Is my scope Broke ?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Rich4

Re: Is my scope Broke ?

#16 Postby Rich4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:51 am

Thanks very much for explaining that, the scope I had in mind is only 20x would I be better off to get a cheap bore sighter? Or would the grat and telescope be better? Optics is not something I’ve done a lot with, but the rest is easy

GSells

#17 Postby GSells » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:36 am

Wow , some great info coming out !
Well Et’s Are great in that going back I’m seeing a pattern! And that is shots go 1 moa low , I then adjust and the shots go over the top in the 11 o’clock 4-5 ring .

I believe I have ( well in my mind ) found the range that the scope went on the fritz !
4080AB44-C6CA-4263-8AB9-1DA643835338.png

This was with the 280 ai , where she put 3 shots through the same hole in the x ring 58.6 with a well known and familiar 4 ring low shot .

Then again Australia Day shot with the 280 ai looks very much like the 300 yd target I shot with the 284 w Bart .
9CBF048C-1EEB-4929-AE0C-AC3D71FA3AE7.png

Low shots with shots over the top at 11 o’clock!
Looking at other Et shots over different ranges is showing a trend . Sometimes it would behave then bang ! Go wild !

I am really starting to have a bit of hope as this has been very trying for me ! I’ll throw the Mil rad scope ( don’t worry Mil rad were my first language that I am comfortable with ) and shoot a group at 100 m.
1821D383-CF12-41F0-AF85-04956EDB0919.jpeg

Above is basically what is happening. Centre one is 5 shots through the same hole and then I’ll get 1/2 moa or worse vertical which transcends down range !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pjifl

#18 Postby pjifl » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Rich4,

A boresighter is almost useless in this role. It is equivalent to about a 4X Riflescope at its best. The Astronomical Telescope + special Graticule is by far the best. I will write more on this but am very tired at the moment after driving back home through Rain after shooting today.

Peter Smith.

GSells

#19 Postby GSells » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Ok , I sent my scope away and the awesome people at NF have done there testing and ......
Yep nothing wrong with it ! So , must be me ! :shock:

GSells

#20 Postby GSells » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Look I have had issues with my 100 m grouping ability and confidence! But yesterday made some changes and back to my old self again ! I hope this continues! So not all scope that is for sure !
65217966-E5D8-4386-8FB6-6FA5395A195E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce moulds

#21 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:29 am

does one group an accurate scope make?
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Tim L

#22 Postby Tim L » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 am

GSells wrote:Ok , I sent my scope away and the awesome people at NF have done there testing and ......

Or the testing fixed the problem. :wink:

GSells

#23 Postby GSells » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 am

Tim L wrote:
GSells wrote:Ok , I sent my scope away and the awesome people at NF have done there testing and ......

Or the testing fixed the problem. :wink:

Yes most likely! I think if I have problems like this again , a good exercise of the knobs is in order ! And then retest! NF Comps scopes are simply the best !! But this one has been chucked around in planes and has just done a lot of work . But for now I’ll say it was just me ! :D

GSells

#24 Postby GSells » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:28 am

Just FYI , above group was shot with my NF Nxs in Mils . I’ll have a crack at a local opm this weekend and haven’t competed in Fopen with mils for about 3-4 yrs now . So will be interesting haha!

GSells

#25 Postby GSells » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am

Brilliant Customer service From NF . I have my scope back already and will have it mounted for the weekend! Awesome!

GSells

#26 Postby GSells » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Ok scope back on rifle . I did do some retuning work also but rifle works again .
I think I might send my scope away every 12 months or so and pay them to give it a service. Maybe just a prudent thing to do to avoid a situation as I went through. Which I wouldn’t wish upon anyone as you are just second guessing everything while your form and confidence go screaming down the toilet.

Look I’m still a NF bloke through and through. Scopes are mechanical like cars and an occasional service I think isn’t a bad thing .

