Problems with CCI 450s

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Trevor Rhodes

Re: Problems with CCI 450s

#46 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Matt P wrote:
Trevor Rhodes wrote:I'm still using federals since last post and still no miss fires. Can the Barnard firing pins be adjusted? Someone told me there is a Barnard firing pin with washers like the RPA for sale, any idea who is selling them.

Trevor
Have you measured your pin protrusion ? I haven't seen a Barnard out of spec yet, but there's always a first.
Yes there is an aftermarket titanium pin available but the reduction in mass (wont help pin impact) and the increased bolt lift isn't very attractive.
Do you have misfires with neck sized only cases ?
Have you tried a different batch of 450 primers ?
I've fired 1000's of CCI450's in several Barnards and never had an issue, as the Australian distributor for Barnard products I'd like to get to the bottom of these issues and separate fact from fiction.
Regards
Matt Paroz

Matt all my cases are neck tuned.
l bump the shoulder so there is a little friction on closing the bolt with firing pin removed.
I have 3000 primers l have got a different times and tried them all.
Cant measure pin protrusion as bolt face rim is in the way.

KHGS

#47 Postby KHGS » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:
Matt P wrote:
Trevor Rhodes wrote:I'm still using federals since last post and still no miss fires. Can the Barnard firing pins be adjusted? Someone told me there is a Barnard firing pin with washers like the RPA for sale, any idea who is selling them.

Trevor
Have you measured your pin protrusion ? I haven't seen a Barnard out of spec yet, but there's always a first.
Yes there is an aftermarket titanium pin available but the reduction in mass (wont help pin impact) and the increased bolt lift isn't very attractive.
I've fired 1000's of CCI450's in several Barnards and never had an issue, as the Australian distributor for Barnard products I'd like to get to the bottom of these issues and separate fact from fiction.
Regards
Matt Paroz

l bump the shoulder so there is a little friction on closing the bolt with firing pin removed.

Measure the depth of the bolt face recess, then measure from the outer edge of the boltface recess to the firing pin tip. subtract one measurement from the other, the difference is the firing pin protrusion which should be .050" to .062".
Keith H.

Trevor Rhodes

#48 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:45 pm

KHGS wrote:
Trevor Rhodes wrote:
Matt P wrote:Trevor
Regards
Matt Paroz

Measure the depth of the bolt face recess, then measure from the outer edge of the boltface recess to the firing pin tip. subtract one measurement from the other, the difference is the firing pin protrusion which should be .050" to .062".
Keith H.

Matt i have 5 Barnards and measured 3. Had to measure each one 10 times for an average.
My oldest 02 .052 09 .054 and my newest 17 .061
The 02 and 09 models are my f/standard rifles in which the miss fires happen.

Matt P

#49 Postby Matt P » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi Trev
Protrusion isn't the problem, when were the springs last replaced ??
If they haven't been replaced in the life of the action, that would be my first recommendation.
The other thing to check is that the pin isn't dragging, easiest way the check is remove the cap and cocking sleeve and make sure the pin falls with no resistance.
If you need springs, I have them in stock. If you want me to install them and check over the bolts, feel free to give me a call on 0402230877.
Regards
Matt P

Trevor Rhodes

#50 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Matt P wrote:Hi Trev
Protrusion isn't the problem, when were the springs last replaced ??
If they haven't been replaced in the life of the action, that would be my first recommendation.
The other thing to check is that the pin isn't dragging, easiest way the check is remove the cap and cocking sleeve and make sure the pin falls with no resistance.
If you need springs, I have them in stock. If you want me to install them and check over the bolts, feel free to give me a call on 0402230877.
Regards
Matt P

Thanks Matt l will get you to check the the 2 oldest. I got a replacement spring for the 02 model off you quiet a few years ago never installed it. Looks like you need a jig to replace them. Give you a call in the morning.

Trevor Rhodes

#51 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm

I have fired 700 rounds in 3 barnards since changing to Federal gold match and not one miss fire. Es did not alter and l are much happier.

