Sydney Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Chris Burdett

Sydney Queens

#1 Postby Chris Burdett » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:46 am

Those shooters at the Sydney Queens who have the shirts of "Hunter and New England Ladies F class team" are required to wear them on Friday the first day of the Queens.
Chris B.

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:23 pm

Or should that read "Hunter OF New England Ladies" ??? :lol:

Michael

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:35 am

The Leadup has now been run and won. Congrats =D> to Ernie Mace (Std) and Dennis Shallis (Open). Ernie bagged 3 possible 60s on the second day!

The Queens first day saw the Rail & Tram shooter Stephen Rigby leading club mate Michael Brown by 2 in Open, with Ernie Mace 2 clear from several others in Standard.

NSWRA Results Page

Field sizes could be bigger, given the number of shooters in NSW. And only 1 from interstate in either F-Class :? . Looks like NSW needs an improvement plan just as much as Victoria.

Alan

Matt P

#4 Postby Matt P » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:24 pm

Field sizes could be bigger, given the number of shooters in NSW. And only 1 from interstate in either F-Class :? . Looks like NSW needs an improvement plan just as much as Victoria.
Alan[/quote]

This is where "We (F Class)" need to support each other by attending inter state Queens where possible.

Some of the scores in TR are unbeleivable 300.51, that only 9 shots outside the V bull for 6 ranges, and C grade 800m was won with a 50.7, conditions must be good but surely the targets need to be looked at !!!!
Wish I was there, good luck to all the contenders.

Matt P :)

Ken L

#5 Postby Ken L » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:49 am

F Standard,------------Fullbore
Stephen Hart 355 ---Angus Bell 351
Gordon Vick 350--- Mark Buchanan 349
Ernie Mace 350--- Jim Jeffrey 346

Now to me it doesn't look like there is much difference between the top FB shooters and the top FS shooters given the same target and the same venue and conditions when scored the same way.
:)

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:12 am

Ken L wrote:...it doesn't look like there is much difference between the top FB shooters and the top FS shooters given the same target and the same venue and conditions when scored the same way...

Ken,

On the face of it, your statement is true. But there are factors which make this comparison relatively meaningless. There are two different things to compare - equipment accuracy and shooter skill, and when you just compare scores, there is no way of knowing how much to attribute to each. Currently most (I'll stress MOST because there are always exceptions) top shooters shoot TR rather than F-Std, mainly because that's what they started in, and probably also out of choice because of its greater numbers, opportunities, prestige etc. And I think you'll agree the score comparison would be quite different in more challenging weather conditions.

Probably the best indicator is to look at top shooters who become equally proficient at both. And I notice that Tasmanian Bob Pedersen (No 5 in the National A Grade Rankings), has started shooting F-Std at this Queens (in the leadup only). Looks like he had some teething problems, but if he continues to shoot both, it will be interesting to see how his scores compare over time. Common sense says that a scope is superior to metallic sights, and front and rear rests are superior to sling only - the question is how much that superiority of equipment translates to better scores.

Alan :)

Ken L

#7 Postby Ken L » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:00 am

Alan
Fullbore shooters who start out shooting F Class be it FS or FO and they decide to adjust their sights for the wind will while under pressure unintentionaly revert to well ingrained instinct and they will adjust the scope the wrong way. I saw this happen yesterday when a mate of Barry Davies try's out his wifes FS rifle to make sure it was up to scratch and screwed up a shot by winding the sight wrong way. :oops:

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:04 am

Ken,

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened to Bob. And unfortunately all scopes wind the same way AFAIK. :?

Lynn Otto

#9 Postby Lynn Otto » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:08 am

AlanF wrote:Common sense says that a scope is superior to metallic sights, and front and rear rests are superior to sling only - the question is how much that superiority of equipment translates to better scores.

Alan
I'm not so sure that the common sense of this idea holds up in practice, we've seen TR put together some amazing (for the conditions) results on very gnarly days when F Class have been put all over the target. Maybe it's the years of experience coming to the fore, but it does happen and some of them don't mind having a dig at us about it, LOL. :D

Lynn

#10 Postby Guest » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Ken,
You are correct about the ingrained instincts of which direction to wind a sight, and I also have been guilty of screwing in the wrong direction early in my FS days> Today I was coaching some FB shooters and I really had To think about which way to screw that aperature sight and many times I had to look at the sight bar to make sure. I also coached some FS scope shooters and had no problem, it's a matter of what one gets used to.
Barry

Ken L

#11 Postby Ken L » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:19 pm

AlanF wrote:Ken,

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened to Bob. And unfortunately all scopes wind the same way AFAIK. :?

Alan I once came accross a BSA scope made in China that wound the same way as a central sight. It would have been ideal for FS except that it was a POS and wouldn't last the distance.

Matt P

#12 Postby Matt P » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:22 pm

Schimt & Bender make a scope that winds the "wrong" way but you pay for the privlidge $$$$$$ !!!!!

Matt P :)

Cameron Mc

#13 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:29 pm

AlanF wrote:[quote="Ken Lconditions.

Common sense says that a scope is superior to metallic sights, and front and rear rests are superior to sling only - the question is how much that superiority of equipment translates to better scores.

After good coaching and lot's of practise, shooting with a sling comes very very close to using front and rear rests. As for peep sights, much more accurate than given credit for. I think the scores of the top TR shooters tell the story. I still have a soft spot for the peeps.
In the end it all comes down to technique and beating the conditions..... TR, FS, FO......that's why we keep going back?

Congratulations to the winners

Cameron

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Well the fields may have been small, but both F-Std and Open had very close finishes. In F-Std Stephen Hart pipped Gordon Vick by 1 with Ernie Mace 2 further back. And in F-Open it was a shoot-off between Mal Henderson and Stephen Rigby, with Mal prevailing. Michael Brown came 3rd. Congratulations \:D/ to the winners and placegetters, and to all who got very high scores throughout.

Sorry there weren't more of us there :? . I'm sure most of us would like to be at every Queens, but lack of time and/or money are the enemy...

Alan

Ken L

#15 Postby Ken L » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:24 am

Well done Mal and Steve
:( My sympathy goes out to Dennis Shallis and the others that were were victims of some dodgy canteen food and ended up with food poisoning.
I think that ET was also one of the victims as he didn't shoot on the last day either.

Return to “Events”