sun protection

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

sun protection

#1 Postby BATattack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 am

Unfortunatly our sport involves being exposed to the elements. . . Often during the hottest part of the day when it would make more sense to be sitting at the bar washing down the dust with an ice cold beverage mmmmm. . . . Sorry I got distracted there for a second!

I personally hate sunscreen and im sure im not alone in this. Greasy sunscreen mixed with sweat and dirt doesnt make for a fun day if I can avoid it! BUT in reality me and everyone else should be taking sun protection seriously.

I usually wear a hat ($2 thailand special the boys get a good laugh out of :lol: ) and either a long sleeve shirt or sunscreen on my arms.

has anyone found a really good sunscreen that isnt oily that maby even people like me will be more inclined to use?

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 am

I use a product call Invisible Zinc on my face & the backs of my hands (when I'm not wearing fishing mitts). It doesn't require a very thick coating & it lasts a full day for me. Be warned, though, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket & needs some effort to wash off. I use it on my lips too, along with a 30SPF lip balm. I use long sleeved fishing shirts too. Coles usually has it at the best price. It's the version in a tube, not the pump or cosmetic version.

http://invisiblezinc.com.au/products/fa ... 0-uva-uvb/

I have red haired blue eyed Irish ancestors & until I was directed to this product, I could guarantee that I would be red faced by the middle of the day.

Of course. it's 60 years late for me. I've had 4 BCCs cut out recently by my GP & my plastic surgeon skinned off the back of my left hand 10 days ago & patched it with skin off my upper arm.

BATattack

#3 Postby BATattack » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Unfortunatly sticky and greasy is something id like to keep clear of

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:23 pm

I think there are spray on sunscreens and gel type sunscreens available- they might help you.

I wear UPF 50+ long sleeve microfibre fishing shirts, a wide brim hat, zinc over the nose and lips, long UV50+ fishing pants (columbia). The only bare part of my body is the back of my hands.

At last years WARA queens I wore a long UPF 50+ sleeve shirt all weekend and it saved having to worry about sunscreen all weekend. Only my face got burnt as I didnt take a wide brim hat or zinc. This year I am prepared but not expecting it to get that hot.

The other option and is good for your neck and ears is a buff. You can actually pull them right up over your face like a mask if its a really hot windy day and stops windburn too. But all the people seeing someone in a mask with a gun might get nervous. Wet it and wear it over you neck covering your ears and it will be quite good.

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:49 pm

I said it sticks, not that it's sticky. Different.

bsouthernau

#6 Postby bsouthernau » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Brad Y wrote: ...... and stops windburn too.

Windburn is sunburn you get on a windy day so that you don't notice you're getting sunburnt.

Barry

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 pm

Whatever it is, the buffs stop it! Fish quite a bit in the tropics and dont put a dab of sunscreen on my face, ears or neck. Also stops sandflies from pissing on your face as well.

Barry Davies

#8 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:56 am

"Dove " make an excellent sunscreen/moisturiser in a couple of tints " Honey " and" Beige " Pretty much invisible and definitely not sticky.

jcinsa

#9 Postby jcinsa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 am

I can recommend Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunscreen Spray.

It's very light, SPF 30+ and you can spray it on.

I have been looking for something that's not sticky and doesn't have to be applied with your fingers so they can remain clear of residue.

Works for me.

John
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”