Vic Queens F-Open Diary

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#16 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:58 am

If you're talking about the 3 6.5's mentioned, Matt and I were using SMK142, but not sure about Kelvin. The 7mm that was 3rd was Stuart Braund and I seem to remember him mentioning SMK168 (or possibly Berger 180). If Richard (Raven) is watching he might be able to confirm.

Regarding twist rates, mine is 8.5, I think Matt's is 8, and the 7mm was 9 at most.

Alan

Matt P

#17 Postby Matt P » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:10 pm

Tony
Mine is a 6.5x57AI 8 twist with 142SMK running at 2910fps, I think it will be my last 6.5 and will probably go for a medium sized 6mm for the longs with the 115Dtac bullet.

Raven
The bus obviously made it back to SA but how long did it take and did it overheat ?????

To everyone who went to the Vic Queens thanks for your company, had a great time (well except for the marking at the first 900) and it was great to see some new faces !!

Matt P

RAVEN

#18 Postby RAVEN » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Alan I was using 168VLD's at the short and 180VLD's at longs out of 1:8.5 twist the 168 I run around 2900fps and the 180's @ 2870fps
The good water line U observed at 600 was the 180gr load I did have the odd elevation at 1000yds this load I had only just worked up before the queens obviously this still need some tweaking.

I was great to meet all U guys as I have read had heard allot about you all
I’ve followed results in queens around the country for some time.

Matt I was a pleasure to watch you go to work and I now know why U have allot of success I was watching u closely and learned a few things thanx.

The series also high lighted just a few thing that can go wrong (scopes, marking etc.) and it is one thing to compete and another is learning to win I also have great admiration for ppl like Kelvin whom had a chance to put him self in the placing’s for grand and due to an incident was deal a harsh blow but just got on with the job.

I also think a mid size 6mm would do fine maybe the lapua 6.5 X 47 necked down will be looking into this one in the coming months.

Matt I think the radiator flush helped with the over heating but not the flat tyre: lol:
Cheers
RICHARD

Cameron Mc

#19 Postby Cameron Mc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:40 pm

Matt and Alan, just wondering why your preference for 142 SMK's. I now use 139 Lapua's after trying the Sierra's first. Not much in it, but I find the Lapua's to be more consistent with regard to dimensions. Just curious.

Thanks, Cameron

Matt P

#20 Postby Matt P » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:52 pm

Cameron
I use the SMK for one simple reason they work. I agree the Lapua bullet measures and weighs better but for me the end results aren't as good and the SMK seem to be more forgiving with seating depth.

Matt P

Cameron Mc

#21 Postby Cameron Mc » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:13 pm

Thanks Matt

My current 6.5 goes best with Lapua's. It is just the old saying that every barrel is a rule unto itself.
Good hit the Vic Queens, hopefully we can meet at the Nationals or the Qld Queens, all being well I will be there this year.

Cameron

AlanF

#22 Postby AlanF » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:58 pm

Cameron,

I agree that the Lapuas measure better, but for me the SMKs seem to give better elevation at the longs. Whereas I usually use Scenar 139s at the shorts.

I'd like to get to the Nationals one day (after retirement \:D/ ) but will probably stick with just Canberra and Bendigo for now (and maybe Adelaide?:-k ).

Alan

jlorimer

VIC QUEENS

#23 Postby jlorimer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:16 pm

Hi! Matt, Congrats on your Queens Win. Looking at the scores, I'd say it was a good competitive shoot overall. I'm curious about you giving up the 6.5 and going over to the 6mm for long range. Barrel life is not going to be any better, and even if you can get hold of the 115gn Sierras from Tubb - I couldn't, the ballistics will still be the same as what you are using with the 142SMK's. Situation draw?

I have gone the opposite way, and gone from the 6mm to the 6.5, and am runnig at 2800 with a 139gn Scenar, hopefully this will keep the revs down a bit, and reduce the long range verticals a mite. With the 6mm 107s and 105's , I was getting severe verticals at long range with winds going against the rotation of the bullet, up to 1.5mins in some cases. I have been investigating why, and have come to the conclusion, that the 1:8 twist is the culprit, and I dare say that this would also be a slight problem with the 6.5's running at your speed with a 1:8 twist. I think the 1:8.5 twist barrel woul solve a lot of problems.

I have a mate in Rockhampton who has done a lot of work on making a very long neck, 40 degree shoulder, 6mm case out of a .308 , and it shoots. If your interested, give me a pm.
Keep 'em in the Super V. John Lorimer

Return to “Events”