Ok , is the 280 Ackley guilty , well we can know without doubt say “ NO “ I think the group that was shot at 1000 yds just before things started playing up proves it was a capable cal of that 58.6 and putting 3 or 4 shots through the same hole. That Lowell twiddled the knobs for ! I am still going Saum , the bolt is ordered and will have it going most likely by the end of the year .

So the moral of the story maybe “ a bit of preventative maintenance, Prevents P*# POOR performance! “

Lucky it didn’t happen in the middle of a teams event ! Lesson learnt! [-X

KHGS

#27 Postby KHGS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 am

GSells wrote:Ok scope back on rifle . I did do some retuning work also but rifle works again .
I think I might send my scope away every 12 months or so and pay them to give it a service. Maybe just a prudent thing to do to avoid a situation as I went through. Which I wouldn’t wish upon anyone as you are just second guessing everything while your form and confidence go screaming down the toilet.

Look I’m still a NF bloke through and through. Scopes are mechanical like cars and an occasional service I think isn’t a bad thing .

Ok , is the 280 Ackley guilty , well we can know without doubt say “ NO “ I think the group that was shot at 1000 yds just before things started playing up proves it was a capable cal of that 58.6 and putting 3 or 4 shots through the same hole. That Lowell twiddled the knobs for ! I am still going Saum , the bolt is ordered and will have it going most likely by the end of the year .

So the moral of the story maybe “ a bit of preventative maintenance, Prevents P*# POOR performance! “

Lucky it didn’t happen in the middle of a teams event ! Lesson learnt! [-X

Everybody should be aware of, and practice the "7 P's" they are, Prior & Proper Planing Prevent Piss Poor Performance.........think about that for a bit......they apply to pretty much everything in life!!!!
Keith H.

GSells

#28 Postby GSells » Fri May 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Well with huge vertical in my shooting that totally destroyed my Mojo and confidence, nearly chopped a great cal that was working fine ( 280 ai ) and basically was just bad !! What was it ? The chicken or the egg ? Mucka opm proved to myself that unexplainable vertical and wild shots are long gone !

But I am still none the wiser why !!
The scope was sent away and came back “ all good “ .

I literally shots 100’s of rounds down range at 100 m’s in a wholesale approach in my shooting technique and rear plate and rifle positions. One thing I found was the front stop had come loose and the rifle had moved forward In the Seb rest . Another thing was had another rear plate made up with spikes .
I also changed my position of my off hand on the Seb knob too just touching it and even letting go of the knob when I fired . What I do now when I’m under pressure shooting in a comp would be interesting to see , especially when I’m machine gunning through a condition!

I also went back to what worked in the past with a sand back under my trigger forearm and tucked my elbow in to an old position. Then tested this on another scope and a known barrel and cal . Then I was grouping again .

So did the testing and banging fix the scope and my wholesale approach to shooting technique fix the problem? Or was it just me the whole time ??

Look with so many variables it’s a hard one to nail down . I can only say the problems have gone away and let’s hope they stay there !

I wish this never happens to anyone!! It was just awful seeing your skill go down the toilet and it’s just such a hard road to come back from !

Anyway below is NF testing their scopes . I’ll always be a NF Bloke ! They are that good in my mind !

Happy shooting with plenty of x’s

https://youtu.be/gMNg0q7IMB0

wsftr

#29 Postby wsftr » Sat May 11, 2019 7:43 am

I always find scope testing so weird...I never take my scope and bang it on something or throw it down the field, I stick it on my rifle and shoot it...why don't they test them that way....the vibrations going through the scope will be very different.
Everything I've read and experienced so far...my money is on the scope.
I use NF exclusively.

Gyro

#30 Postby Gyro » Sat May 11, 2019 8:04 am

Good story !!! Truth is theres lots of things that can compromise accuracy to varying levels and perhaps u still dont know what it was ?

I reckon thats one of the main reasons the top shooters are good is because they have been around long enough to know how to stay clear of all the stuff that can bite u, which means LOTS of experience and preperation.

I've been competitive F shooting for just 10 years and am still learning heaps.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”