2015 F Class Challenge Cup.

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Craig McGowan

#1 Postby Craig McGowan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Dear fellow Oz F Class Members. As you may be aware, there has been much discussion of late regarding not only the future of the sport but also the direction of F Class in Australia. Slowly over the last few years the numbers have been increasing and the sport in general, becoming more popular. With this in mind both myself and a fellow (TR) shooter, Mijo Brdjanovic, have been quietly working behind the scenes to gain support from Associations and sponsors to run an event specifically targeting the F Class and scope shooting community.

We have decided to bring forward our intention to release information regarding the event, to gather feedback from the community and also gauge support for such an event. Please understand that no one is being paid to organise this event and it will represent a significant investment in time and money by those involved.

With this in mind we are pleased to announce the

Location. Belmont Shooting Complex
Date. 8th 9th 10th October
Ranges. TBA
Classes. F Open. FTR. F std. & Tactical

All F Class categories will be shooting under the SSR's while the Tactical Class will shoot under a set of "Promotor" specific rules for the event.

The inclusion of a tactical class is to "tap into" a growing trend of shooters turning up to ranges with such gear. While the final rules around this class are yet to be finalised, what we can tell you is that Tactical Class will have the same range restrictions as all others classes. i.e. Energy and calibre.
All other rules are TBA at this time.

We have been in discussion with major sponsors and the event will not be like any other you have competed in previously. We are seeking feedback in relation to what you would like to see in the way of distances / ranges conducted, time frame i.e. Two day or three day competition, as well as any other details you feel would be conducive to create an event that would see record numbers of competitors turn out.

I would ask if it would be possible for Alan to perhaps conduct some forum polling around this event so we can gauge the support for such an event.

Kind Regards,

Craig McGowan.

AlanF

Re: 2015 F Class Challenge Cup.

#2 Postby AlanF » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Sounds fantastic Craig. This forum is available for any discussion/polling etc.

My initial thought was that it might be seen as excluding TR, but I'm sure you are not trying to do that. What it sounds like is something very different which will liven up our shooting calendar. And the tactical class will attract a lot of interest.

Let me know when you want to run some polls.

Alan

shooter mcreid

#3 Postby shooter mcreid » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:51 am

Craig, I would definitely look forward to such an event. Really any excuse to shoot!
Possibly a teams event at the same time, no coaching as such, just addition of scores maybe.

Craig McGowan

#4 Postby Craig McGowan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:36 am

AlanF wrote:Sounds fantastic Craig. This forum is available for any discussion/polling etc.

My initial thought was that it might be seen as excluding TR, but I'm sure you are not trying to do that. What it sounds like is something very different which will liven up our shooting calendar. And the tactical class will attract a lot of interest.

Let me know when you want to run some polls.

Alan

Hi Alan, Yes this was / is a concern that we may be seen as creating a division between F Class and Target Rifle. This is not our intention. Along with some very passionate sponsors, we are trying to simply promote the sport of shooting. It has not been set in stone that this is a scope only event, however the focus will be heavily on the scope disciplines. We had looked at naming the event "The Challenge Cup" so not to single out one discipline, but this is already used in the U.K. for a rugby league competition.

shooter mcreid wrote:Craig, I would definitely look forward to such an event. Really any excuse to shoot!
Possibly a teams event at the same time, no coaching as such, just addition of scores maybe.

Hi Josh. Yes this is definitely what we have planned for the "Tacticle" competition, but we were not sure if it was something that the F Class community would want as well. This is why we have decided to put the information up here, so we can see what the F Class community want in a competition.

Please keep the questions and comments coming.

Kind Regards,

Craig McGowan.

Seddo

#5 Postby Seddo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:01 am

There are lots of people who would have a tactical class rifle, it's a great idea to find new shooters. Well done.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:31 am

Craig,

An advantage of the F-Class only idea is it creates an opportunity to try some other things that may be a bit hard to get approved at "conventional" shoots e.g. tactical. Another such thing that comes to mind is what Mark Fairbairn was promoting last year, where squadding is managed such that as far as practical, the members of each class shoot concurrently. The team currently in NZ may bring back some ideas on this - they do it there. There would be various ways of doing it, all the way up to squadding the final day to have the leaders shooting together. If pre-registration was required, then squadding could be pre-planned in some detail.

