FS POSSIBLE BY 97 YEAR OLD

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

John E

FS POSSIBLE BY 97 YEAR OLD

#1 Postby John E » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:05 pm

Last Saturday at Glen Forbes Range, Billy Gray, who turned 97years of age last Australia Day, 26/1/06, returned a score of 171 ex 180, including a possible 60 in the last shoot of the day, at 400yds. He uses an Omark with a stock that he made himself, with a Tobler barrel in 5.56, and a Lynx scope, with a Ken Larkin bipod under it.
He uses two walking sticks to get up to a portable bench, where he sits for the rest of the day, and when he is not actually shooting, he watches through his scope, taking an interest in what the other shooters are doing.
He is a regular attender, shooting every week unless illness prevents it.
That says a lot about the man, and about F Class Std for allowing him to continue in the sport that he has loved for so many years.
I wonder what the rest of us will be doing at 97? :roll: :roll: :roll:
John

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:35 pm

John,

It also says a lot about the people at Glen Forbes - congrats to both Billy and everyone who encourages him to keep shooting =D> .

BTW that must be the record for the oldest shooter to get a F-Std possible surely!

Alan

John E

#3 Postby John E » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:26 pm

Another funny thing,
about 3 weeks ago, a little old bloke drove into the range, and he was the person who taught Billy to shoot when he was in the army. This old fellow told us that he turned 100yrs old a couple months earlier, and his new drivers licence expires in 2014, I believe. How's that?
John

Tony Q

#4 Postby Tony Q » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:52 pm

A great story... well done. I hope i can still be doing things i love if i ever get close to that age.

This is the very reason the intent of FS needs protecting so it cant be manipulated into something else as it becomes more and more popular.

The more people doing it the more issues will come about.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

balcom

#5 Postby balcom » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Tony Q wrote:A great story... well done. I hope i can still be doing things i love if i ever get close to that age.

This is the very reason the intent of FS needs protecting so it cant be manipulated into something else as it becomes more and more popular.

The more people doing it the more issues will come about.

So very true
PeterH

Ken L

#6 Postby Ken L » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:10 am

As I said in Canberra in 2001 when FS rule amendment was promoted"we should make this new set of rules a seperate entity and give it a new name something like G class being the next letter in the alphabet" Then some wiseguy cracked " That G for geriatric I supose".

As a point of history FS was once called E Class before F Class came into being and swallowed it up. At the time there wasn't enough numbers involved to get any rules organised and there was hostility from the FB fraternity in the 80"s :shock: ](*,) :wink:

But for everyones sake lets not set up fertile ground for disent between us old farts hanging on to a life of shooting and the young blood seeking a cheap gateway into the sport as promoted by Tony Q.
Ken L

Return to “Events”