electronic scales

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

twotwothree

electronic scales

#1 Postby twotwothree » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:03 am

Hello, looking at buying electronic scales to weigh powder charges after they come out of the auto thrower. Any one know a good set.
I see the Gem Pro 250 gets a good review but I dont think they make them anymore. Thanks

NDOliver

Re: electronic scales

#2 Postby NDOliver » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:52 pm

I can sell you my GP 250 if you're interested, $100 inc postage. Not ideal for trickling but accurate for static weighing such as out of an auto thrower (I used the GP to check powder throws before upgrading). If you're trickling, you can also tap the pan lightly with the powder in the pan and let the scale reweigh.
The nearest replacement is the GP 300: https://www.medshop.com.au/products/myw ... 60g-x-0001

twotwothree

#3 Postby twotwothree » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Is this the case with all of these types of scales that you need to move the pan when trickling to re weigh or just this model. Thanks

NDOliver

#4 Postby NDOliver » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Strain gauge scales such as the GP can weigh to within 0.02 grains if the load being weighed is static. If you trickle, a strain gauge scale has more difficulty registering compared to a scale with magnetic force restoration such as the A&D.

To get around this, you can lift the pan on a strain gauge scale and replace it after trickling or you can lightly tap the pan and get a new reading. Just a bit slower that the MFR scale.

Scales with magnetic force restoration deliver a stable reading more quickly when trickling.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”