Great Southern DRA Meeting - Albany WA

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

Great Southern DRA Meeting - Albany WA

#1 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Hello all,

The GSDRA meeting is coming up again. It is on the 22nd and 23rd of January 2011. It is always well attended, and a good attendance of F Class shooters.

It is a nice range, with reticulated mounds and 20 targets. Also has a big clubhouse, and the best camping ground going. Being a popular holiday destination in its own right, Albany is a sort after destination for shooters and others.

Our family goes to Albany for holidays, and it is just handy that we stay at the rifle range while there. It is cheap, we know everyone, it is safe for kids, and very friendly.

I will be shooting FO this coming year, now that my 260 INCH is going well. I now will start annoying my FO mates to come and shoot there as well. There are badges and trophies already earmarked for both FS and FO - helped by the fact that my wife is the GSDRA secretary, and our company a sponsor :D :D

actionclear

#2 Postby actionclear » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:38 pm

This is the first time FO is being run at Albany.

As Rod said, we have 1 badge allocated, and trophies exactly the same as Target Rifle / F Standard even though we are only expecting 5 shooters to participate in this division.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

Woody_rod

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 am

actionclear wrote:This is the first time FO is being run at Albany.

As Rod said, we have 1 badge allocated, and trophies exactly the same as Target Rifle / F Standard even though we are only expecting 5 shooters to participate in this division.

That would be 4 shooters and myself :D

alocky

#4 Postby alocky » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:19 pm

actionclear wrote:This is the first time FO is being run at Albany.

I'm going to try out the 6.5-284 and I have a friend with a 6mm BR I have finally persuaded to come along.
I've got the flyer from WARA, but it doesn't tell me when we need to get our entires in by. Is there a deadline?
cheers,
Andrew

actionclear

#5 Postby actionclear » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:33 am

Great to hear Andrew.

No entries required, just show up at the range. You know where it is?
Friday is Albany's PM. They are not catering for FO, but you may wish to use this shoot for some practice.

Great Southern starts Saturday with a badge on offer for F Open, and trophies that match T/R and F Standard.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

actionclear

#6 Postby actionclear » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:20 pm

Andrew,

Your friend will need to supply his club average if he is a new shooter. :wink:
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

alocky

#7 Postby alocky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:06 am

Damn - I happen to know that most of the club's F-class records dissappeared during the great hard-drive crash of '10. We've been using the old 10 ring F-open targets for the last year or so, so I'm not sure how meaningful the averages would be anyway.
Tell you what, though, that little 6mmBR can shoot tiny groups on a good day at disturbingly long ranges...

Mark Hamersley

#8 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:51 pm

G'day Rod

Originally I was not going to make it as my wife had a trip planned which clashed. This is now resolved and provided work does not get in the way I should be there. Brett Bunyan is a forum member so hope he sees this thread and can make it too.

Watch out for the Chidlow boys (Andrew and friend) as they can both shoot rather well. Albany might have a bit more wind though :-). I think(hope) I have found the range on Google Earth - 35° 3'23.46"S 117°50'46.76"E, just off Frenchman Bay Rd so not hard to get to.

Looking forward to catching up!

best regards

Mark

alocky

#9 Postby alocky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks Mark - but I've yet to see my name appear above yours in the final score listing!
Better watch out now I've got the March installed...
One other question:
Can we use benchrest style flags on the range during the shoot? I've recently bought some and I like showing them off, even if all they do at Chidlow is confuse...
Andrew.

johnk

#10 Postby johnk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:48 pm

alocky wrote:Can we use benchrest style flags on the range during the shoot?

Interesting argument that. Is it the promoters or the competitors granted the right to non standard flags?

National Rifle Association of Australia Limited
Standard Shooting Rules Page 33 of 62 Revision: 18 March 2009
CHAPTER 14
RANGE EQUIPMENT
14.1 Wind Flags
14.1.1 State Associations conducting open competitions shall have displayed standard range wind flags, in addition to
any danger flags required by the Inspector of Rifle Ranges, as follows:
14.1.2 At least four standard range wind flags shall be displayed for every ten targets [or part thereof] in use.
14.1.3 At least one standard range wind flag shall be displayed for every ten targets [or part thereof] in use forward of
the minimum distance mound being used at the time, which must be visible to all competitors.
14.1.4 Non-standard flags may be displayed in addition to 14.1.1 and 14.1.2, but they must be of non standard colour
or clearly be of a non standard configuration.

