Just starting out

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Jakec27

Just starting out

#1 Postby Jakec27 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Gday everyone
My name is Jake and I’m just looking to get started in F class. What would be a good recommend set up for myself to get? Looking at shooting f open. Any other information you would like to pass on would be great or if anyone knows of a good second hand suitable rifle for sale as well
Cheers

RJNEILSEN

Re: Just starting out

#2 Postby RJNEILSEN » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Hey Jake,
Where are you located? Have you joined a rifle club yet?

Cheers,
Ryan.

Jakec27

#3 Postby Jakec27 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi Ryan. I’m in Bendigo hoping to join Bendigo south rifle club in next few weeks when I’m back from holidays

RJNEILSEN

#4 Postby RJNEILSEN » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of good people here who will give you advice. The best thing to do is contact the club and sign up. Most clubs have loan rifles available to use until you sort out your own gear. Don't rush into buying your first f-class rifle if you don't have to.

Ryan.

GSells

#5 Postby GSells » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 am

What RJ Said ! But also if you can find a good omark and get a barrel adapter and maybe a Vortex scope in MoA and a new Maddco barrel chambered in that Manbun cal , the 6.5 creedmore. That is most likely a good starting point . Maybe get in Touch with the VRA President Albert Van wyk , who is a very accomplished FO shooter and may point you in the right direction!

Jakec27

#6 Postby Jakec27 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Okay no worries thanks very much guys. There is a savage model 12 pro in 6.5 creedmoor at my local gun shop for sale that I thought might be alright but I’ll try and speak to a few people at the rifle club in Bendigo before I do anything as I’d rather save up for a proper target rifle if I can use something in the interim

Cheers

Barossa_222

#7 Postby Barossa_222 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:28 pm

I'd look at a 308 in any rifle that takes your fancy and just shoot it with good reloads or the NRAA ammo. You'll learn a lot more and have some fun. Getting kicked up and down the range by accomplished open shooters is never fun and it can hurt the hip pocket starting in open with limited experience.

Steer away from Omarks and Nielsons and all that old rubbish, better off with a second hand Tikka or Howa. I think someone was barrelling Tikka actions with GRS stocks suitable for F class for pretty fair money. That's where I'd be looking to start, unless you are really set on F Class, then save your dollars and buy the best rig you can afford.

I dicked around early in the piece and learnt what not to waste money on. I should have bought/built one right from the get go when the dollar was up, but you live and learn. I now try and advise people to learn from my mistakes.

Jakec27

#8 Postby Jakec27 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:42 pm

No worries thanks. Do you know who it was doing them tikka actions and grs stocks? Or do you think a savage model 12 f class in 308 would be a good place to start?

bad_primer

#9 Postby bad_primer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:20 pm

I fully Second what Barossa said. Start with .308 and learn with club gun for as long as you can or get a good tikka or a Howa And get it re-barreled. Shooting F-TR or standard will give you a good place competitively to learn and not get caught up with the arms race that F-open is and .308 is a good calibre to learn to load with.

Old Trev-39

#10 Postby Old Trev-39 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:32 pm

If you start with a good action it will stay with you forever. Whatever class you start in, you can always re -barrel into a different calibre. A club member up here in N.Q. has just re-barrelled into .284W and is doing quite well. What ever you do buy the best optics at the start and you will not have to outlay a big expense again. As the say buy once and cry once, then enjoy.
Cheers,
Trevor.

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Jakec27 wrote:No worries thanks. Do you know who it was doing them tikka actions and grs stocks? Or do you think a savage model 12 f class in 308 would be a good place to start?

I think it was CRM Gun Sports in Cairns was building the Tikka actioned GRS stocked F Class rifles. If you ring them, Shane Green is an accomplished F Class shooter who will be able to help.
If you don't go for one of them, I reckon either a Savage F class rifle, in 308, or buy an already set up rifle from the for sale section in this forum. If you buy a 308 and the barrel is shot out (it will likely be close if it is for sale) then you just get it rechambered to either 308 or something else which takes your fancy.

bobbyaxe

#12 Postby bobbyaxe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:09 pm

I started out shooting F Class open by accident. I really wanted to just shoot long distances and the guys at BCRC were happy to have visitors shoot on their targets and also gave plenty of advice and help along the way.

