FCWC Canada 2017 - Individuals Bisley Style

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Daniel Chisholm

#16 Postby Daniel Chisholm » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:00 pm

bartman007 wrote:Daniel, it's great that you have managed to see the post and provide some concise feedback in the process.

One thing I've always wondered is, how do you keep track of the 45 seconds? Is there a time clock like in chess, where you take it in turns bashing the button? Or do you have another method?

In regard to the penalty for exceeding 45 seconds, what is it please?

I think the only thing that will be hurt by this method of shooting is our pride (initially), until we learn to shoot in this style. After all, most shots will be like taking a sighter, we may be able to learn off what our mate has just shot, however when bad conditions sweep through, we will have no choice but to take an educated guess, grit our teeth and fire :shock:

"Everybody" is supposed to keep track of the 45s time limit - including the shooter, his scorekeeper (who is also shooting), and the range officers. In practice, scorekeepers tend to be extremely reluctant to tell a shooter they are shooting too slowly, or to bring a slow shooter to the attention of the range officer, even though they really ought to. And enforcement by range officers has been pretty spotty, to the point that abuse of the rule is a bit rampant. However this past year we finally had the range officers get a bit more active in timing shooters and issuing warnings.

The penalty for exceeding the time limit is 5 points (i.e. if caught you are going to lose the value of a shot!!). The procedure is that if a range officer times you and finds you to be exceeding the time limit for a shot, and you don't have a satisfactory excuse, he will issue you a warning. If you again exceed the time limit and he catches you, you are given a 5-pt penalty. I don't recall a penalty ever having been given - if a shooter gets a warning from an RO he usually smartens up pretty quickly.

johnk wrote:The tricky issue at Bisley is that the competitors score for each other - there's no independent scorers - & so, like many rules thereabouts, you might find exceptions by connivance or acquiescence are not unusual. Nevertheless the RCO is expected to oversight the shooting on his block & desirably, bring recalcitrant into line.

Though in principle you and I as shooting partners might conspire to cheat, I don't know of any case that it has actually happened. Squadding is randomized, so it would only be by the luck of the draw that you and I would end up shooting together, though certainly from time to time you will have two people squadded together who know each other. I suppose it would be similar for a single-string shooter to arrange to conspire with his scorekeeper to cheat, though with a check scorer perhaps that conspiracy is made so difficult as to be virtually nonexistent.

GregW wrote:One thing to be aware of is the time involved in "Bisley Style" shooting. A "block time" is allocated to each detail. From memory, I think two shooters are given 25 minutes to complete. This means that the whole range is tied to 25 minutes a pair. I shot "F" class this way in Canada in 2007, (winning the Farquarson and Polar Bear Aggregates). You need to have a plot sheet and be able to read it and your mate's score card, which may be difficult if you have optics geared for long distance. TR can be very trying on elbows of you are not used to it, but "F" class doesn't have such a problem. One thing you will find in Canada is that you will be treated in a most friendly manner at all times.

For two shooters firing 2ss10 at the shorter ranges, we allow 25 minutes. At longer ranges we allocate 30 minutes for two shooters firing 2ss10.

Yes I remember you firing F-Class in 2007, I thought it was pretty darn smart for a Palma coach to shoot the warmups matches with an FTR rifle. In looking over the competitor list of the 2013 FCWC I saw a shooter named Jane Messer and was impressed with that too.

The Farquharson Agg is the Grand Aggregate for FTR shooters: http://www.dcra.ca/results/2007/CFRC/a616.htm

The Polar Bear Aggregate is the agg of all mid and long ranges fired http://www.dcra.ca/results/2007/CFRC/a636.htm (scroll down to the bottom for the list of F-F shooters and F-Open shooters and you'll see that Greg was the top F-F shooter) ("F-F" is short for "F-Farquharson", which is what we called FTR back in 2007).

Peter Hulett

#17 Postby Peter Hulett » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:15 pm

My understanding is that all English teams that are going to shoot overseas practice at Bloemfontein in South Africa before the competition. That of course is Bisley triples but the experience also sorts out any personality problems in teams.

johnk

#18 Postby johnk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Daniel,

I'm not suggesting anything particularly nefarious, but let me ask you. Do you time the shooter you're scoring for or challenge him if you perceive that he's dragging his tail somewhat?

I believe that as applied, Bisley style mandates prompt shooting with a notional per shot time as an indicative value.

John

Craig McGowan

#19 Postby Craig McGowan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi Alan & all,

I also note the the Canadian team is already calling for expressions of interest from anyone thinking of being part of the team for 2017.

Any F-Class shooters interested in being considered for the 2017 FCWC team should contact Eric at fcwc2017captain@gmail.com for further information on the selection program.

Nothing like being prepared.

AlanF

#20 Postby AlanF » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:32 pm

I agree Craig. It could be said that we went well in Raton with only about 18 months preparation, but starting things earlier would I'm sure have resulted in even better performance. And we can't expect the other nations to sit still - we raised the bar in F-Open - they will now attempt to raise it further.

BTW I will probably not go to Canada in 2017. With the way F-Open is taking off around Australia, there will be plenty of excellent team shooters available. But ozfclass.com will be ready to help in whatever way it can.

Alan

bsouthernau

#21 Postby bsouthernau » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:59 am

Peter Hulett wrote:My understanding is that all English teams that are going to shoot overseas practice at Bloemfontein in South Africa before the competition. That of course is Bisley triples but the experience also sorts out any personality problems in teams.

I think triples is a much better way of doing this than pairs. That way the next to shoot is preparing while the other two shoot and score.

Barry

Daniel Chisholm

#22 Postby Daniel Chisholm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 am

johnk wrote:Daniel,

I'm not suggesting anything particularly nefarious, but let me ask you. Do you time the shooter you're scoring for or challenge him if you perceive that he's dragging his tail somewhat?

