Easter At Glenrowan

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Easter At Glenrowan

#1 Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:40 am

Easter at Glenrowan is a tradition upheld for many years by the N06--Ovens & Murray DRA together with the Wangaratta Rifle Club.

It's on again this Easter

Saturday 15th April is No6 DRA prize Meeting Consisting of 10 shots at 3,5&600 Yards.

Sunday 16th April is the Wangaratta RC prize meeting consisting of 10 shots at 3,5& 600Metres

F Class standard Is especially catered for this year with the inclusion of F standard "B" grade.____ BOTH DAYS.

Heaps of trophies. A coached Pairs Match on Saturday, Two Day agg prize and a lucky entrant draw on Sunday of a two day holiday package.

So, C'mon all you F Class Standard shooters out there,--- Wang RC and No6 DRA are doing the right thing by you,---Show them that you appreciate what they are doing and support them.

Unfortunately there is no provision for F Class open. Well, if you don't support them , you cannot expect them to support you.
The buck starts with YOU.

There were 3 only Vic FO shooters at the recent Queens, and thats a pretty poor showing.

Support begets support.

I'm Going to Glenrowan at Easter , who else is Going?

Barry Davies

[/u]

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:07 pm

Barry,

There were actually 4 Vic shooters in the Queens itself, and about 3 times that number of Vic F-Std. Now I don't have all the figures, but we were probably better represented than F-Std, because I estimate there would be more than 3 times the number of active F-Std shooters in this state than F-Open.

However when our numbers are as small as they are, you can't expect us to be able to turn up in decent numbers at all OPMs - we simply haven't reached the "critical mass" to be able to do that. But I'm confident that we've seen the worst of it, and our numbers will now grow steadily. Some OPMs are making an effort to cater for F-Open despite knowing that the numbers may be disappointing - if they are prepared to hang in there for a couple of years, I hope they are the ones who reap the rewards of good patronage later on.

Now Barry I realise that you're being critical for a good reason - to try to stir people into attending these shoots. But probably the best way of helping to boost F-Open numbers would be by building a rifle and joining us :wink: !

Alan
Last edited by AlanF on Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm

How many FO members does Glenrowan club have?
Cheers
RB

#4 Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:58 pm

Alan,

My mistake, there were 4 and I guess that is 1 better than poor.

Alan, you were not better represented than FS, you only had 4 reps against 11 (vics) Percentage wise as a state, yes, but %'S is meaningless --lets talk about bums on seats.

Alan, the best way to boost FO is to make it attractive to the rank and file as is FS.
You now have the chance to do just that, and, although I do not intend to get involved in any discussions about FO, I would make a suggestion, If you (FO people ) are seriously concerned about the lack of numbers in FO, then while you are looking at new rules ask around as to why more shooters do not shoot FO. This might give you some idea as to where to start in attracting new members (to FO )
There must be reasons why FS is much preferred over FO, ask the pertinent questions and you may be well on the way to increasing your numbers.

Raven,
The Range is at Glenrowan, the club is Wangaratta.

To answer your question, there is only one FO shooter at Wangaratta. but about 7or 8 FS shooters.

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Easter Monday Shoot

In addition to Glenrowan on Sat and Sun the East Central DRA is conducting a PM at the recently reopened VIOLET TOWN range. on MONDAY 17th April.

This I understand replaces the traditional PM at MERTON.
Shooting is 10 shots at 3,5 &600yd

F Class is Included.

There is an 'Easter agg " with Glenrowan and a 2 year agg.

So again, C'mon and support East Central

Barry Davies

RAVEN

#6 Postby RAVEN » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:35 pm

Barry thanx for the info
In regard to FS and FO IMO the FS is an entry level of F-Class and I’m not saying less than! But it isn’t as equipment based and more to do with wind reading skills anyone can whack a scope on a FB rifle and be reasonably competitive or at least feel that they are.
Just buying an FO cal rifle won't cut it
There can be larger cost factor in FO expensive stocks, custom actions, custom bullets and so on barrels also are disposed of more often than the FS cals
The one thing I did notice at the VIC Queens was all FS shooters squadded with FB :o
it tends or lends it self to making FO a bit alien and I know there are a lot of ppl that won't agree with me but this is a divide and conquer I would have preferred FS to shoot along side FO on there separate target.
I think they would have more in common with FO than FB (but then again I don’t come from a FB background)

I also think this is a great discussion point and maybe chatting to other FS shooters we may be able to get a handle on why the no's are so different there is a possibility that this is the way it will always be.