Pommy Chris

#52 Postby Pommy Chris » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Just started using other primers and getting this issue with last batch and fed up with it. I think there is an issue with new batch.
Chris

cheech

#53 Postby cheech » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:26 pm

I must have a good batch as I’ve gone through at least 3000 , we load for 2 people and multiple actions -Barnard , Kelbly , Remington. They’ve Been good enough to fill the trophy cabinet . Hope I don’t get a bad batch :D :D

Tim L

#54 Postby Tim L » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 am

I think Matt has nailed this one. Speaking from personal experience (with BR4s) I thought I had a bad batch, I marked them up and they went into the back of the cubboard. I got a new batch that performed flawlessly but at around the same time got a decocking holder for the Barnard bolt,,,,,,,!
At WA Queens my LMB action started giving missfires. I put an extra washer in and problem solved. Since then I have decocked it after firing and even removed the washer and not had a missfire since.

I'll pull the dodgy batch of BR4s out and see how they go. I was getting at least 1 missfire in every string so it shouldn't take long to confirm.

I guess the issue here is that there is more than 1 way to solve the missfire problem. Blame the primers, buy something with a softer cup, and the weak spring works again, or, fix the spring (decocking will work for a bit, but at some point it will need to be replaced)

Pommy Chris

#55 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 am

Tim L wrote:I think Matt has nailed this one. Speaking from personal experience (with BR4s) I thought I had a bad batch, I marked them up and they went into the back of the cubboard. I got a new batch that performed flawlessly but at around the same time got a decocking holder for the Barnard bolt,,,,,,,!
At WA Queens my LMB action started giving missfires. I put an extra washer in and problem solved. Since then I have decocked it after firing and even removed the washer and not had a missfire since.

I'll pull the dodgy batch of BR4s out and see how they go. I was getting at least 1 missfire in every string so it shouldn't take long to confirm.

I guess the issue here is that there is more than 1 way to solve the missfire problem. Blame the primers, buy something with a softer cup, and the weak spring works again, or, fix the spring (decocking will work for a bit, but at some point it will need to be replaced)

Hi Tim,
I always decock my bolt. It could be the spring, but it should not be, bolt is decocked after every shoot and only cocked just before and action is not exactly old 2015 I think.
Chris

mike H

#56 Postby mike H » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 am

A reoccurring nightmare.

DannyS

#57 Postby DannyS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:34 am

Whether decocked or not, firing pin springs can still loose their strength. De- cocking will help but the spring is still under tension.
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Pommy Chris

#58 Postby Pommy Chris » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 am

DannyS wrote:Whether decocked or not, firing pin springs can still loose their strength. De- cocking will help but the spring is still under tension.

True, but if Barnard spring is worn out in 4 years just being under tension then it is not a good spring. There are military actions with 50 year old springs which are still hitting very hard with no miss fires. Either Barnard are making springs out of old coat hangers or CCI are the problem.
Chris

DenisA

#59 Postby DenisA » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 am

Pommy Chris wrote:CCI are the problem.
Chris

Agreed. I shoot 3 x Savage target actioned rifles all of which use the same bolt. In 10 years, I've never had misfires until I started using .308 Palma brass in one with CCI450's and that's the only one that misfires.... same bolt same firing pin protrusion. I only neck size. At first I thought it would only be a fire forming issue which saw an estimated 25% misfires. Going to CCI400 fixed the fireforming issue. Back to CCI450's after fireforming and now 6 x firings later I still get some random misfires now and then. Especially after I anneal and shoulder bump .001" which I do approx. every 4 firings.

KHGS

#60 Postby KHGS » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:18 am

Pommy Chris wrote:
DannyS wrote:Whether decocked or not, firing pin springs can still loose their strength. De- cocking will help but the spring is still under tension.

True, but if Barnard spring is worn out in 4 years just being under tension then it is not a good spring. There are military actions with 50 year old springs which are still hitting very hard with no miss fires. Either Barnard are making springs out of old coat hangers or CCI are the problem.
Chris

Technically you are not correct. Military actions have long firing pin falls (read long locktimes) which does not enhance fine accuracy, but does make them more reliable in the ignition stakes. The shorter the pin fall (faster lock time) the less reliable the firing pin spring will be and the more often they should be replaced. A good rule of thumb is to have the firing pin spring replaced with a new barrel. Usually subtle accuracy issues will begin to occur before misfiring occurs.
All primer manufacturers produce faulty batches of primers from time to time, I have seen faulty batches across all of the major manufacturers.
I have found that small rifle primers do not like excessive preload. I had a customers 223 target rifle come in with a misfiring problem, which persisted after replacing the firing pin spring, long story short, the rifle could be made to misfire with any primer depending on how the primer was seated, it took some time & head scratching to get to the bottom of that one!!!
Keith H.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”