Goulburn OPM interesting numbers and the Future??

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

MCLE

Goulburn OPM interesting numbers and the Future??

#1 Postby MCLE » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:36 am

The Goulburn OPM looked like it was a huge success well done to them. I would of loved to have come but a family holiday got it the way.

I have been looking at the numbers and what a fantastic turnout it was.And shooters from all around as well so a lot of ereas and clubs.
Now just talking to my Gunsmith and he was saying he is doing a lot of FTR barrels ATM and it has been steadily climbing.
The Brakdown of the Numbers at Goulbourn OPM FS 25 FO 25 FTR 15
It looks like FTR is starting to get a healthy following and in a relatively short period of time. Talking to guys that are comming to the Vic Queens and if they all come then there will be a good field shooting FTR as well.I wasent shooting Fclass when FO started out but just wondering about the timeframe it took to get to where it is. I have been told it took some time to get off the ground.
But looking at the steady numbers of FTR turning up to comps if it keeps going this way it may well start to get to the leaves of FO and in a very short time frame.
I had a conversation with a long time TR shooter and he bought up a interesting point don't know if I fully agree but I think that in some ways he might be right.
He's take on it is FTR unlike when FO started isn't necacery bringing more shooters to the sport instead it is steeling them from FS as FTR growers FS declines .Now I do know of new shooters to the sport that have started and gone straight into FTR as it suited there shooting styles use what they hunt with.I see more and more TR shooters converting maybe they come from there..
So just wondering what your experiences are from your parts of the world.is FTR growing like it seems to be but is it at the expense of FS. I hope that they all grow as it would be healthy for the sport.But it may just be that the growth of one might be at the Detrement of the other .
Thanks Michael H

AlanF

Re: Goulburn OPM interesting numbers and the Future??

#2 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:12 am

Michael,

These trends differ depending on which State or region. It seems to depend on things like who does the most to help new shooters, or shooters changing disciplines, and on availability of good rifles etc. It can even depend on a few influential individuals who may promote, or unfortunately harm a discipline.

I agree that in general, F-Open recruits tend to come from outside the NRAA classes, and F/TR is certainly getting a good part of its numbers from other classes, including Match Rifle, F-Open, TR and mostly from F-Std. But then F-Std, in Victoria and NSW at least, would have lured most of its numbers from TR, so you could say "what goes around comes around".

We do need to increase our membership from outside the NRAA ranks - that's a given. We need to step up efforts and there are many ways of doing it - the key requirement is effort.

Alan

Norm

#3 Postby Norm » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 am

Michael,

F/TR number are sure to grow and I think it will end up with larger numbers than F-Open and ultimately F-Standard too. It may even replace F-Standard in the future?
I think entry level shooters will be drawn to F/TR. A lot of the factory sporting .308 rifles can be used for F/TR. Just add a suitable scope and a bipod.

ShaneG

#4 Postby ShaneG » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:44 pm

The momentum for F/TR is growing and great to see.
It is the world wide discipline not limited to Australia as is F Std.
I think the lead up to 2013 World Cup at Raton and subsequent interest on the coat tails of the F Open Team Gold win has all helped to further both F Open and F/TR.
NRAA recognition and inclusion in the National Queens in 2013 for the first time followed by all states adding the class to their Queens.
Our local club, Cairns Rifle Club has supported F/TR for several years now and is not uncommon at OPM.
Certainly a great improvement to where we were only a few short years ago.
It was quite frustrating having to compete with a legal F/TR rifle in Australia then as F Open with 8.25 kg bipod 308 rifle!
The next few years will be very interesting as the numbers and level of competition grow!
Shane

Josh Cox

#5 Postby Josh Cox » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Return to “Events”