Tassie Queens - Ammunition Limits

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Tassie Queens - Ammunition Limits

#1 Postby AlanF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:08 pm

The Spirit of Tasmania has changed their rules regarding live ammunition - the limit is now 5Kg per shooter. If you use a 308 with 155s, and load 46gn, I make that about 210 rounds, and guess what, if you use two sighters at every range of leadup and Queens, you'll need 209! However, for F/TR and F-Open, its not good, so you can either change to F-Std, or being a resourceful bunch, figure out another way of skinning the cat...

OuttaAmmo

Re: Tassie Queens - Ammunition Limits

#2 Postby OuttaAmmo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:26 pm

AlanF wrote:The Spirit of Tasmania has changed their rules regarding live ammunition - the limit is now 5Kg per shooter. If you use a 308 with 155s, and load 46gn, I make that about 210 rounds, and guess what, if you use two sighters at every range of leadup and Queens, you'll need 209! However, for F/TR and F-Open, its not good, so you can either change to F-Std, or being a resourceful bunch, figure out another way of skinning the cat...

Like use a 6.5x47, 123gn bullet, 37gr of powder, small rifle primer.....?

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:33 pm

That would definitely de-fur the feline Casey.

OuttaAmmo

#4 Postby OuttaAmmo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:52 pm

I suppose for F-Open, having a 6BR for the shorts and 7mm something for the longs might cancel each other out.

F-TR is pretty stuffed though.

Would they prefer it if you carried 4kg or powder, a few hundred primers and reloading equipment instead?

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:20 pm

OuttaAmmo wrote:Would they prefer it if you carried 4kg or powder, a few hundred primers and reloading equipment instead?

Powder and primers are not allowed, unless in the form of loaded ammo, so no loophole there. Ironically, there would be no problems with taking enough 223 ammo which Martin Bryant used in the Port Arthur Massacre :roll: .

ger

#6 Postby ger » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:34 pm

So how do/did Tasmanian shooters get their ammunition supplied under normal circumstances? Either made up (factory via NRAA) or by separate raw materials (powder, primers, projectiles,etc)?

Furthermore, I guess the obvious question is why would there be a weight limit on a boat? And since (as I recall) it's all locked away in the shipping company's container during the transit, where is the danger?

Geoff.

Josh Cox

#7 Postby Josh Cox » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 pm

More than likely has to do with the dangerous goods licence they operate under, most airlines are also 5Kg.

Why don't you send them an email and ask ?

ger

#8 Postby ger » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Hmmm....

So, you have 20 shooters with 5Kg each, or 10 shooters with 10Kg each. What's the difference?

As for writing to them, well, to be honest that didn't occur to me. Probably because I doubt that I would get much of an answer. If I were directly affected I might.

I find quite a few things occurring in regards to shooting at the moment that I have difficulty figuring out the background rationale. Maybe it's just me! :-)

G.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:57 am

It might be interesting to find out what the penalty is in the event they find some extra ammo you forgot to declare :D . The other thing is, I wonder how many people take firearms to Tassie (or WA for that matter) without having any idea of the restrictions. Its not well publicised in either case.

Alan

bsouthernau

#10 Postby bsouthernau » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:32 am

Match Rifle Nationals and the Woomera Match are in Tassie next year and 180 rounds won't be enough. My solution is for Eileen to get a licence and take her 5kg allowance too but that won't be available to all.

Barry

Fergus Bailey

#11 Postby Fergus Bailey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:47 am

5kg is just the IATA rules, pretty standard for travel providers these days.

What about taking reloading equipment, along with cases and projectiles, and arranging for powder and primers at the destination? A lot of BR shooters do that, and we are only shooting 6PPCs (granted we almost never preload).

It can be difficult to match powder lots, but if you know a local who is prepared to do some leg work for you, it may be possible to match the powder lot too.

Ollie71

#12 Postby Ollie71 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:52 pm

The story in the newspaper about the change was that a dealer tried to bring something like a ton of shotgun shells across on a trailer. He got turned away and it sparked a review of their ammo policy.
You might want to contact the TRA, I've heard they have talked to one of the local politicians and are approaching the TT line as well to try and get a resolution.

DannyS

#13 Postby DannyS » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 pm

You could always drive to Tassie the long way and bypass the ferry.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

agro

#14 Postby agro » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Take someone else with you then you could have another 5kgs

bsouthernau

#15 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:39 am

Ollie71 wrote:You might want to contact the TRA, I've heard they have talked to one of the local politicians and are approaching the TT line as well to try and get a resolution.

Yes, TRA have been in discussions with the Police and Emergency Services minister. They have another meeting next week and "... are hopeful of a quick resolution".

Barry

Return to “Events”