Alan

DenisA

#7 Postby DenisA » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 am

Sounds sensational Craig. I'm looking forward to it.

As Alan says, if it were scoped divisions only it might be a good opportunity to try some previously discussed ideas. One that comes to mind could be the white X ring.

The idea of 10 ring or 7 ring targets came to mind (tongue in cheek), but I got destroyed last time I mentioned that, so I wont. :oops:

Either way, what ever it is, I'll aim to be there. =D>
Last edited by DenisA on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnk

#8 Postby johnk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 am

Craig,

Have you considered the issue of muzzle brakes & discussed the issue with QRA?

Cheers, John

ShaneG

#9 Postby ShaneG » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Great idea!
With the growth in our sport no matter what people say this is the direction we will head.
Eventually we will have F Class Nationals and Teams events similar to the USA.

Couple of good ideas already - white super V?
How about a target number on a corner of the target?

No 300 yards please

Can't really see the point of a" team " event whereby individual scores are simply added together.
I would like to see this incorporate the proper Team format with coaches.
However I don't see that happening very quickly as we will have just competed in the NRAA Team F Class event.
Cheers

RonM

#10 Postby RonM » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi, Craig,
I'm in!
I haven't been around the sport long enough to have any serious input, however, I wonder if a three day (or two day) is held would it be allowable to enter two events, say F Std and F T/R or F Open and F T/R or whatever on different days? Maybe at 500, 700 and 800?
Great initiative and I look forward to competing,
Best Regards,
Ron
oops wrote this before seeing polls - polls recorded

Craig McGowan

#11 Postby Craig McGowan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:24 pm

johnk wrote:Craig,

Have you considered the issue of muzzle brakes & discussed the issue with QRA?

Cheers, John

Hi John,

Yes we have had the event approved by the board of the QRA. All competitors will be covered by the range standing orders. The topic of muzzel brakes was discussed during several meetings and from memory we have decided not to allow them. I will have to check the minutes of the meeting to confirm........Do you feel like being Chief RO? Attractive pay and great health care plan!! :lol:

AlanF wrote:Craig,

An advantage of the F-Class only idea is it creates an opportunity to try some other things that may be a bit hard to get approved at "conventional" shoots e.g. tactical. Another such thing that comes to mind is what Mark Fairbairn was promoting last year, where squadding is managed such that as far as practical, the members of each class shoot concurrently. The team currently in NZ may bring back some ideas on this - they do it there. There would be various ways of doing it, all the way up to squadding the final day to have the leaders shooting together. If pre-registration was required, then squadding could be pre-planned in some detail.

Alan

Hi Alan, Yes this is on the cards. We just have to work out how it will be done. Would be interesting to see how the Kiwis did it. If I was not going to be busy organising the event I would give the Tactical shoot a go. Also Alan would it be possible to "Sticky" the polls to the top of the Events Category?

Norm

#12 Postby Norm » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Craig, great idea.
I'm not likely to attend due to other commitments this year but if it was a regular event then I would definitely consider making the trip in the future.

One thing that would interest me would be a two man team event.

Craig McGowan

#13 Postby Craig McGowan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 pm

Norm wrote:Craig, great idea.
I'm not likely to attend due to other commitments this year but if it was a regular event then I would definitely consider making the trip in the future.

One thing that would interest me would be a two man team event.

Thanks Norm, One Idea that has been floated is that should we be able to have a successful formula this year then every year it is at a different location. Of course this would depend on facilities and the people willing to put the time into organising it.

RDavies

#14 Postby RDavies » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:00 pm

I would love to attend if I was able to.

You mentioned that muzzle brakes might not be allowed for tactical class, why is that? If you are to cater to tactical, I would have thought allowing brakes on a special event would have been beneficial.

Amac

#15 Postby Amac » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:36 am

Hi Craig

This is an excellent initiative and I hope to attend. Can we ensure it doesn't clash with any Prize Meeting locally so that competitors aren't torn as to where they should go.

One idea that our club ran as a fun shoot was to use a 600 target and shoot it at 600, 700 and 500 yards. Something else, if at all possible at Belmont, a night range or two. Illuminate the target and we should be away.

Looking forward to seeing this fleshed out further.

Cheers

Andrew

Return to “Events”