Cessnock OPM Sunday 22 May

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Cessnock OPM Sunday 22 May

#1 Postby RDavies » Fri May 20, 2016 8:25 pm

I would say news from the NQ Queens is a little quiet as the media scrum is concentrating on the famous Cessnock OPM this Sunday.

The programme for Cessnock OPM is 3 lots of 2+10 at 600yds.

Just a heads up, as the Cessnock mounds are now astro-turfed, spikes on front rests or rear bag plates are not allowed.

For those who say the wind never blows at Cessnock, mother nature is turning on the fans this weekend, with a forecast of 2kmh winds, though I wouldn't be surprised if we see the odd 3kmh gust around lunch time so you maybe still need to blow the dust off that windage knob. (that lump on the side of your scope for Cessnock locals).
Forecast is also for fine conditions, 25 degrees. (though if it does get too hot, too sunny or signs of rain, mounds can be covered).

SUN Mostly Sunny Mostly Sunny. Mild. 2 km/h NNE - 49% 7 25 .

John S

Re: Cessnock OPM Sunday 22 May

#2 Postby John S » Fri May 20, 2016 8:48 pm

....as Pauline Hansen would have said....please explain....what constitutes a spike??

If spikes are banned perhaps it would have been helpful to document this in their OPM flyer! A lawyer could have a field day with this.....

Cheers

John S
Last edited by John S on Fri May 20, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Fri May 20, 2016 8:52 pm

John S wrote:....as Pauline Hansen would have said....please explain....what constitutes a spike??

Cheers

John S

Something that will poke holes in Astro turf I guess?
I think they just don't want the big long spikes which we stamp into the ground which will poke too many holes through the artificial turf.
Last edited by RDavies on Fri May 20, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John S

#4 Postby John S » Fri May 20, 2016 8:56 pm

...well both my rests have a sharp object .... All be it about 1/2 to 1 cm long ... Does this constitute a spike??

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Fri May 20, 2016 9:00 pm

John S wrote:...well both my rests have a sharp object .... All be it about 1/2 to 1 cm long ... Does this constitute a spike??

John, I don't think that would be a problem, but maybe bring some washers, pieces of rubber or something similar just in case. I think what they mean by no spikes is the 2" long spikes I used to stamp into their mounds.
Last edited by RDavies on Fri May 20, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John S

#6 Postby John S » Fri May 20, 2016 9:04 pm

Thank you Rod.... Perhaps some wood chokes could be handy....Perhaps a carpet piece, being serious now.

I will also bring my lawyer just in case I need to appeal....my god why the Astro turf when the natural grass would be just fine...sorry I am finding this amusing...retirees have to have fun too!!!

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Fri May 20, 2016 9:11 pm

John S wrote:Thank you Rod.... Perhaps some wood chokes could be handy....I will also bring my lawyer just in case I need to appeal....my god why the Astro turf when the natural grass would be just fine...sorry I am finding this amusing...retirees have to have fun too!!!

Yes, some wooden blocks, or as some locals have done, put foam or rubber plugs on the end. Washers might be good. I have the standard conical SEB feet on my rest which are no problem.
I suspect the reason for the Astro turf is the retirees at our club complaining about the green ants, prickles and pebbles on the mound previously.

LoneRider

#8 Postby LoneRider » Fri May 20, 2016 9:13 pm

they dont realise how good they have it...
sooks

John S

#9 Postby John S » Fri May 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Sorry to butt in ...so the retirees .... Like the Queen where not amused.....!! Well they need to harden up....I will now take my leaves and retire to my bed!! See you on Sunday without my spikes and really looking forward to no pebbles, prickles or a case of piles and not being eaten by green ants....funny thing never noticed these before!

RDavies

#10 Postby RDavies » Fri May 20, 2016 9:32 pm

LoneRider wrote:they dont realise how good they have it...
sooks

The Cessnock members know just how good they have it. Comfortable mounds, perfect weather, great company. Life's good here.

LoneRider

#11 Postby LoneRider » Sat May 21, 2016 2:35 pm

RDavies wrote:
LoneRider wrote:they dont realise how good they have it...
sooks

The Cessnock members know just how good they have it. Comfortable mounds, perfect weather, great company. Life's good here.

you mean hot and humid in summer,freezin cold in winter.
its either sunny and hot or freezin and wet most yr round....
your lucky to have grass and green ants....
we have dead dufts and meat ants :wink:

i never got to shoot there, but near nicknock is where i come from. :wink:

scott/r

#12 Postby scott/r » Sun May 22, 2016 6:40 pm

Any results guys?

Roy cobb

#13 Postby Roy cobb » Sun May 22, 2016 6:52 pm

I did not get to shoot Had to work again but the weather was perfect for the shot where I was so hope all went well

RDavies

#14 Postby RDavies » Sun May 22, 2016 7:40 pm

scott/r wrote:Any results guys?

Full results will come but big bad Allison Rigby, all 15 years and 45kg of her won everything in F Open ahead of about 20 big wise men (only 17 shot all ranges), while her 12 year old little sister who has just started shooting came in around 6th I think.

plumbs7

#15 Postby plumbs7 » Sun May 22, 2016 7:53 pm

scott/r wrote:Any results guys?

http://www.nraa.com.au/cessnock-rifle-c ... w-results/

Sorry Guys , I was looking up other results and thought I would help!

Congratulations young A Rigby! Not easy beating a legend !I'm quite scared as I'm sure you will come to the Nats someday and teach us old blokes a lesson ! =D>
Ps Rod , I loved ur intro too! Had a little chuckle!

Return to “Events”