WA Queens F-Open Blog

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

alocky

#31 Postby alocky » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Woody_rod wrote:Alan,

That makes 4-1, sorry mate :D :D :D :D

I'll even the score a bit then. I went into the Queens knowing those were the rules, and not having any preconceptions that I would make the final 5. After all, it's a competition, and most competitions have a 'heat' and a 'final'. I can understand your dissapointment at missing the last range, especially since you could reasonably have expected to.
We all shot 1000 last year from memory, and there were a couple of 15 shot matches as well. Maybe we'll return to that format, but either way, I'll still be in it.
At least only 2 F open guys missed out - how many TR and F standard guys missed out on 1000 yards? I was expecting them to cut us back to the top three.
Anyway - hope they figure out somethign more universally acceptable next year.

Woody_rod

#32 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Hello Andrew and welcome to the forum. I am pretty sure we met at the Queens? Hope so, considering we were so few in FO. We have some more shoots coming up, are you interested?

On to the thread:

I am not personally worried about not being in the final as such, I didn't deserve to be there either way.

The whole problem is that WARA removed the opportunity without asking the shooters, and mostly that they then made the major error of making only the finalists scores add to the grand Agg. This is just stupid. They seem to forget that the shooters are what is important, not the WARA council. Typical power trip.

I now think of this as the "people that can't shoot" program. Where those that have no clue at 1000 yards (there are quite a few), don't want to shoot it, and would have no chance of being in the final, even if it was at 300 yards.

This is only slightly tongue in cheek.... :D :D :evil: :evil:

timothi3197

#33 Postby timothi3197 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Woody_rod wrote:

The whole problem is that WARA removed the opportunity without asking the shooters, and mostly that they then made the major error of making only the finalists scores add to the grand Agg. This is just stupid. They seem to forget that the shooters are what is important, not the WARA council. Typical power trip.

I now think of this as the "people that can't shoot" program. Where those that have no clue at 1000 yards (there are quite a few), don't want to shoot it, and would have no chance of being in the final, even if it was at 300 yards.

Disconnection from the bulk of members is a very dangerous path for any association to tread down.

The top few percent cannot run an organisation, it is the bulk that carry the financial burden. This is sometimes forgotten when decisions are made.

I have seen how this can affect people.

alocky

#34 Postby alocky » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:40 pm

Woody_rod wrote:Hello Andrew and welcome to the forum. I am pretty sure we met at the Queens? Hope so, considering we were so few in FO. We have some more shoots coming up, are you interested?

On to the thread:

I am not personally worried about not being in the final as such, I didn't deserve to be there either way.

Cheers Rod - it was nice to meet you guys at the Queens. I guess I shoot at a club where there's only one other F-classer, and we have no exposure to the political scene at WARA, so I was unaware that they'd sprung that rule without consultation. I'm on our club's comittee, but I try and stay out of that sort of thing as much as possible!
I'm definitely keen on doing some more shoots - family commitments permitting, and I'm pretty sure I can get our other shooter to come along as well. He's got a very nice Stolle action with a Hart barrel chambered in 6mmBR and we're pretty evenly matched.
cheers,
Andrew.[/quote]

Woody_rod

#35 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:30 am

alocky wrote:Cheers Rod - it was nice to meet you guys at the Queens. I guess I shoot at a club where there's only one other F-classer, and we have no exposure to the political scene at WARA, so I was unaware that they'd sprung that rule without consultation. I'm on our club's comittee, but I try and stay out of that sort of thing as much as possible!
I'm definitely keen on doing some more shoots - family commitments permitting, and I'm pretty sure I can get our other shooter to come along as well. He's got a very nice Stolle action with a Hart barrel chambered in 6mmBR and we're pretty evenly matched.
cheers,
Andrew.

Great :D :D

We will be shooting the Long Range Championships 11 and 12 December at Swanbourne. I will be in FO (shooting 260 INCH cal, and maybe 6BR at the shorts), my wife FS and my eldest son will probably be there in FS as well....although, if I leave the 223AI barrel in, he can shoot in FO as well MUHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted:

Are you available? If we can get enough to get the FO going again will be good. Some other guys might have a go as well.

actionclear

#36 Postby actionclear » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:57 am

I am also on the Great Southern Commitee, I will be asking the committee to look at adding F Open to our shoot. They have already been given a heads up with positive comments resulting.

You won't have any problems in getting your family to come and spend a few days in Albany in January. It's a beautiful spot, with plenty for the family to do while you shoot.

Our meeting is in a couple of weeks, so will let you know what has been decided.

actionclear

#37 Postby actionclear » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Alan, I have a photo of you taken at Swanbourne. Do I have your permission to post it here?

alocky

#38 Postby alocky » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:03 pm

actionclear wrote:I am also on the Great Southern Commitee, I will be asking the committee to look at adding F Open to our shoot. They have already been given a heads up with positive comments resulting.

You won't have any problems in getting your family to come and spend a few days in Albany in January. It's a beautiful spot, with plenty for the family to do while you shoot.

Our meeting is in a couple of weeks, so will let you know what has been decided.

We've got some good friends in Albany, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've got a few barrels for the Barnard, including a Palma contour .308 so all I have to do is wind up the trigger pressure a bit and I'm in F std. Makes very little difference to my shooting. :oops:
My wife is due in mid Feb with our second kid, and she takes a dim view of me doing anything that could be construed as 'fun' while she's feeling sorry for herself.
I do like Albany, but I like the vineyards around Mt Barker even more...
cheers,
Andrew.

AlanF

#39 Postby AlanF » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:38 pm

actionclear wrote:Alan, I have a photo of you taken at Swanbourne. Do I have your permission to post it here?

Sounds scarey :shock: . Do you have one of Brad Pitt (or better still his wife) instead? I try to make this website pleasant to look at.

Actually Mark H kindly sent me some - here's a selection:

A: Yours truly shooting one of the shorter ranges.

B: Shehan's road train. Needed someone out the front with an orange flashing light.

C: From left me, Andrew Lockwood ("alocky"), Warwick Brown and Brett Bunyan discussing the woes of the world.

That should let me off the hook Lynda?

Alan :)
Last edited by AlanF on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookie

#40 Postby Cookie » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Alan you and rod could have a race road train Vs The grey machine.

Rod that rest looks gd on that rifle it maybe best not to split them up so just send the rifle back too hahahaha..

alocky

#41 Postby alocky » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:50 pm

C: From left me, Anthony Lockwood ("alocky"), Warwick Brown and Brett Bunyan discussing the woes of the world.

That should let me off the hook Lynda?

Alan :)

ahem - that's Andrew. I do have a cousin Anthony though...
:)

AlanF

#42 Postby AlanF » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:17 pm

alocky wrote:ahem - that's Andrew. I do have a cousin Anthony though...
:)

Sorry Andrew. You call me Alister in retaliation....

actionclear

#43 Postby actionclear » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Let's see if I have done this correctly...

Alan.

actionclear

#44 Postby actionclear » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Mark

actionclear

#45 Postby actionclear » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:18 pm

Rod

Return to “Events”