Annual One Gun Challenge?

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Cameron Mc

#16 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:21 am

AlanF wrote:Chris,

As always, the main factors are shooter skill, and rifle/load accuracy.

Alan :)

You got it Alan. At the end of the day if you don,t point it in the right direction, it won,t matter what cartridge is used.

Cameron

pjifl

#17 Postby pjifl » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:18 pm

Maybe I overreacted a little but I still see it as a bad idea.

I mostly shoot 1 gun at comps these days but defend staunchly the right of others to do otherwise. At club level I am shooting my main gun at the moment but once all its troubles are sorted will use something else at club level.

One real difference between F and Benchrest is that we shoot a LOT of shots and burn out barrels faster. I know many who are trying to prolong that barrel a little and still maintain this is the main reason people want to change. If I support the main shoots put on in Rocky, Mackay, Townsville and CIDRA this approaches 1000 shots a year. And thats not including 5 annuals nearby. And sometimes lending the rifle.

But basically I just see any restriction which will decrease numbers as all bad.

Peter Smith.

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:47 pm

Peter,

The best way to judge it will be to see how many are interested in attending, and then more importantly how many are keen to do it again.

About 3 years ago an idea for a new novelty event was put to our local range committee - a single shot at 1000yds, no sighters, no spotters, shots just measured from the centre, then the results read out later (in reverse order). No-one thought much of the idea, but they agreed to give it a try. It turned out to be a real hit. We have it twice a year with a bottle of scotch as the trophy.

I'm asking the same in this case - there's no harm in giving it a try. It might not be a huge success, but then again it might become a highlight of the F-Open calendar. It's something that neither TR or F-Std can do, and if we're trying to attract numbers to F-Open, then every little bit helps.

Alan

Matt P

#19 Postby Matt P » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 pm

Alan
I would support this for a one shoot once a year BUT never for it to be included in the SSR's it is F Open not F Open restricted.

Matt P

AlanF

#20 Postby AlanF » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 pm

Has anyone given some thought about where to hold it? My first thought was Canberra, based on it being central, and having a variety of conditions, but the max range is only 800m (or is there a longer mound?). What is the max range at any of the Sydney ranges? Peter H suggested Brisbane, which might attract N Qld shooters. We could do something completely different and have it in Alice Springs! I understand they have a 1000m mound! Perhaps we should have it reasonably central the first year to get it off the ground, then if it becomes an annual event, we could move it around, to be fairer to the "outlying" states such as WA.

Any ideas welcome!

pjifl

#21 Postby pjifl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:47 am

I am all for some novelty events. But most of what I think of here would be only a few shots and may be slot into a few days shooting.

Another variation on the one shot idea (a bit like the egg shoot) is people put in $5 or sonme such amount for their shoot but I would allow more than one shot. Maybe 3 or 5 at an egg at 600y - no sighters.

After all have shot the person with the least number of shots for a hit (if any) wins. If no one wins the whole could be repeated.

Peter Smith.

AlanF

#22 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:32 pm

CLICK HERE for a later discussion on a One-Gun Shoot.

Return to “Events”