Perth Metro PM

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

Perth Metro PM

#1 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 am

Hello all,

Thought I would post some info on the meeting held this past weekend. I am a TR shooter, but take an interest in FS as well, as I know some of the guys competing.

Saturday had 4 ranges at Swanbourne: 300y, 400y, 500y and 600y. Weather was awesome if you are into parasailing, with winds up to about 30km/h from the SSW. This was not a sea breeze as such, but later steadied and became the "Freo Doctor".

For me, this was the first time I had ever wound more than 1 1/2 MOA wind at 300y! Had up to 4MOA at times, and back to the middle.

There were big holes in the wind, with people coming unstuck in a big way if not watching the flags closely, and shooting quickly when it was right. Generally the scores were good with only a few points dropped the first day. BBQ tea was good for Sat night.

Sunday was a different story. Ranges were 700y, 800y and 900y. Wind was not really strong, but gusty and variable in direction from the East around to SSE. At times later in the morning changing right around to SW. Almost everyone had a shot go somewhere unexpected, even if the flags were not seen to be changing much. Scores in FS were low to mid 40s to high 50's. Scores in TR the same with many good shooters posting scores in the low 40's. My own 42.1 in TR at 900y started to look pretty good!!! You know things are nasty when the guy next to you shooting FS has scores called : 6, 3 (9 oclock), 5, 3 (3 oclock), 4 etc.

The winner of TR was Laurie Mackay, and FS was ??? I will ask and find out and add. I couldnt stay for the presentation (I usually do) as I had a lift to go home for the 3 hour trip waiting for me.

The conditions were very difficult, but I think everyone had a good time. The challenge of the shoot was great for us inexperienced shooters, with some lax behaviour being shown up at the first range.....such as deciding what the windage was while waiting to shoot, then getting down and it being very wrong.

Return to “Events”