proposed new prize shoot

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

#16 Postby johnk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm

bruce moulds wrote:match rifle in aust has been trying to promote long range fclass for many years. i am sure they would welcome any attempt to join them.

As sometime secretary of the national MR association, I can only say, "Amen!"

Historically, the two have been shooting over the MR distances since 2000, when Ken & Man Mountain Larkin & John Skinner shot alongside during the MR Nats in Brisbane. Participation since has been a tad patchy & seems to depend on where the match is being shot (getting there again), who's there to stir up interest (Nick Sims, where are you when we need you) and the course of fire. I've noticed that the likes of Ken Melgaard, one of the LR F class regulars, is inclined to restrict himself to the state championships closer to home when you can about get by with a hundred rrounds or so, rather than the nationals, which will cost you the best part of 200.

We understand that a four day could run an F classer out of barrel if he's got a Queens or three planned, so we're happy when we can get down to it & see whether the horsepower F class guns or the big .30 MR barrels are on top during any competition. One of the plusses of this discipline is that while scoring is different, it's no problem to convert a 5V score to a 6 down F class one, if you want to get that competitive feeling.

Incidentally, in Britain Match Rifle is shot in Bisley pairs usually, not threes. I suspect that it's some concession to the extra degree of difficulty experienced back of 1000 yards. It doesn't make it seem any easier though.

John Kielly

bruce moulds

#17 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:19 pm

international fclass is shot in strings of 15 or 20 to count.
this could have some bearing on calibres selected.
i personally don't have a problem shooting for vees in match rifle, as the distances add quite a degree of difficulty.
anyway, it's said that we should regard barrels as expendible items, just like bullets & powder.
my love of match rifle shooting is i confess one of my reasons for embracing the 284 win over its illigitimate offspring in 6.5mm
bruce.

bruce moulds

#18 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:33 pm

sorry, i forgot to include this in previous post.
while bisley style is not good for the ego, it certainly seperates the wind readers from the shot chasers. this is probably a good thing in the long term, but could scare off that segment of the market that is high score orientated.
in teams it is not such a problem when all bullets in the team have the same b.c. and same speed.
bruce.

Simon C

#19 Postby Simon C » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

That is true Bruce.

However one could look at it like this: Bisley style will teach you alot about wind reading and will draw your focus to the 'keys' on the range (the spotter is one of them too). I know I have leart something on wind reading everytime I have shot it in the past
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

VicMRPres

Proposed New Prize Shoot

#20 Postby VicMRPres » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Have been off the air for a wile so I will confirm that the proposed Corryong "1000" is still on and is a goer on the DATE as originaly proposed as per the flyer elsewhere on the web site.

Regards to all

Greg

VicMRPres

Proposed New Prize Shoot

#21 Postby VicMRPres » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi to all

Check Corryong "1000" Last post

There will be a target of the diamentions that will be used at the WFCM AT BISLEY in July

Regards

Greg

Return to “Events”