F standard V F open

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

F standard V F open

#1 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:39 pm

As you may have read the Vic state team arranged a shoot against an F standard team in Bendigo last weekend.
I heard nothing but satisfied comments from our F standard members and a common comment was "we should have more shoots like this", I fully agree, There are not many teams events at present and an effort should be taken to include more in our yearly competitions.

This post is more directed at shooters in Victoria but those in other states would be most welcome if prepared to travel and if we can get this idea off the ground.

What i would like to see is a (friendly/serious) competition between a team of F open shooters and F standard shooters. Team numbers could be reduced to accomodate for the lower numbers in F open, possibly 5 or 6 to a team or 10 if this can be managed.

Ranges- Possibly 6,9,1000, we'll leave out 300 because we all know what happens to targets there.

Targets- I would suggest the standard fullbore target, perhaps another match could be arranged to be shot on the open target.

Venue- Bendigo, if this can be arranged.

Anyone interested?

agro

FS vs FO

#2 Postby agro » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:21 pm

I am all for good competition, team or individual. You can pencil me in.

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:42 pm

I know your thread is directed mainly at Vic
Here in SA we have already starting the team thing but I think it will take some tweaking to get the right format that suits both FS and FO more to do with the amount of matches per year than make-up
we generally try for 3 FS & 2 FO per mixed team I am sure once we have the format right we would sure like to but together a State team and come and do you vics :) :P :)
I think it’s a great idea Adam :idea:
Is Vic doing any thing in regard to DRA teams at the moment:?:

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Hmmm... given the relative numbers of F-Std and F-Open in Vic, it would be a close contest I believe, particularly if confined to the longs where wind-reading is the main game regardless of equipment. Of course for F-Open there could only be two outcomes, hollow victory or embarrassing defeat!

If you are trying to get a performance comparison, the Vic Queens results could be used (600, 900 and 1000yd were shot). Using my SD calculator to convert F-Open scores to F-Std, I believe F-Open would come out ahead. And if TR was in the race it would come second! (convert Geoff Grenfell's score to F-Std to see what I mean).

I think the best way of doing it would be to wait till the next long range OPM where they don't have F-Open targets, and just have a few side-bets!

Alan

#5 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:50 am

Richard,
In answer to your question re DRA teams, Yes Vic have run it the last two years and it's grown so large that consideration is currently being given to possibly running it on a separate day to the FB, so as not to cut the FB programme to fit it all in.

Alan
Negative, Negative, Negative.
The State Team new what they were up against on Sunday. There was no hint of embarrasment. and who cares who won and lost, the whole show was an excellent days competition.
C'mon Alan, do your side of the sport a favour and help promote it. Promotion is what it is all about, who cares who wins and who loses.
If we shot on the C/ship target there is a good chance your side will win, if that's what's important to you. and who knows you might even get some FS converts to your target.
Why is everything got to be " performance " orientated where you people are concerned, don't you know there is a fun side to shooting also, could be why your numbers are low??
To hell with your SD calculator it's purely academic.
Sorry Alan, With attitudes like that we are stagnant.
Barry Davies

mick l

#6 Postby mick l » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:56 am

moved to events
Last edited by mick l on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#7 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:23 am

Wayne

Glad to hear a positive outlook,

Over the years a huge number of FB teams matches have gone to the wall, for whatever reason they simply dont exist anymore which is very sad. With growing numbers in F class it is time to give something back to the sport. We all know that many prize meetings do not accomodate F open, This is purely because of attendance numbers, You F open guys need to make an effort to get off your backsides and show to people you are serious about the future of your sport.

Alan,
You want to be included in shoots so here is your chance to do something.
I am offering you a chance to be part of an F class specific match, it seems you dont want to be included.
In reality F open numbers are dismal, why? There are a few reasons i can think of, none of which i will go into, but you need to offer your shooters something which is just for them.

I dont want to shoot against you guys with the thought of embarrising you,
This would be a good opportunity to promote both sides of F class.

At present F standard have pennants and DRA matches with 6 teams competing.

F open have nothing, so here is your chance. make the most of it.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:43 am

Barry Davies wrote:...Negative, Negative, Negative...

Barry,

Whew! If my post appeared that negative, then I'll have to word things more carefully!

Yes I think team shoots are good, in fact I hope to shoot in F-Std in the DRA teams in October. But I personally wouldn't travel a long way or use a good barrel (mine only do about 1200 to 1500) for a novelty event only. And if it is just for fun, why not try to include more people in it by doing what Richard suggests and having mixed teams. Otherwise you might only get 6 or 8 F-Open, and only the same number of F-Std will be needed.

And yes of course I want F-Open numbers to increase in Vic. In fact there is an initiative happening now which promises to get bigger F-Open fields at Vic OPMs. And if you have a look in the F-Open Rules forum, I am proposing a poll to try to find out why F-Open is not growing.

So don't take a lack of enthusiasm for a single idea as being negative. :roll:

Alan

#9 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:56 am

So we will count you out Alan.

Perhaps Wayne could try to arrange some F open Guys to come and play?
I know we will have no trouble getting F standard shooters so let us know how many F open will be there and we'll match the numbers in F standard.

Alan, you could come and score or mark for the day, that way you'll be involved and not waste your ammo or barrel life.

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:41 pm

Adam,

We have the 2 day shoot at Bendigo this weekend. I'm hoping there will be 9 F-Open shooters there. How would it be if we approached the organisers about having the F-Open 1000yd range shot on the FB target. I don't believe the F-Open shooters would mind, because the current 1000yd Open target is considered by most to be too easy anyway. We could then pick Std and Open (and TR!) teams before that range. Of course coaching wouldn't be possible.

Alan :)

#11 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:25 pm

Alan,

That sounds like a good idea, but its getting away from the original intent, the point of the exercise was to get F standard and F open to shoot against each other in a team enviroment, this wont be possible during a prize meeting as you have mentioned

Shooting one range at Bendigo might be a step forward for the idea, we'll see what happens.

Return to “Events”