Good 6mm Creedmoor Brass?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Fergus Bailey

Good 6mm Creedmoor Brass?

#1 Postby Fergus Bailey » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 pm

I realise that Lapua have announced they will be making 6mm Creedmoor Brass, but I don't think any has been shipped as yet. Is there any other source of good quality 6 Creed? Or is my best option to neck down 6.5?

bobeager

Re: Good 6mm Creedmoor Brass?

#2 Postby bobeager » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:47 pm

I am necking down the Lapua 6.5 right now as we "speak". One pass thru a Forster F/L die, no problem. I am then neck turning to get a .272 loaded round. What is your project? My project is for an F Class cartridge to shoot 115 grn's at somewhere between 3050 and 3100 fps. At this time still waiting on the reamer.

I am calling it a "6 x 49" to avoid the "cream-more" ricochets/sniping

willow

#3 Postby willow » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 pm

Peterson brass is doing 6mm Creedmoor brass - Melbourne Gun Works have it in stock and it's supposedly at least as good as Lapua.

Fergus Bailey

#4 Postby Fergus Bailey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:55 pm

bobeager wrote:I am necking down the Lapua 6.5 right now as we "speak". One pass thru a Forster F/L die, no problem. I am then neck turning to get a .272 loaded round. What is your project? My project is for an F Class cartridge to shoot 115 grn's at somewhere between 3050 and 3100 fps. At this time still waiting on the reamer.

I am calling it a "6 x 49" to avoid the "cream-more" ricochets/sniping

Over the last couple of years I have been shooting Precision Service Rifle matches, and more recently Precision Rifle Series matches. I built a 6XC back in 2016 (photo below) when the future of the Creedmoor was a little less certain. I figured I could always form 6XC out of 22-250 if I had no alternative. I run a Maddco 1/8" barrel with Berger 105gn bullets. It shoots extremely well.

I am in the process of building a new rifle so my son can shoot open class with me, but of course he doesn't want to shoot the same case as me. Given that the Creemorr has only gone way up in popularity the last few years, its is a good option, and if I was starting from scratch I woul probably just go with the 6 Creed myself.

Having said all that, I am very tempted to try a 6BRX when the 6XC has run its course.

Fergus Bailey

#5 Postby Fergus Bailey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:56 pm

willow wrote:Peterson brass is doing 6mm Creedmoor brass - Melbourne Gun Works have it in stock and it's supposedly at least as good as Lapua.

Thanks. Will give them a try.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”