Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Message
Author
argh
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Central Coast, NSW

Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#1 Postby argh » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:25 pm

In the market for a new cleaning for a 6mm, as my cureent rods are all too big. I have always had Dewey coated rods, but none available at the moment and notice that a lot of rods for sale are stainless or carbon fibre.
Are there any downsides to a stainless rod over a coated rod? Would there be wear on the rifling or is it a non issue?
Cheers
Adrian

John23
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#2 Postby John23 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:28 pm

I recently purchased a gunnslick carbon fibre cleaning rod

It bends and bows like no tomorrow
Makes me nervous and i won’t buy another

Don’t know about other brands

Tim N
Posts: 910
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 pm
Location: Branxton NSW

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#3 Postby Tim N » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:26 pm

I have a couple of gunslick rods and I think they’re great, I use a bore guide too
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

disb
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 am

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#4 Postby disb » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Have heard of gunslicks snapping.
Pro shot stainless for me.

Matt P
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#5 Postby Matt P » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Nothing but Gunslick for me, the handle are superior to anything else on the market. Wouldn't clean a 5R barrel with anything else.
Matt P

chicko
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#6 Postby chicko » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 pm

You could try a parker hale rod as they are coated.

oldman1967
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#7 Postby oldman1967 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 pm

I highly recommend Gunslick carbon fibre rods. I've been using them in different lengths in large and small diameter for the past two years. I shoot nearly every weekend so they get a workout. I always use a bore guide and the correct size patches and have had no problems.

Jarrod Robertson
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#8 Postby Jarrod Robertson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Gunslick carbon rods or nothing here too.

superx10
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 am

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#9 Postby superx10 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Interesting that the 5 r rifling needs a better ball bearing spin characteristic, as I can remember "death of a barrel". Can any one tell me were to purchase these rods.

argh
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Central Coast, NSW

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#10 Postby argh » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks all for the recommendations on the Gunslick. Only one shop I know stocks them so will check if they have the 40" models in stock.

Out of interest, and back to the original question, would Stainless rods be a cause for wearing the barrel, or do we assume that they wont touch the barrel when used with a good bore guide??

Cheers
Adrian

basil
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#11 Postby basil » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:33 pm

John23 wrote:I recently purchased a gunnslick carbon fibre cleaning rod

It bends and bows like no tomorrow
Makes me nervous and i won’t buy another

Don’t know about other brands


One of the advantages, in my opinion. I have borrowed several other brand rods that are no longer straight. They had permanent bends and bows.

Brad Y
Posts: 2017
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#12 Postby Brad Y » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:15 am

Matt P wrote:Nothing but Gunslick for me, the handle are superior to anything else on the market. Wouldn't clean a 5R barrel with anything else.
Matt P


I’ve seen the gunslick ones before and yes they are good. What do you think of the Dewey rods Matt? The handles spin like crazy and the coated rods don’t seem to bend out of shape either.

Matt P
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#13 Postby Matt P » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 am

Brad Y wrote:
Matt P wrote:Nothing but Gunslick for me, the handle are superior to anything else on the market. Wouldn't clean a 5R barrel with anything else.
Matt P


I’ve seen the gunslick ones before and yes they are good. What do you think of the Dewey rods Matt? The handles spin like crazy and the coated rods don’t seem to bend out of shape either.

Brad
I threw all my Dewey rods in the bin !!! IMO the bearings in the handle simply aren't good enough and when loaded up tend to stop turning, and it doesn't require much force for that to happen.
Matt P

ajvanwyk
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#14 Postby ajvanwyk » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:05 am

Matt P wrote:
Brad Y wrote:
Matt P wrote:Nothing but Gunslick for me, the handle are superior to anything else on the market. Wouldn't clean a 5R barrel with anything else.
Matt P


I’ve seen the gunslick ones before and yes they are good. What do you think of the Dewey rods Matt? The handles spin like crazy and the coated rods don’t seem to bend out of shape either.

Brad
I threw all my Dewey rods in the bin !!! IMO the bearings in the handle simply aren't good enough and when loaded up tend to stop turning, and it doesn't require much force for that to happen.
Matt P


I have to second this.... I've personally stuffed a few barrels due to the Dewey Rod not turning..... I've always thought it was me....
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Victorian Rifle Association

pigdog
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: Cleaning Rods. Coated or not

#15 Postby pigdog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:12 am

thoughts on the borectech rods?


Return to “Equipment & Technical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests