Silver Mountain SOLO ET's

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Barry Davies

Silver Mountain SOLO ET's

#1 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi All,
Anybody have any feed back on these targets, good bad or otherwise?
Clubs' thinking about installing a couple. Price seems OK but how are they performance wise?
Thanks in advance.
Barry

disb

Re: Silver Mountain SOLO ET's

#2 Postby disb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Have you looked at ShotMarker from Adam MacDonald?

Toddy

#3 Postby Toddy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Does anyone know how the shot markers have been performing? They are a great price.

disb

#4 Postby disb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:25 pm

I’ve got mine
Looks very well constructed, like the magnetic bases. Program looks simple and easy to use.
Still to use it, hopefully this weekend.

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:39 pm

disb,
Where did you purchase and what price?
Thanks,
Barry

disb

#6 Postby disb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Barry

https://shotmarker.myshopify.com
$799US
Took a week - 10days to get here.

Simon

Toddy

#7 Postby Toddy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 pm

What was the total landed in Aus with the extra duties etc, if you don't mind me asking.

disb

#8 Postby disb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 pm

$1330 AUD in my hand
$40 of that card fees
I also ordered the tablet and a second set of bases.
In hindsight putting the money towards an iPad would have been better then the $99usd one Adam sells.

Barry Davies

#9 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:04 am

Simon,
Thanks for that info. Be interested in how it performs when you get around to it.
Barry

saum2

#10 Postby saum2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:20 am

Barry,
South Bendigo use SMT, were you there then to see them in use?

Barry Davies

#11 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am

Hi Geoff,
No we had gone before they installed them.

Toddy

#12 Postby Toddy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks for sharing Simon. Looking forward to hearing more about about the accuracy and reliability.

Pommy Chris

#13 Postby Pommy Chris » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:59 am

We are testing a Solo at the moment. First test showed errors but less than some of the errors shown in the test that Peter Smith and Dave had in early tests but error was still too much.
The problem seemed to be that the target frame was sufficiently braced but the face itself was doing a wobble board effect when shots were fired as the face was not framed. Next test was on a braced very solid framed target so face was perfectly square and no twists either and no wobble board. Face was braced to angle 3 degrees forward to eliminate the high difference between the butts and the shooting mound as the Solo dont appear to have this calibration in the menu. Anyway second test showed good promise and accuracy seems better but tests later in the week will tell the true story of accuracy. Usability is very good, no shots lost and scoring is easy as any other system also velocity data is displayed. One isse found was someone shooting 2 targets down triggers the mics sometimes so we need to look at a solution for this. Will contact SM tatgets and ask, but we are thinking to add two "wings" one to each side of frame to shield the mics from next door, again will update when this test is done.
Cheers
CHris

Daniel Chisholm

#14 Postby Daniel Chisholm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:43 am

Hi Barry, I don't know if you want info/commentary from me (part owner of SMT), or if you'd prefer I stay out and leave it strictly to the owners/users...? Just say the word and I'll step back and stay mum.

SOLO is a low-cost "consumer" oriented design however you should expect to get topnotch performance from it - accuracy as well as reliability. Test it out, and don't settle for anything less (and if it is not up to your expectations, contact SMT and we'll make sure you get it working right)

Pommy Chris, glad to hear you are testing things. There is no provision in the software to tell it that you have braced your target in a fixed 3 degree nose-down attitude, it isn't necessary to do so. As an 8-mic system, SOLO measures the incoming shot angles (side and plunge) and automatically makes the appropriate corrections. As a side effect of this, you should find that the reported at-target speeds are going to look quite true and consistent. Also, for every new string you begin SOLO attempts to "auto-learn" the angle from which you are firing your shots; if the first three shots of the string are within a certain band, it then selects that as the "expected angles" of incoming shots and will reject incoming shots coming from grossly different angles (e.g. extreme crossfires) and not even bother the shooter with something which is clearly a shot they did not fire.

If you have any questions or thoughts please contact Aubrey or me, we want you to achieve top-notch performance from your gear (and it is pretty straightforward and simple to do so).

In particular, you mention that somebody shooting a couple of lanes down "triggers the mics sometimes". If by this you mean that a falsely reported shot showed up to the ordinary shooters on your SOLO this absolutely should not be happening and if you contact me I can help you figure out what is going on here and make it stop happening. It should not be necessary for a user to attempt to "shield" the mics from the sounds from neighbouring shots, and in fact is a lot more difficult and impractical to do than you might expect at first. FWIW a great deal of effort has been put into the design of theSOLO sensors in order to minimize their detection range of off-target shots. This allows us to deliver superior performance, especially in the area of "lost" shots on larger ranges with many lanes in use. By the time you have ten targets firing simultaneously our gear outperforms the cheaper system by a factor of 4X, and if you should be so lucky as to be operating your SOLOs on a range with 15 lanes of firing happening then our performance advantage grows to a factor of 6X.

Barry Davies

#15 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:01 am

HI Daniel,
Appreciate the comments but don't understand your final comment " By the time you have 10 targets firing simultaneously our gear outperforms the cheaper system ( I take that as " Shotmarker " ?? ) etc etc." Would you care to elaborate ?

Barry

Return to “Equipment & Technical”