Victorian Queens Series - 2018

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Victorian Queens Series - 2018

#16 Postby AlanF » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 am

scott/r wrote:Yeh, but, Alan, out of the 27 that didn't go in 2017, how many were because of the targets and how many were because of work/other commitments?
I personally prefer paper at comps, especially queens, but it's a big call blaming just the targets for a decline in numbers without actually asking those that didn't go.
Scott.

There were problems with the ETs in 2016. That is a likely reason for the decline in numbers the following year. Are you saying there was an increase in work/other commitments in 2016?

Matt P

#17 Postby Matt P » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 am

scott/r wrote:Yeh, but, Alan, out of the 27 that didn't go in 2017, how many were because of the targets and how many were because of work/other commitments?
I personally prefer paper at comps, especially queens, but it's a big call blaming just the targets for a decline in numbers without actually asking those that didn't go.
Scott.

Scott
I know of at least a dozen FO shooters that didn't go due to the ET's.
I've missed 3 ACT Queens since 1999, last year being one of them. I sorry to say that while Kongsberg are in use I doubt I'll go back.
I have no issue with ET's in general but some of the systems in use, IMO aren't up to State and National events (and some not even for local OPM's !!!).
Matt P

saum2

#18 Postby saum2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 am

Well the CRO confirmed there weren't any ET issues during Canberra Lead-up or Queens 2017, it's on this forum.
I'll stand corrected about the number of attendees, but, Canberra 2016 was an Australian Development squad trial for Canada so a lot more F-Open and FTR shooters attended.
Further to this, the lead-up winner and Queens winner in F-Open chose not to attend in 2017 why, ask them, they surely didn't have ET issues. Other reasons are at play so don't muddy the water.

The 2017 F-Open Queens winner was very outspoken against the Canberra ET's and threatened not to attend, perhaps not now.

We had better get used to the idea as more and more organisers are installing and using ET's for Queens series. NTRA is using ET's this year for both Alice Springs and Darwin.
The VRA needs to actively maintain the ET's and use them to promote confidence in them.
If all Associations used ET's and they are starting to, F class shooters will be staying home it would seem, I doubt it.
Geoff
Last edited by saum2 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

saum2

#19 Postby saum2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:55 am

Or is it just the brand ET's that some don't like, we are starting to use the SMT brand at local club level, so far so good. The upgrade to 8 sensors may prove an equal to the Hexta brand.
Geoff

DenisA

#20 Postby DenisA » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 am

Rebel105 wrote: The upgrade to 8 sensors may prove an equal to the Hexta brand.
Geoff

While its an extrnal sensor system, that can surely never be a legitinate comparison given the doppler effect in wind? Maybe when we start shooting Queens in doors.

Matt P

#21 Postby Matt P » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 am

Rebel105 wrote:Well the CRO confirmed there weren't any ET issues during Canberra Lead-up or Queens 2017, it's on this forum.
I'll stand corrected about the number of attendees, but, Canberra 2016 was an Australian Development squad trial for Canada so a lot more F-Open and FTR shooters attended.
Further to this, the lead-up winner and Queens winner in F-Open chose not to attend in 2017 why, ask them, they surely didn't have ET issues. Other reasons are at play so don't muddy the water.

The 2017 F-Open Queens winner was very outspoken against the Canberra ET's and threatened not to attend, perhaps not now.

We had better get used to the idea as more and more organisers are installing and using ET's for Queens series. NTRA is using ET's this year for both Alice Springs and Darwin.
The VRA needs to actively maintain the ET's and use them to promote confidence in them.
If all Associations used ET's and they are starting to, F class shooters will be staying home it would seem, I doubt it.
Geoff

Geoff
If you're talking about the 2016 Winners not attending in 2017, I won the lead up and didn't attend in 2017 due the ET's. There were 17 Queens entries in 2017 and 32 in 2016 in FO, not all were due to the development squad or ET's, so yes there's something else at play but the ET's did have an impact.
In NSW we are going away from using ET's at the Queens and back to paper, unfortunately with a system available to us we can't continue to use them as every year there's a problem and it's starting affect our numbers.
I'm not anti ET's and I'll be at the Nationals, and possibly the QRA Queens this year, both use ET's.
Regards
Matt

scott/r

#22 Postby scott/r » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 am

Alan and Matt, fare enough. I wasn't aware that there was trouble with them previously. I was more or less reflecting on my own situation where I won the the NRAA b grade Queens in 2016 and wasn't able to get to the 2017 Queens because of work. To which I had a few people asking if I didn't go because of the electronic targets being use in 2017.
Scott.

bartman007

#23 Postby bartman007 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Matt, I'm with you in regard to specific ET's impacting on my choice of where I'll shoot a Queens.

Due to the cost of competition including accommodation /etc, I won't be going to ACT unless they have F Class shoot on paper targets or deploy Hexta targets. That's my decision due to experience shooting on Kongsbergs at ACT and Bendigo and Sydney.

I will shoot NSWRA Queens (work permitting), due to their choice of F Class shooting on paper targets!

I will shoot QRA Queens due to my confidence in the Hexta system, as well as the professionalism in the running of the event. To include ET Assist's was a smart decision by QRA.
###

ned kelly

#24 Postby ned kelly » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

G'Day all,
either way, come into the VRA shop and say G'day to the Bearded fellow behind the counter!
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Cheerio Ned

GSells

#25 Postby GSells » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 pm

Huge sigh...........Et's again ! I have no issues with Hextas or going to the Nats or Qld Queens! The issue will be , as more clubs and opm's head to et's . The marking skill is going to be not as good , like up to 2 mins to Mark a target, just recently! It got better , but I was wanting some Hextas , as were other shooters when we were over there ! Just for the record , there was some brilliant markers too!

But a remote dog zapper would have been handy lol!

sungazer

#26 Postby sungazer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:28 am

Vic Queens will be Paper as Albert said so everyone can come along to that one. Would be good to see you again Graeme another practice at Bendigo Wellsford Range perhaps conquer it.

KHGS

#27 Postby KHGS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 am

Well as always I am not on side with the "apparent" majority. Give me properly set up & maintained electronic targets anytime!!! Throughout 50 years of competition at all levels, PM's & Queens prizes ect., I have had more meetings spoilt for me by bad manual marking than I care to remember!! The only time I have had an issue with ET's was with a badly set up system run by officials who were clueless in what to do when issues showed up!!
Keith H.

RDavies

#28 Postby RDavies » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 am

I think I won F Open at Canberra in 2016 and while I did not get any disastrous targets, I did have to rotate through one or two which others had found their grouping just wasn't as it should be. I was lucky that I was only on a known not great target for one or two ranges at an easy distance, so I don't think it actually caused me to lose any points but that as well as losing skills such as reading flags and mirage while targets are down, or using my spotting scope to scan other targets are my reasons for switching from Canberra Queens after the last 10 years to Victoria and South Australia from now on.

I feel we use different skills to shoot on ETs or manuals and I would prefer to develop the skills I use on manuals for now. I have a hard time getting time off to shoot, so I have to ration my annual leave to shoots which I am really keen to get to.

ETs Vs manuals is like Ford Vs Holden, some will always prefer one or the other. See some of you in Victoria.

DenisA

#29 Postby DenisA » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:42 am

Give me a Toyota any day............... :P

KHGS

#30 Postby KHGS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm

DenisA wrote:Give me a Toyota any day............... :P

I am a Subaru kind of guy!!! I like ET's & I ignore bullet drift!!! I will see you in Brisbane & Canberra & also Sydney because it is close!!!!
Keith H. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Return to “Events”