How to hit the bullseye at 900 yd?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Buckshot

Re: How to hit the bullseye at 900 yd?

#16 Postby Buckshot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:18 pm

G'day Mozzie,

The scope is a nikko stirling panamax 8-24 i think with a half mil dot reticle. Got it from cleavers a couple months ago for $149 :mrgreen: at full power it is a bit funny to look through but it was all i could afford at the time. It has the knob at the front of scope to adjust the focus.

I dont have any 5 shot groups as i havnt really ever done groups or any practice at all on paper. I only done those ones to try find a good vertical load and after looking at the result i made 24 bullets at 41.0 and headed out to the range on saturday to try it. That ocw test i shot in a round robbin fashion with one shot at each target to try even it out. Prior to that i was using 39.6 at .210 jump which was only giving a .36 moa group in a cloverleaf shape which i used at the 200 and 300 yd range those 2 times. I think this gun can shoot 1 hole at 100 yards once i figure out what it likes. The 41.0 grain load needs 26 moa come up to be in the 6 ring at 900 yards at our range i found so thats about 2660 fps which seems low compared to what others run. Ive heard some blokes get good nodes around 2730 fps and supposedly a higher one up above 2800 but i got a cratered primer at 41.7 and 0.020 jump and a slightly stiff bolt at 42.0 on one of those 3 shots.

Buckshot

#17 Postby Buckshot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:25 pm

:lol: All my shooting up till now has been at critters and im sad to admit it but ive bagged quiet a few

Buckshot

#18 Postby Buckshot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks Argh,

Just had a look at the plot sheet link you posted and that idea looks interesting. Never seen it before so i might have to see if i can get a better understanding of how it works. Hopefully youtube will have a vid to save a very long written explanation.
Whats the word on getting my hands on or printing out target sections and gluing them together that are exactly the same as what we use on the range? Is there file we can print? If so where can we find them? To help me get familiar with shooting at them faster? Otherwise its a 7 week wait to have another go at 900.

Is there any easy way to check hits on long range test targets rather than riding the motorbike down range after each shot to look at target?
Thanks

lonerider43

#19 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:07 pm

shot camera,i think theres one in the for sale section.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Buckshot

#20 Postby Buckshot » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 pm

The wind book for rifle shooters looks like it has a lot of good reviews on amazon.

That book costs almost as much as my gun :mrgreen: I see they have a kindle version coming out in June and a hardcover coming out next month. Will try to get my hands on it one way or another thanks for the tip wsftr

benculton

#21 Postby benculton » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey Buckshot,

I'm a newbie to the sport and to shooting. I got to shoot 4 ranges at 900 yards this weekend for the first time and scored 42.0,50.1,51.4 and 47.0. So I'd be pretty happy with your scores if I was you.

Chasing those super centers does get addicting, doesn't it.

I can't be much help with wind reading or the likes but might be able to point you in the right direction for targets and dimensions.

Not sure where you're located. The VRA has a shop and they sell the target centers for the different distances. For 900 yards you would be chasing this:

Target Centre ICFRA - Long Range
and
Target Super V's LR pk 10

VRA Shop

Also the rules for can be found at

Rules

Down around page 64 onwards you'll find all the dimensions for the different targets.

Cheers.

Ben.

Buckshot

#22 Postby Buckshot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:03 am

Thanks Ben, that looks like what Im after. Im up in North NSW. I was handed a rule book from the club champ just after the shoot but I havnt had a good look through it yet. Thanks for the links.
The reason i want to try get a target the same is i want to set in up in full sun and wait till around 1 pm and get back there and just lay there on the ground and watch it. I want to try learn how far it appears to move depending on the mirage, ive got the half mil dots in my scope so maybe if i can get ideas of how far it moves compared to the angle and speed of the waves it might help.
My strategy for the shoot was to try keep the horizontal cross hairs in waterline and chase spotter pretty much. The strategy failed as i was always shooting to what the condition was for last shot. I could see the mirage changing in the scope but couldnt link what i was seeing in scope to what the flags were doing. I had no confidence in any of the shots as the flags and mirage constantly changed. At one point flags were going one way but bullet seemed to drift into the wind. Nothing made sense, If i had a target the same I could get a lot of scope time and plink shots and hopefully make sense of whats going on. I was totaly focused on flags, mirage, my hold, trigger, so much that id lost track of time completely and im not sure how long my string took but must of been too long as the champ mentioned that theres a time limit afterwards.