Sorry the Hijack the thread Alan If U want me to repost in general I will
Cheers
RB :D

bruce moulds

#7 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:28 pm

barry,
does going from std up to open have anything in common with puberty?
bruce.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:33 pm

Barry,

Of course we would like more numbers in F-Open in Victoria, but we're not treating it as a competition to get more than F-Std. All we want is sufficient numbers to give people the opportunity of having decent fields to compete in on most weekends and within reasonable driving distance. That would probably be the case if we had about 20 to 30 regular shooters around the state. At present we have less than 10.

As far as finding out what people want from F-Open, in order to attract them, I don't think any of our current number would want to make significant changes to what we do now. In my opinion the best thing we can do is to have fun shooting, make welcome any potential new starters, and hope they share our enthusiasm. If they prefer F-Std, or benchrest, then that's okay, but I wouldn't like to see us changing in either of those directions in the hope of building up membership.

Richard,
It wasn't you who hijacked the thread - Barry managed to do that in his initial post :lol: !

Alan

RAVEN

#9 Postby RAVEN » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:42 pm

NP Alan i was getting of topic
The F in F-CLASS stands for FUN doen't it :?: :?: :?:

#10 Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:04 pm

Raven.
You have got to be joking mate. If indeed you truly believe that F standard is an entry point to F open can you please explain to me why you still have a very small proportion of the members? and why F std continues to grow with very few crossing over to open?

If you cant answer this, i will be more than happy to do so for you. Your comments regarding cost factors may go a long way to determine your answers, and dont forget that F standard is not only shot in Australia.

Matt P

#11 Postby Matt P » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Barrry
You said "Make it more attactive to the rank and file as is FS" I think I know where you're headed with this but correct me if I'm wrong.
You would like to see the target made easier so new comers can get a better score which is fine bit it also makes it easier for the "top shots" so what does it acheive ?? If you look at the scores at recent Queens if you make that 10 ring any bigger and perfect scores will be shot all over the place .
If I'm wrong please tell me and any other changes that will boost numbers, you may not shoot FO but it doesn't mean you don't have the answer.

Matt P

Lynn Otto

#12 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:28 pm

Hi Adam

I'm not sure that you have read Richard's post correctly, he did not say that Std was an entry point to FO, he said it was an entry level to F Class, two entirely different things. This is logical for the reason he stated, it is easy to put a scope on a fullbore rifle and shoot Std, and be competative, you can't put a scope on a fullbore rifle and shoot Open, not if you want to be competative. He was not in any way being derogatory to F Std.

The second point is that he was ackowleding that the cost is a factor in the lesser numbers in Open so I'm not sure why you worded your response the way you did. But then maybe I have read your post incorrectly, please let me know if I have.

I am a dedicated Std shooter but Richard's point about all F Class being squadded together, even if they are on different targets, is a valid one. Although, it probably highlights yet again the differences that exist between the states, extremely few of us are ex fullbore, our friends and fellow shooters shoot F Class, singular, and not separated into two classes with half of them squadded in with an entirely different discipline.

It would be nice if everyone remembered that first and formost we are shooting F Class. Taking swipes at each other is counterproductive to all concerned. :cry:

Lynn

Lynn Otto

#13 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:35 pm

To put this thread back on track......

Barry, it sounds like it would be a great weekend all round. Unfortunately, and for obvious reasons, we won't be there to enjoy the company, but I do wish everyone a good weekends shooting. I hope you get a great turnout.

Lynn

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:48 pm

And I might add that the flyers for these shoots are available on our Event Calendar (OPMs) page. :)

bully_eye

#15 Postby bully_eye » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:15 pm

I just spent an hour writing a response to this but in the interests of not starting another argument and keeping the thread on track, I edited it down to this,

"Best of Luck with your upcoming OPM"

Michael :-#

Return to “Events”