7mm SAUM Rechamber/Barrel Life

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

GSells

Re: 7mm SAUM Rechamber/Barrel Life

#76 Postby GSells » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Azza , so rude of me ! Congrats also on Nat Champ!

Anyway I bought this barrel a Maddco 3 grove 7 mm that was chambered in .284 2 nd hand with lots of rounds through it maybe 3000. It’s just a fire forming / Training barrel . I wish I took photos of it before I cleaned it but just couldn’t be bothered at the time this arvo . But it had severe hard carbon and copper
( especially half way up the barrel with blue green streaking up the lands ). And carbon just forward of the chamber .

So after using eliminator, Autosol , MR Buff , kg paste , supacheap degreaser ( kero based ) and and the kitchen sink with lots of armstong work , I ended up with below . Top photo is closer to the breech and bottom is half way up the barrel where all the copper was .

4A20B859-455C-4617-9621-6D06A523E885.jpeg

E50642EB-AE72-4C4D-807B-116464CE8F75.jpeg

6B0419C5-E4B1-4D12-8764-BBF08986C193.jpeg

I reckon with a re chamber it will shoot !! Good enough for forming 280 ackley case and club shoots ( don’t forget the o rings lol!) ! ????? What is the consensus? Does it look clean from the photos available ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KHGS

#77 Postby KHGS » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:26 am

No problems and appreciate the feed back. Spoke to 4 people about their cleaning benchmark I.e. what picture do you see/discribe when the barrel is clean. All gave a similar answer. Then I asked them same question but, when your about to start a OPM or Queens, what’s clean/barrel ready look like. That’s when I got quite different views. What’s your different benchmarks? ](*,)[/quote]

Contrary to many people beliefs, I keep my barrels CLEAN (read bare metal), I use moly & I clean at the end of each day's shooting, hence my comment "never let the sun set on a dirty barrel". My first sighter will hit the 6 when I "get it right".
I use moly for two reasons, 1) easy cleaning. 2) more shots can be fired between cleanings without deterioration of accuracy. I use bronze brushes & monitor copper every time I clean. Heavy copper deposits mean heavy carbon deposits under the copper (thats why the copper is there). Rust deposits (read pitting) occur under carbon deposits that have built up in the bore over time.
I regularly get 1500 + rounds from my 280HI barrels before a one to two inch "haircut" & rechamber. I am not a fan of short fat cartridges, with this I am not saying they don't work, just that the cost is higher (I am Scottish)!!!
Keith H.
Geriatric Gunsmith.

AlanF

#78 Postby AlanF » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:03 am

KHGS wrote:...I use moly for two reasons, 1) easy cleaning. 2) more shots can be fired between cleanings without deterioration of accuracy. ...

I'll add to that Keith : 3) Bullet seating smoother and more consistent.

Azzopardi

#79 Postby Azzopardi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:45 pm

KHGS wrote:No problems and appreciate the feed back. Spoke to 4 people about their cleaning benchmark I.e. what picture do you see/discribe when the barrel is clean. All gave a similar answer. Then I asked them same question but, when your about to start a OPM or Queens, what’s clean/barrel ready look like. That’s when I got quite different views. What’s your different benchmarks? ](*,)

Contrary to many people beliefs, I keep my barrels CLEAN (read bare metal), I use moly & I clean at the end of each day's shooting, hence my comment "never let the sun set on a dirty barrel". My first sighter will hit the 6 when I "get it right".
I use moly for two reasons, 1) easy cleaning. 2) more shots can be fired between cleanings without deterioration of accuracy. I use bronze brushes & monitor copper every time I clean. Heavy copper deposits mean heavy carbon deposits under the copper (thats why the copper is there). Rust deposits (read pitting) occur under carbon deposits that have built up in the bore over time.
I regularly get 1500 + rounds from my 280HI barrels before a one to two inch "haircut" & rechamber. I am not a fan of short fat cartridges, with this I am not saying they don't work, just that the cost is higher (I am Scottish)!!!
Keith H.
Geriatric Gunsmith.[/quote]

Cheers Keith. Spoke to Phil. M and others and I’m changing my barrel management method. I might use moly in the future but, running a business ect, I’m as busy as a cat trying to cover crap on a mable floor and inserting another tasked is not possible. I’d rather insert a new barrel sooner. I know it comes at a cost but, it works for me at the moment.

Happy shooting,
azzo

Again, thank you for the advise and I’ve differently taken it onboard.
Regards,
Azzo

KHGS

#80 Postby KHGS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:46 am

Azzopardi wrote:
KHGS wrote:No problems and appreciate the feed back. Spoke to 4 people about their cleaning benchmark I.e. what picture do you see/discribe when the barrel is clean. All gave a similar answer. Then I asked them same question but, when your about to start a OPM or Queens, what’s clean/barrel ready look like. That’s when I got quite different views. What’s your different benchmarks? ](*,)

Keith H.
Geriatric Gunsmith.

Cheers Keith. Spoke to Phil. M and others and I’m changing my barrel management method. I might use moly in the future but, running a business ect, I’m as busy as a cat trying to cover crap on a mable floor and inserting another tasked is not possible. I’d rather insert a new barrel sooner. I know it comes at a cost but, it works for me at the moment.

Happy shooting,
azzo

Again, thank you for the advise and I’ve differently taken it onboard.[/quote]

Just a thought Azzo, the time saved in cleaning will allow time to molycoat! The "wet coating" method is much quicker than the dry method!!
Keith H.
Geriatric Gunsmith.

DenisA

#81 Postby DenisA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:18 am

What ever happened with the guys that were experimenting with U/S cleaning hard carbon out of barrels. I think boys up Mackay way had a long U/S cleaner going????

KHGS

#82 Postby KHGS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:54 am

DenisA wrote:What ever happened with the guys that were experimenting with U/S cleaning hard carbon out of barrels. I think boys up Mackay way had a long U/S cleaner going????

Not needed if you "manage" your barrel cleaning correctly.
Keith H.

Old Trev-39

#83 Postby Old Trev-39 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi Keith,
With all your years of cleaning your barrels and others that have gone through your shop, how do you recommend cleaning a barrel? Everyone has their own ideas. Your idea might save some new shooter a lot of grief down the track.
Cheers,
Trevor.

KHGS

#84 Postby KHGS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:23 am

Old Trev-39 wrote:Hi Keith,
With all your years of cleaning your barrels and others that have gone through your shop, how do you recommend cleaning a barrel? Everyone has their own ideas. Your idea might save some new shooter a lot of grief down the track.
Cheers,
Trevor.

I will be writing on this very subject on the KHGS facebook page just as soon as I can motivate myself. I have written a fair bit on the subject on this forum over the years, a search in archives may help.
Keith H.
Geriatric Gunsmith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”