One Scope on Multiple Rifles

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlexE

One Scope on Multiple Rifles

#1 Postby AlexE » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi Folks,

I have several quality rifles, but putting quality glass on all of them will kill my bank balance (and in turn, my marriage :P ). Has anyone had any luck getting repeatable results swapping a scope in quality quick detach mounts across rifles?

For example, I took the scope of my 6brx today and put it on my 284. I had to put on an extra 7 minutes of elevation and 3 minutes of wind to zero it from the brx zero. Can I expect when I swap it back over to take of the same 7 minutes of elevation and 3 minutes of wind and be somewhere near the 5 ring?

It sounds like it should work in theory - I was wondering if any e has done this successfully in practice.

I can only shoot one rifle at a time can I get away with one scope?

Alex

Old Trev-39

Re: One Scope on Multiple Rifles

#2 Postby Old Trev-39 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi Alex E,
I do not swap scopes around but I do swap barrels and calibres on my long range bench gun. I have no problems with this, but your situation is a bit different. Removal and replacement have also not caused any problems. I think as long as you record accurately your scope settings for each rifle, you should not have a problem.
Cheers,
Trevor.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Alex,

I've used Leupold QRW and Warne Maxima quick release rings for 15 years in F-Open and usually remove scopes each day after shooting, and swap scopes between rifles. The key requirement is to have good quality rails and in a particular if you are swapping between rifles, make sure the rails are identical in groove spacing.

Steve N

#4 Postby Steve N » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:24 am

Alex As Alan has said with good rails no problem. I don't use quick release rings just the standard picatinny vortex type and removing and replacing or swapping a scope over takes minutes. Change of point of impact for me is not noticeable.

Ras

#5 Postby Ras » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

For a couple of years I used the same scope on both a .308 and a .223 with quick detach mounts I had the same type of rails on both actions and as long as the zeros were know I had no problems there was a 3 min difference in windage and elevations of course but as long as I remembered to set it right could change from one to the other.

Richard

Return to “Equipment & Technical”