Darling Downs Champion of Champions

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

plumbs7

Darling Downs Champion of Champions

#1 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi all , below is what I wrote for my local Chinchilla paper.
Unfortunately it was canned due to space shortage or maybe my writing skills ( lack of).

The Downs Champion of Champions was held at Warwick Risdon rifle range last Sunday the 22nd . The champions of each Darling Downs club from Pittsworth, Gundy to Dalby (chinchilla and western downs ) to Gatton and Crowsnest competed against each other in the Classes ( target riffle , f class open ( any cal up to 8 mm scoped), f standard . 308 and .223 NATO scoped) , to battle it out to be the best on the Darling downs . It was 15 count and 2 sighters ( tr is out if 75.15 and f class is out of 90.15)
The winners in each class will then go to Belmont Brisbane next month to battle it out to be the best in the state!

The conditions looking from behind the Gun was treacherous! Full value left winds were gusting only to have a huge drop off that would leave u out in the cold at 9 o'clock with a magpie!
Other times u would fire getting back into the centre x ring . Then fire again with the flags exactly the same with another magpie out to the 3 O'clock !

The key was the mirage and any experienced shooter who ignored it were severely punished . Our local Plumber Graham Sells ( A grade F class Standard) walked that line first up to drop two 4's (6.1 is the highest) . Only to work it out around the ten count mark to finish with a few centre x's . But was sent home licking his wounds with a 80.4 . His lowest in 2 years and for 4 th! To be overtaken by top F Class Standard shooter from Gundy, Gary hausler with a .223 NATO .

Julie McEwan F open Dalby RC and current World Champ. Chose to bring out the big .284 sheehane in the choppy conditions . But had a great Duel, shot for shot with another top Gundy shooter Lowell Tillack toting a
6.5x .284 until Julie succumbed to a drop off and a nasty pickup to lose it to Lowell!

Finishing the great weekend that Gundy had , Rodger North took the Champ title from Miles U 25 Australian rep shooter Brenden Parkins in .308 open sight or TR class.

More Info and pictures can been seen on Dalby/Tara Rifle Club Facebook page!

F open only 3 competed
L Tillack 88.7
J Mc Ewan 86.2
D Reddan 85.8

Standard top 5
G Haeusler 83.5
R Steele 83.3
G Eagle 82.4
G Sells 80.4
L Turner 75.1

Tr top 5 spots
R North 74.5
B Parkins 73.6
R Bondfield 73.5
G Long 71.4
C Greenfield 70.4

plumbs7

Re: Darling Downs Champion of Champions

#2 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Is it just me ? Or do we in the SE have some of the most challenging ranges this side of the Black Stump?

I see on another post somebody hit a 60.9 with a .308 done south! Great hit !
Looking at some of the Nsw scores seem way higher than Qld.

Again us Queenslanders ( the greatest state ) mustn't be able to shoot all that well hey! Lol!

There also was the premier cup which was a team event again at 600 yds I'll post some photos when back in town with good internet .

We teamed up with a few southern downs to make up the numbers ! This was the first time in a long time that Dalby had turned up to compete in the above festivities.
Now the way they scores it was in f class if u hit a 5 instead of a 6 ur team lot a point! Eg a 5 was treated like a 4 . As tr and f class were teamed together.

From memory our team was R Bondfield tr
Cam McEwan , Julie Mc , me , G Eagle and 2 other vet f class shooters that I hadn't met before . So sorry I can't remember ur names .

Anyway we came Fourth and Goondawindi continued it's Great weekend and won it !
Ok I didn't write the scores so I can't tell u much more except I sort of remember Dalby's score's!

Julie was I think 58.?? And 65.2 123.?? 7mm
Cam 56.?? And 65.3 7mm 121
Me 55.3?? And 65.3 120.6 ? Cam calling! Rem is on fire!

I loved it as husbanded and wife coached eachother on wind . " 1/4 minute right please dear " was cute! U know what they say , those that shoot together stay together!

I called for G Eagle for a 55.?? And a 58 I think? So that is the end of my coaching career ! Although I relished the challange ! He had a lot of vertical about a min and a 1/4. Was fire forming ! So I'll blame that and the wind! Lol!

Great weekend and loved the team event!

Regards Graham.
Ps no dougt Julie will have something about it on our face book page soon !

mike H

#3 Postby mike H » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Graham,
I admire your enthusiasm,however at times,the journalists at the newspaper,would rather write the story,next time be more basic,names,scores and if locals in the community ,better still.
Another thing,and I have stated this before,speak English,texting speak is not on,slow down.

I was surprised that you think NSW has better conditions,higher scores than QLD,where I come from in Southern NSW,we think that only happens in Western Australia.
Mike

ratshot

#4 Postby ratshot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:42 pm

F sake there is life outside Fagland ... you blokes love pissing in your own pockets.

Cameron Mc

#5 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:04 pm

ratshot wrote:F sake there is life outside Fagland ... you blokes love pissing in your own pockets.

Come on Paul. Give Graham a go. He's just trying to promote the sport. This was his first go at team shooting.
We have fun up here too and like to "take the piss".....occasionally

Better than some of the of the other shit we here...... :roll:

plumbs7

#6 Postby plumbs7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 am

ratshot wrote:F sake there is life outside Fagland ... you blokes love pissing in your own pockets.

Wow ! Ouch!

The reason for the above is more, for shooters in Se Qld . U don't have to read it if u don't want to!
Like Cam said , just trying to promote the sport to attrack new members hopefully for Dalby RC !

With writing it myself for the paper , the above was a brief for the pencil pusher as every time before they got it hopelessly wrong !

Look if u guys don't like it , I can certainly keep it to myself ! But my post are for the immediate area !
Sorry if somehow I offended . It's all in good fun and not meant to hurt ur prescous EGOS!

Graham.

plumbs7

#7 Postby plumbs7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:53 am

Actually Ratshot , next time do yourself a favour ! When u see Plumbs 7 just say to urself Selly a Wanker so I won't read it ! Then u can enjoy life again!

SteveL

#8 Postby SteveL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:29 am

Hi Graham, would love to see some photo's from the event.
Hope to catch up with you at the NQRA queens.
Steve

DannyS

#9 Postby DannyS » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:57 am

Haha Graham, no you don't have more challenging winds, it's just that the better shooters come from down south. Just kidding.

If people don't want to read your posts, then they don't have too. Don't take it to heart.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

plumbs7

#10 Postby plumbs7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:29 am

Hey thanks guys , it was just playful banter between States . If u notice I didn't do all tha well so it defiantly wasn't for personal gain ! I'm defiantly not a brilliant shot but someone that wears his heart on his sleeve and has to work hard at it !

I've cooled down abit now!

plumbs7

#11 Postby plumbs7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:45 am

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 pm

National Teams are still about 4 months away, but looks like the posturing is starting earlier than usual. Also unusual that its not the Crow-Eaters involved :D .

ShaneG

#13 Postby ShaneG » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 pm

C'mon Alan! Almost 6 months please?!
We need it to bring our first F/TR team to Brisbane!
If I didn't know better I would say you were stirring early!?
Shane

ScottM

#14 Postby ScottM » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi Graham

Thank you for the up date mate what Garry does with that 223 is just great to watch .See you at the next OPM .

Cheers
Scotty

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:02 pm

ShaneG wrote:C'mon Alan! Almost 6 months please?!..

Of course! The teams are prior to the QRA Queens! Innocent mistake, but at least it caused a slight panic somewhere... :D

Return to “Events”