One post in this thread mentions a rythm or procedure for each shot... for the high scorers, what is your procedure? And does it involve aiming slightly high or low depending on what you see or is it always a waterline shot?

Buckshot

#23 Postby Buckshot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:24 am

Appologies for over running the forum with soo many questions guys but once involved in something, i try to be competitive. Played darts years ago at state level of play A grade and I practiced at least 3 hrs a day to get those shots on target with confidence :D

michaeljp

#24 Postby michaeljp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:19 am

Try acsswan.com.au for targets. There are in WA. They have an online catalogue.

pjifl

#25 Postby pjifl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:37 am

Mirage is most effectively assessed by watching the top or bottom of the target edge. It appears to trickle or dance across the edge and shows most clearly across the edge. So if you are building a practice target, have a proper frame with a hard edge. You will pick up mirage changes by watching the horizontal edge when others will not see them. In heavy overcast of course, mirage will be absent and you must work on flags.
Always mentally assign a numerical value of aimoff or sight setting (probably minutes) to the mirage or flags. This lets you communicate with others. Reading all you want about mirage is not a patch on practice and comparing with other's calls.

An incredibly useful exercise is for a few spectators to all watch through their scopes and call out an estimate in minutes for every shot by someone else - before the target comes up. The shooter will then call out what setting he used and everyone can assess their calls when the target is marked. Don't be shy about getting the call wrong. In fact this will show just how often experienced shooters get it wrong.

Since shots are often fired in bursts, a rhythm is very useful. Of course one has to be prepared to call small breaks in a shoot when conditions change markedly. Dont rush - but dont wast time either.

On manual targets, reload as the target goes down but do not close the bolt. If necessary, recenter the rifle on the space where the target will reappear. Glance at the flags and make an assessment of changes.
You should have some idea of whether the sight has to change for changing flags before the target comes up. Watch through the riflescope as the target reappears - this is an excellent check that you are on the correct target.

Assess mentally in minutes how far your shot is from centre. Look at target top (or bottom) for mirage and assess its change. You should then have a mental figure in your head of the next sight setting to use.

Check it is the right target, place X hairs close to the target centre and only then close the bolt when you are satisfied you are on the correct target. Then a quick glance at the flags.

This protocol can develop into a rhythm - but always be prepared to stop for small intervals if necessary.

In general, minutes is a more appropriate measure on our targets because the target ring spacing is based on minutes. Never bother to think in cm or inches on a target since we shoot many distances - always think in minutes of angle.

Peter Smith

Buckshot

#26 Postby Buckshot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:31 am

Awesome post Peter,

I will re read it many times to get it to sink in. Words of wisdom right there !

I love the idea of getting the shooters interactive and training together with the excercise you described, rather than everyone in the club secretly doing their own thing ignoring each others shots. A club that practiced that technique together would be tough to beat in a club vs club event as the wind reading skill of the team would be hopefully dragged up the ladder to where the better shooters are already at. Thanks Peter, Great post =D>

scott/r

#27 Postby scott/r » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Yep, good advice from Mr Smith. Even if you can't get others to join in, practice wind and mirage calls yourself. I taught myself by shooting center of target and making a call as to where I thought it hit the target according to conditions for that shot. Once the target came back up, you'll have your answer as to how correct your call was. This was on practice days of course. On club comp days would take that same principle, but actually adjust for it according to my call, or more commonly wait for the conditions to come back to where they were previously.

wsftr

#28 Postby wsftr » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 pm

try this for recording shots - a little more expensive than the book :?
https://www.autotrickler.com/shotmarker.html

Buckshot

#29 Postby Buckshot » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks to all those who replied. Hopefully a few other newcomers picked up a trick or two from the thread as well as myself. I know the Rifle is less than Ideal but for now It will get me in the game while I learn the ropes. Thanks again for the tips

!Peter!

#30 Postby !Peter! » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:08 am

To add to Peter Smith's post on mirage, I've attached a good description of mirage that I found here http://southtexasshooting.org/multimedi ... irage.html

The formatting on the webpage is not the best so I took the time a while ago to copy it into a word document and clean it up
Mirage and Conditions That Effect Target Image in Rifle Shooting.pdf

Enjoy your journey!

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”