Good luck for the SARA Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Simon C

Good luck for the SARA Queens

#1 Postby Simon C » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:14 pm

Hi all,

just a quick note to say good luck to all for the SARA Queens. (esp the MBRC shooters :lol: )

Im heading off to Europe for a month and come back on the Sunday of the comp so I wont be shooting. Having shot my 1st Queens last year, I'm a little disapointed that I'm going to miss it...I had a real good time and enjoyed the competition.

I hope that we see a few more interstaters this year (especially u Victorian Mexicans :lol: )....good to keep the traditional rivalries alive! I'm committed to attending the VRA Queens next year and a few more OPM's so I hope to catch up with you all round the traps. Until then, happy shooting.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Yes good luck to all competitors!

We'll be watching it with interest on the SARA results page, but any personal experiences from the Queens will be much appreciated on this forum.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:36 pm

Evening all

The Open guys were using the following calibres, hope I have it correct or I'll hear about it tomorrow.

Darren Chapman 6.5 x 284
Stuart Braund 6 x 47 and 6.5 x 284 at 500 mtr (edit:opps got this one wrong, was 7mm x 284 at 500)
David Cleal 6.5 x 284
Bruce Moulds 6.5 x 284
Michael Otto 243 AI
Richard Braund 6 x 47
Trevor Otto 6 BR

At 300 the conditions were calm to light and breezy from the left depending on when you shot. This was the light wafty stuff I dislike lots. :(

At 400 they turned to come fromt he right and were stronger and a little choppy.

At 500 they were a slightly from the right delightful frontal fishtail with variations in the strength, rather tricky.

Oh, and there was some mirage, better not forget that, but it was mild compared to normal here but don't tell the others that they might not agree. There were times when the mirage was boiling but there was wind and times when the mirage ran opposite to the wind, it was fun. :D

Lynn
Last edited by Lynn Otto on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks Lynn. Well done today, and keep that commentary coming! :D

Lynn Otto

#5 Postby Lynn Otto » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Evening

All I can say is take a look at the Open scores and cringe, it was diabolical.

600 was tricky but achievable, at 700 it was getting very gnarly and the Open guys commented that a 90 could win the range and thats exactly what happened, by 800 a 90 wasn't even in the sight picture.

It was a frontal fishtale with flags contradicting each other and they lied anyway, or at least weren't saying the same thing as the mirage and at 800 the mirage was running fast and switching direction between consecutive shots, you really had to be on the ball and then you needed to be able to decide how fast the mirage was streaming. No-one in Std got away without a 4 in the string and for Open 10's were very thin on the ground.

Of course tomorrow is another day and the scores start from scratch, should be great fun, especially since the weather man tells us we will have some rain in there somewhere. :D

Lynn
PS I'm sure we do this for the enjoyment, don't we? :shock: :wink: :lol:

Tony Q

#6 Postby Tony Q » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:42 pm

Very well done Lynn ... you deserve it all this year.

Tony.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Lynn Otto

#7 Postby Lynn Otto » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:56 pm

Hi Tony

We've missed you, it's good to hear from you again. And thankyou. Thought I'd let Jim F have the 500m today and then he let the team down and let someone else win it. :D Would be good to see you at Lower Light at some stage over the weekend, if you have time. Take care.

Lynn

Lynn Otto

#8 Postby Lynn Otto » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Well it was an interesting day again today, I just wish the wind would make up it's mind which way it wants to blow from, rotten thing must be female. :lol: :lol:

Different conditions at every range yet again, but overall I don't think it was as difficult. But that didn't stop me being counted out of a position at the last range, amazing what 1 point can do. That's 9 ranges now with something different being served up every time. Only 5 more to go.

We had a few hiccups with equipment in both Std and Open today, with all competitors being most sporting about getting the people back on the mound, it was good to see. My congratulations to all invovled for good sportsmanship.

Lynn

Lynn Otto

#9 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:14 pm

Well folks it's all done and dusted and the competition in Open was so tight that the Queens was decided on the last shot of the day. My 16yo son, Michael, who shot 1st at the last range was devastated by an 85 result but this was followed by similar or worse scores by all others. He then nervously watched the last shooter of the day, David Cleal, the only person who could beat him for the no 1 badge and it was literally not decided until David's last shot which unfortunately for him was an 8, which let me tell you was not uncommon on that range along with many a 7.

Yesterday at the last range and with the last two F Class shooters and incidentally the two leaders in both classes on the mound, a very nasty squawl came through, decimating their scores and in Darren's case his lead. At the same time the Queens A grade leader was also on the mound and totally put him out of contention. It was an unfortunate turn of nature but as they say, it's the luck of the draw. Today was also very difficult with many a 3 and even 2's on the fullbore targets.

It's been fun, I think, but now it's back to some serious study for me in preparation for exams.

Lynn

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:33 pm

Great shooting Lynn =D> - was it a .223 all the way? And congrats to your Michael as well!

Sounds like it was a very challenging Queens for everyone.

BTW any chance of some equipment specs from the Open field?

Alan :)

Lynn Otto

#11 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:47 pm

Thankyou Alan, and yes I used the 556 for the entire event. I am especially proud of Michael considering his age, he kept his cool through some very hairy conditions and tight competition.

The rifles used in Open didn't change other than Stuart continued with the 7mm after the 1st day and Trevor use his 243AI instead of the 6BR for the last day due to some equipment problems. The other casualty of equipment problems was Noel who had a scope give him trouble but thanks to Paul (SARA shop) being well stocked he was able to replace it and keep going, he did ok after that but was behind and I think had lost some enthusiasm. Drop me a message with what equipment details you would like and I will see what I can get for you.

Lynn

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:57 pm

Lynn,

For some reason I had forgotten your earlier post with the specs. No that'll be fine thanks.

Noel will be coming a back to captain our DRA F-Class team at Bendigo this weekend. After your performance, and his scope trouble, he might opt to use our club Omark .223 with factory ammo!

Alan

RAVEN

#13 Postby RAVEN » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Congrats to all the winners well done Lynn and Mick great job under trying conditions.
I won't go into my efforts but you just can’t have any bad ones and the most important thing is I have survived the house of pain.
Maybe some of U Vics if brave enough may journey over one year but be warned U may give it away after :lol: :lol:
Had a great time will be back.
P.S. Al don’t bother with the 6.5 U just get tooo much elevation @ 800m :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
RB
p.s. #2 where were the mexicans :P we were using the FB Target in FS :? :o :lol:

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:47 pm

RAVEN wrote:...Al don’t bother with the 6.5 U just get tooo much elevation @ 800m...

One of these days "u ppl" who shoot 6s and 7s are going to realise there's something pretty special lurking in between (and I don't mean 257 or 270!) :D :D :D.

Alan

RAVEN

#15 Postby RAVEN » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:35 pm

Nice come back Al :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Events”