In principle you are supposed to, though in practice it is very much the exception - for whatever reason most people find it extremely difficult to confront their partner and say "come on now, hurry up and respect the 45s rule!".

Even when it becomes borderline abusive (a shooter "faking" a rifle problem, or a position or vision problem, when what he's really doing is trying to wait out a wind change, it is difficult to call the shooter out on it. Though that is CLEARLY against both the letter and the spirit of the rules.

I believe that as applied, Bisley style mandates prompt shooting with a notional per shot time as an indicative value.

John

The 45s (or 60s when pairs firing in TR) rule is there in order to have an objective enforceable number should it become necessary for an RO to time a shooter and possibly apply a penalty.

The gist of it is, when the target comes up it is your turn to GET ON WITH IT, DOPE THE WIND AND FIRE YOUR SHOT. There's no need to rush and reasonable accommodation will be given, except that waiting out a wind condition is not what it's about.

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 am

Hmmm - it sounds like there is potential for more experienced shooters or strong characters to bully their partner(s) - Bisley style would suit those who grasp every opportunity for advantage. There must be quite a psychological aspect to it when compared with string shooting.

Daniel Chisholm

#24 Postby Daniel Chisholm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

Alan - not nearly as bad as you make it sound possible. Plus we are finally getting our range staff to be active and diligent on this sort of stuff.

AlanF

#25 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 am

Daniel Chisholm wrote:Alan - not nearly as bad as you make it sound possible. Plus we are finally getting our range staff to be active and diligent on this sort of stuff.

Sorry Daniel - I'm sure you're right. In our string shooting format, I've seen an occasional case of pressure being put on scorers over things like time limits, usually an experienced shooter trying to bend the rules, and an inexperienced scorer.

johnk

#26 Postby johnk » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Alan,

If you want to really mindf*** a methodical shooter during pairs, shoot with an erratic rhythm.

John

Gord

"Bisley" pairs shooting

#27 Postby Gord » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:38 am

G'day fellas,
Yep,pairs or triplet shooting is a wee bit of a change from string and really should be "practiced".I cut my teeth on "triplets" when we were squaded in amongst sling shooters.It really forces you to pay attention to conditions
and to making more changes to you calls.
It really adds another dimension to the game as somedays every shot is a sighter :-).
Generally I don't know of any competitor here in Canada that times his
"partner" but on occasion if the person seems to be taking what seems overly long to get his shot off ,the watch come into play .If it is long,a kind word to the competitor usually suffices.Same deal on timing a target marker.Somedays it "appears" way longer than it actually is.
In most instances,we F'ers here get into a pattern or cadence and finish long before the time alloted. However, when on the line, "games" can be tried by a few. I've seen it and have had it tried on me.I treat other shooters the way I want to be treated ,and if someone tries "crap" then, like the expression I got from Mark on the Oz Team..."Game on!!"
In most instances ,any untoward behavior is soon stopped and getting back to the fun of the sport recommences.
I found switching to "string" fire exhilarating as it's just you and the target
at a speed you and the conditions control.Pairs will slow you down some (which is not always a bad thing) and make you pay closer attention and study conditions.If squadded with a shooter of equal ballistics and experience,you can read off their shot (to a degree).Still you have to make your own calls.
Just for fun,next time out ,bring your stop watch. Even shooting single string,wait 30 to 45 seconds between shots .It really tends to add that extra dimension.......
All in all,the center remains in the center(unlike some who wanted it moved around between shots just for fun ..ummm.. tactical)
I believe pairs will REALLY help a shooter develop more patience and put a new perspective on decision making .No time to "wait out" the tornado!!!
45 seconds tops to decide and go...

However....just keep in mind how comfortable the green thick grassy mounds are up here in Canada (once you get past the goose crap and weeds) and how the nice constant soft breezes keep you comfortable while laying underneath always blue skies and sunshine. (ummm..a little exaggerated)
Looking forward to seeing any and all who want to come on up...we'll keep a light on.
Regards
Gord O

Craig McGowan

#28 Postby Craig McGowan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Gord,

What sort of weather conditions would one expect around the time the FCWC are to be conducted?

Also would you have any info on the ballistics restrictions that will be in effect?

Cheers.

Craig.

Gord

CONNAUGHT RANGE BALLISTIC TEMPLATE

#29 Postby Gord » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:43 am

Hi Craig,
This attached program just requires you to type in the bullets published BC and speed and it will show you how in stacks up to the restriction curve.

http://reloading.jimdo.com/downloads-1/ ... lculators/

I try to find a node a "little" on the shy side to prevent any questionable
readings.
To be honest ,I have no idea how they will monitor or implement other than the ammunition certification every competitor fills out prior to each match.
Basically it says that the ammunition you are using has been tested and is
safe in all conditions under which match will be shot and that it conforms to Range template safety limits.
As some shooter/reloaders may "push pressures and safety limits" there is always the concern that a "catastrophic" failure could happen.It has lead to some discussions amongst committees and has been resolved with common sense.

As to the weather in Connaught in August....... Generally warm and HUMID
.It's been different experiences from blue sky ,calm gentle breezes to a
WTF was that hurricanes name?
I've attended a CFRC where it was 100 plus with 100% humidity (at midnight) for a solid 10 days and others where I thought it couldn't be any nicer.
Always warmer,definitely rain here and there.
For those few Ozzies that like the occasional "cold one" ,I can say that sitting old the porch of the "Old Mess" (now bar) watching the sun go down over the range,discussing the days events and plain BSing...just cannot be described,but needs to be experienced.
Hope to meet you up here Craig.
Regards
Gord

Return to “Events”