I've noticed a lot of people come and go with F Class. They spend a lot of money on buying the best gear etc, only to realize that it's not really for them.

For my first year and a bit, I used a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor HV 24in, with a Nightforce SHV F1, a maple hunting stock with a Harris bipod (i originally started with a sandbag). As it was my only rifle at the time it also went on my hunting trips (if this is your first rifle get something you can use for multiple things). After a while i began to upgrade parts of the rifle, I bought a Nightforce Competiton Scope, a timeny trigger, an F Class stock, and now I've had a bartlien barrel added to it. It's also worth noting the Howa factory rifle, with handloads has given me a couple of 60's, which I can't complain about.

In regards to reloading, pretty early on it became a necessity, as Match Grade rounds for the 6.5 Creedmoor were running around $2.50 a shot and reloading them was $1.10.

My suggestions would be:

1. Spend as much as you can on the scope (as everyone has said) - My SHV was probably double the value of my rifle - but it's worth it.
2. If it's your first rifle - get a multipurpose rifle in case you tire of F Class.
3. Once you've found you really enjoy the sport and you have sufficient funds, find a great gunsmith and buy a custom rifle. The way I did it probably wasn't the best way looking back.
4. Reloading.... Go and see what other F Class shooters use in the process, everyone is different. Just don't listen to the average joe who isn't going for the level of precision we're chasing.

Hopefully, this helps a bit.

Good luck and have fun.
Happy to help if needed

Jakec27

#13 Postby Jakec27 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks very much for all the info everyone has given me a lot to think about. I have owned a couple of Howas and still own one in 30-06 and I have always liked them for hunting. I thought I would give f class a go because I love seeing what best groups I can shoot with either my 30-06 or 22-250 hunting rifles and at what distances etc. I think I might get another Howa in 308 heavy 26” barrel and go from there and get something like a Sightron or Nightforce shv scope and see how I go from there for a while. The only thing I have no idea about is reloading so I’ll be buying factory ammunition for a while until I get a bit better of an idea from a few other people once I join a club

Jason72

#14 Postby Jason72 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:45 am

Hi Jake

You sound a lot like me, I only started shooting F-class two years ago after a mate pestered me to give it a go for 12 months.
I thought target shooting would be boring because I shoot roo's, pigs etc but target shooting is actually fun and quite addictive. It will also help your hunting as for me a long shot was 200 yards but now I feel quite comfortable shooting longer distances.

My advice as a Newby like me is to get advice from someone at the club who is an accomplished shooter and re-loader. They have the runs on the board and from what I have experienced are very happy to help out new members. I was lucky as my mate was an excellent shooter and spent the time with me on shooting technique, reading the wind, load development etc plus the club members are all willing to help which is great.

Speaking of addiction, target shooting is just like fishing, once you are hooked you will want to buy the shiniest lure in the shop so again talk to a club member so you don't waste your money.

I don't disagree with the previous posts about starting out with a Tikka or Howa as this may suit most budgets but if you can, 'buy once and cry once', because you will most likely find you will like the sport and regret having to purchase something more suited to the sport after forking out cash for a Tikka etc.
From my experience, someone who hunts with both a Tikka and a Howa, they are not the same quality of say a Barnard action which is suited for target shooting, is great quality and lasts forever.

So an important point if you are not quite sure if you will continue with target shooting, like others have said, try the club rifle first for a while and after a few weeks of shooting at the club and talking to other shooters you will have a better idea if you want to continue and then buy a rifle you afford and is suited to target shooting plus the reloading gear.

Don't be frightened of reloading but another very important point is to learn from someone who is accomplished, everyone can reload but not everyone is an expert, plus once you know how to reload you will be able to reload for your hunting rifles which will improve their accuracy as well.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Cheer, Jason

Mozzie

#15 Postby Mozzie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:55 pm

I’m with you bobbyaxe, Howa 6.5 Creedmoor in a GRS stock,
Good reloading gear, is a great place to start and finish.
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

Return to “Equipment & Technical”