in the early 90s. I actually can still see a picture in my mind of the old advertising material showing a cutaway of the projectile showing how the tip extended into the projectile and the profile was very similar to the a tip. Not sure what the bc was but for factory ammunition of its time it was from memory fairly high. I remember shooting kangaroos with them and they either pencilled through if they didn’t hit bone but if they hit a bone they basically exploded and failed to get any decent penetration. They were really a shit bullet which is why they didn’t last long.

Don’t think I will run out and buy the a tip in a hurry when there are projectiles that are equally as good for 1/3rd the price.

Frank Green

#23 Postby Frank Green » Mon May 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Bigtravoz wrote:
Frank Green wrote:

later, Frank

I actually recall aluminium tipped hunting bullets available when I was a kid and Winchester actually made a big thing of them back in the 80S-90s. Remember them being popular in 270 for a while but they soon went out of fad. Bit like how Levi 501s had a popularity in the early 90s. Think Winchester called them silver tips from memory, weren’t that dissimilar looking to hornady’s new one.

What I would call the original Winchester Silver Tips where all hunting bullets and I want to say they started making them back like in the late 50's or early 60's. None of them where ever designed as match bullets. Almost a cross between a pointed bullet and a round nose is how they look to me. Not sure what all of the different calibers they where made in. I've seen .308win, and .270win. They also made pistol ammo in the Winchester Silver Tip line up as well. The style of material in the pistol bullets looked the same as the rifle bullets. I still have like 2 boxes of the .32acp ammo.

bruce moulds

#24 Postby bruce moulds » Tue May 07, 2019 7:49 pm

trav,
I remember the silvertip.
if it were a soft point it would have had a huge amount of lead exposed.
but this lead was covered in tin.
this had the effect of giving a bit of initial penetration followed by almost blowup.
I used them in100 gn for 25/06 and 130 gn 270.
I would rate those bullets in those cartridges as being suited to fallow deer with selected shots.
they were relatively blunt.
another bullet I tried in 130 gn 270 was Remington bronze point.
they were somewhat more streamlined, and promoted as a long range hunting bullet.
they either pencilled through or blew up, as you described.
of those old bullets the Remington corelokt was probably the most reliable and predictable.
interestingly Remington now has a bullet they claim is a bonded core corelokt.
people report and Remington agrees that the bullet is somewhat less accurate than corelokt original.
now you can buy northfork, swift aframe and barnes x.
life is good.
back when I shot ipsc, Winchester had a tin coated alloy bullet.
the entire bullet looked like the tip of a silvertip.
they were good cheap bullets for that job, and required no lubricant.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Bigtravoz

#25 Postby Bigtravoz » Sun May 12, 2019 9:49 am

The ones I am referring to were only available for a short time in the early nineties they were I believe only released in 270 and I believe in 140 grain and they were indeed an aluminium tip and were a high bc boat tail. My brother probably still has a few somewhere. I clearly remember the advertising as well that appeared in most of the shooting magazines at the time.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”