Trigger clean

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Trigger clean

#1 Postby scott/r » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:06 pm

What do you guys clean your triggers with? I've had this Barnard for a while and have never done it.
Scott

Brad Y

Re: Trigger clean

#2 Postby Brad Y » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Compressed air usually. Buy the cans from officeworks. Handy to have in the shooting kit as well, just in case you ever get dust or sand or powder in an action from a stuck projie during an unload command.

lonerider43

#3 Postby lonerider43 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

2 stroke.drys out and leaves everything coated in oil.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

KHGS

#4 Postby KHGS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:45 pm

WD40 & compressed air, then saturate with CLP Break-Free drain off on paper towelling.
Keith H.

scott/r

#5 Postby scott/r » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:05 pm

KHGS wrote:WD40 & compressed air, then saturate with CLP Break-Free drain off on paper towelling.
Keith H.

Forgive my ignorance, Keith, what is CLP Break-Free?

Frank Green

#6 Postby Frank Green » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 pm

CLP is a oil/cleaner. CLP stands for cleans lubricates and protects. It's a good oil and use it in my guns.

Here is a link.....

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning- ... 00-003-847

Also using lighter fluid is a very popular method. Flush the trigger assy. out with lighter fluid. When it dries it leaves a dry lubricating type film. Simple and easy.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

KHGS

#7 Postby KHGS » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:32 am

Frank Green wrote:CLP is a oil/cleaner. CLP stands for cleans lubricates and protects. It's a good oil and use it in my guns.

Here is a link.....

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning- ... 00-003-847

Also using lighter fluid is a very popular method. Flush the trigger assy. out with lighter fluid. When it dries it leaves a dry lubricating type film. Simple and easy.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Triflow will pretty much do the same as Break-Free. Most of the better gun-shops stock either or both. These oils do NOT gum, whereas many other so-called "gun-oils" will gum up a trigger to the point of failure. Greases are not good in our often dusty conditions.
Keith H.

6.5x55ai

#8 Postby 6.5x55ai » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:25 pm

My Jewell trigger started to not cock so I flushed it with lighter fluid as Jewell recommends. Shook dry, reassembled to action, still failed to hold cock. BLASTED it with WD40, blew out with dry air and all good. To give lighter fluid its due though it probably is effective but in my case obviously something had got inside and just sloshing lighter fluid around didn't move it.

My Barnard triggers I have never cleaned. Probably not a good approach as a failure is certain to occur at the most inopportune time. Part of the reason I don't touch them is that one of them started playing up - ie releasing at noticeably different weights just like a worn Omark trigger. Cleaned the hell out of it. Reset sear engagement. All without improvement. Back to Barnard I went (have that advantage over you guys, they are 45 mins away) and 3 trigger swaps later we had one that had consistant let off. I have adopted a let sleeping dogs lie. Maybe Bix n Andy is the solution. :-)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”