14.1.5 Standard range wind flag measurements:
Length 420cm [14’] nominal
Depth of charge [pole] 180cm [6’] nominal
Depth of fly [tail] 30cm [12”]
Material:
100% spun polyester fabric
165-170 gram per sq metre
Red upper half and gold/yellow lower half on standard range flags
Other colour combinations on non-standard range flags

Mark Hamersley

#11 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Andrew

The non-std windflags you saw at the WA Queens were supplied and set up by competitors and have been used for many years. I haven't shot at Albany before so I can't say if they are a standard feature of this shoot. I am guessing a number of Perth based FS shooters will attend so would not be surprised to see non-std flags. I suggest you check with the GSDRA, perhaps through Linda Shehan.

Hi John

Interesting indeed and not clear in terms of the rights on my reading. Perhaps a clarification needs looking at?. What I see in WA is the organisers allowing competitors to set up their own flags, I think competitors are the only ones owning these things. IIRC the first time they were used at the WA Queens there was a question of fairness raised (back when f-class was squadded separately at the end of the mound). The outcome was two lines of flags being setup down the range to enalbe all competitors a reasonable view (should they wish to do so). Seems to have worked OK since.

best regards

Mark

actionclear

#12 Postby actionclear » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Andrew you are most welcome to bring your flags to Albany. Graham Oats will be bringing his as well. Not sure if Graham will be shooting Open or standard at this stage.

Andrew, don't stress on the average, we will figure it out when he gets here.

Frenchmans Bay Road, the road opens up to the estuary on the left, just past this there is a small white sign with a red arrow on the right. The red flag should be flying on the gate.

If you reach Little Grove, you have gone to far.

The area around the range was burnt out by 2010 fires. (A clue you're getting close) The range was saved by some mighty brave club members, and hero water bombers. :)

Mark, look forward to seeing you here.

The range has toilets, laundry, kitchen. Breakfast and Lunch available for small charge, Saturday dinner is covered in your entry. A meal will be provided on Friday night, but I'm unsure of the cost at this stage.

Bar available.

Don't forget to let the F Standard shooters know, a second division is being run for them. There are so many standard shooters that are not completing yet. This is the perfect entry shoot for them.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

actionclear

#13 Postby actionclear » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:39 pm

alocky wrote:Thanks Mark - but I've yet to see my name appear above yours in the final score listing!
Better watch out now I've got the March installed...
One other question:
Can we use benchrest style flags on the range during the shoot? I've recently bought some and I like showing them off, even if all they do at Chidlow is confuse...
Andrew.

Anything in addition to the NRAA approved flags and other stuff is usually up to the match committee.

I don't find the smalll indicators much use myself, but then again, I have shot and coached at Albany a few times, so have an idea of what is going on.

My scope is a 700 gram weaver, which allows a massive barrel instead.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

actionclear

#14 Postby actionclear » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Just back from the Albany range.

The turn off to the range is 4kms from the trainline on Frenchman's Bay Road. Look out for the small white sign with red arrow on the right.

Red flag on the gate, and new Great Southern Rifle Association sign on the fence.

There are a couple of trees on the road that block the view of the gate. But as you come around the bend, you will see the part of the 2010 bushfire. Burnt trees means you are there.

You can come and see just how close we came to losing the clubhouse!
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

actionclear

#15 Postby actionclear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Well, the caravan is packed, and we head off tomorrow.

Weather conditions are currently looking very pleasant. But it is Albany, anything can and does happen down there! LOL

Updates on http://www.wurgabup.webs.com under results.

Sounds like we are going to get a few attempt to shoot both F Std and F Open. Should make things interesting, and boost the F Open numbers.

We may get back in here for updates as well. Will see how things go.

Those of you attending, we'll see you there!
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

Return to “Events”