Crystal ball me some load ideas please

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

ogre6br

Crystal ball me some load ideas please

#1 Postby ogre6br » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:25 pm

HI
Can you please help me out with some "what ifs" I'm working on?

Becasue of my operations etc I'm not able to handle much recoil. I'd be able to handle a 6.5x55 in LG but I wouldn't be able to lift it to the line to shoot it.
I may be able to handle a 6.5x55 in 17 kg cass LG but there arn't many comps for that down here.

I am building a 30 BR as a light .308 ( recoil issues) I have a Full bore barrel that I'm using.

This is the part where I need your help-- possible projectile and powder selection.

What weight projectile can I use that the 30 BR with 27-30 grains of powder capacity to burn can I use to get out to 1K with the projectile still being S/S. The barrel will finish up somewhere around 28 inches.

I want to build it to the Benchrest LV weight category so I can
compete in as many differnt comps as I am able to.

I know it's not the best option for this but it's the only one I have if I'm going to get on the mound or bench to compete at all.

in the ADI book it lists 125 grainers using 50 compressed of 2208 to get 3150 as a max load.
There are plenty of loads that have been lisdted by BR guys in the stated that list the 118 at 3000 fps using 4198 or benchmark. even a load listing the 125 BIB moly at 3000 using 4198.

a quote from the 30 BR page on 6mmbr.com
(snip)
Currently, the 30BR is used almost exclusively for Benchrest competition. However, we think it has great potential for other applications given its inherent accuracy and superior efficiency. The 30BR can drive a 118gr bullet faster than the 6BR case can drive a 105gr bullet. In fact, the 30BR can push a 125gr bullet faster than a Rem 260 can drive a 123gr Scenar, despite using 10 grains less powder. Using suitable hunting projectiles, the 30BR is a viable deer-hunting round, with ballistics superior to the venerable 30-30. A 112gr bullet going 3000 fps is also going to make quick work of a coyote.
(endsnip)
I extraporlated the velocities gotten by the guys in the states for 30 Br's using 112, 115 118 and 125 grain projectiles also found what BOB in Mackay said he was able to get with his 30 BR and 125 NBT in previous posts.
I compared them to listed 308 Velocities with the same weight projectiles and found about 250 FPS less with the 30 BR than the 308.
I then took the .30 cal 180 A-max (BC of .580) and got the avg of the 308 velocities with a 180 from 2 books (ADI and Nick Harvey) and took 350 FPS off just to be sure.
Gave me a start velocity of 2350 for the 30 BR- at that velocity the 180 A-max is still doing 1225 FPS at 1000 yards acording to an online ballistics program I found.

One gun for all comps and make it the best I can- well thats what I'm doing such as it is. It's all to do with total cost and expected recoil produced. I calc the recoil from another online program I found- it's rough figure but I came in under the 6.5x55 with 142's and they were at the limit of my tolerance so I think it will work.
Do you think my thought process is logical and have I missed out something in my rough reckoning??
If yes what??

So what can you recomend I try and what sort of velocities will I be looking for to stay S/Sonic at 1K??

I know the wind etc will be hell but it's what I have and what I'll have to learn to deal with.

Thanks

later
P

RDavies

#2 Postby RDavies » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:11 am

I dont think I would want it as a competitive 1000yd caliber. If you want to make it into a 30BR, it will be fairly low velocity with the bullets which will suit the barrel.
My suggestion would be to build up a 6BR or a 6.5x47. These rounds will be inherently accurate, great brass is available, doesnt recoil much (I know the 30BR shares these qualities), but will be much better in the wind than a 30BR due to the better velocities (@3000 fps) with the usual weight long range high BC bullets.
If you still want to build one as a fun gun, maybe try the 155gn Lapua first. They have nearly the same BC as the 180gn bullets, but more velocity. They will also take up less powder space and give lower recoil than the 180gn pills.See if you can get it with a long throat (not common for 30BR reamers) and see if Vihta Vouri N530 powder (high energy)will work in it.
Otherwise, leave it as a 308 and use lighter loads of 2206H and 155gn Sierras or Dyer bullets and it will be legal for F class standard. With 155gn Lapuas it might get to 1000yd with a lighter load, but not be allowed for F standard. I have some big kicking hunting rifles (300Wby,458WinMag and 458 Lott) which dont feel too bad under recoil because they have a good recoil pad. The "limbsaver" brand recoil pads are great.

Gord

I don't think the 30 BR

#3 Postby Gord » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:26 am

is what you want.It's a great round but will not hold it's own out to distance.
I would suggest you look at an Improved 6BR of some kind.
These improved cases can push 105.107.115's fast enough to stay ss to the 1000.
If you haven't visited this sight check it out and enjoy....
http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html
You don't need to shoot a boomer to punch paper at distance.
Some good load data there too
Ont0001

Return to “Equipment & Technical”