Vic Queens --FStd B Grade Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#31 Postby AlanF » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:16 pm

I believe the key to expanding F-Open is to develop pockets of shooters who shoot on the same range most weekends.

After several years shooting mostly against myself at Rosedale, there are now 3 F-Open, with another joining us soon. And that's not counting Paul and Vicki from Lang Lang who turn up from time to time. There is another small group in Bendigo who have the potential to grow, and a relatively large group centred in Portland who shoot mostly SSAA but have been coming to a few OPMs lately. If these 3 pockets of shooters can grow further, it will mean that a good number OPMs in these areas can be supported by a core group who don't have too far to travel. This will take the pressure off the more distant shooters, and if they only travel a few times a year, the numbers will still be okay.

I'd like to see one of these groups start up in the north-east, but it will need at least one local who is enthusiastic about making it happen. Anyone interested? :)

Alan

ned kelly

#32 Postby ned kelly » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:27 pm

g'Day Barry,
no sweat, just like to ensure there is no misunderstanding!
cheerio Ned

#33 Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:03 am

Alan,
There are a couple more FO rifles being built in this area at the moment.
One of these rifles which I had a hand in setting up ( not for the Davies ) at last count was up to $4600. You may well say " so what " thats what a good rifle costs even for FB. I agree, but the point I make is that people who want to shoot FS simply fit a scope onto their existing FB rifle and away they go. And one does not need a $1500+ scope either.
It's all been said before.
With the new rules for FS ( assuming they are ratified by the NRAA ) the equipment spec is now very close to FO ( except calibre ) and makes FS even more attractive.
One of the problems we have in this country ( as I see it ) is that we seem to base our needs on what other countries are doing without giving thought to our " special " situation. This mentality of " because the Americans and Canadians do it this way " then so should we, is BS. That style of thinking will not butter our bread. If certain persons have international competition aspirations, then fine, let them ( minority ) do it that way. It was said recently that if we don't do as they do we will be at a disadvantage. Who will be at a disadvantage? A few people who are well healed enough to shoot internationally, thats who. Certainly not your average shooter who in most cases will never get off his/ her home range.
You may well ask what is the point of this. The point is you cannot force something onto people that they do not and will not accept. Find out what the shooters want and then go with it. If it means changing some rules to suit local conditions, then do it, otherwise you create an elite group of people who have no one to shoot against but themselves. At least you would win all the time, but it would get boring.
Barry

Return to “Events”