Stocks for Musgrave Actions

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

argh

Stocks for Musgrave Actions

#1 Postby argh » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi All

After some advice on stock inletting for an older Musgrave target rifle. In particular, how different are they to standard M98 Mauser inletting?

Thanks
Adrian

Gyro

Re: Stocks for Musgrave Actions

#2 Postby Gyro » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

The Musgrave my mates got is a big solid action with a solid bottom ( no mag cutout ) and the recoil lug is cast into the base. It's got a bloody big totally flat bottom, except for the recoil lug up front which is proud of the base. If I remember rightly the base on my mates one could do with milling to get it perfectly flat as it was a bit 'lumpy'.

BillB

#3 Postby BillB » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Get in touch with Roger Teal in Portland he has done heaps i have 2
Think his roger68

argh

#4 Postby argh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:41 am

Thanks Guys. I will try and compare the bottom of the action with my FN Mauser and see how different they are.

HamonetMM

#5 Postby HamonetMM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 pm

If you are interested I have an older type TR Musgrave stock that is surplus to my needs.

BillB

#6 Postby BillB » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Me too

argh

#7 Postby argh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for the offer of the target stocks guys, this is for our club rifle which is set up with a scope as an F Class rifle for visitors/newbies. The target stock is not conducive to newbies as they spend so much time after each shot trying to get it back onto target, so really looking for an FClass stock with 3" front and parallel but stock for riding the rear bag.

I can now also confirm that the bottom of the Musgrave is almost an exact copy of the 98 Mauser. Compared my FN made M98 and the musgrave on the weekend, and the screw locations, recoil lug dimensions/locations, shape of bottom of the action, even the slope on the rear tang and the size/length of the action screws are identical. The musgrave is perhaps 0.5mm wider at the bottom of the action but thats fairly minor variance really.

Cheers
Adrian

Return to “Equipment & Technical”