Scoped Rifle Training Days

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Tony Q

Scoped Rifle Training Days

#1 Postby Tony Q » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:19 pm

Back Again.

These post are to keep you updated on some things that are happening out there.

Murray Bridge RC has stared running TRAINING DAYS for both beginner and seasoned sporting shooter.

This was introduced for several reasons….

To teach proper shooting technique.

To allow those wishing to shoot at long distance a chance to do it with some training.

To get the name out there (fullbore and F classes)

To increase membership.

And the list goes on …

We had our first training day on the 20th Feb, out second one is this Sunday the 26th June.
The first one was a unbelievable success and was a lot of fun, it was quite humbling having 10 shooters thank us for conducting such an informative course.

We keep the course open to only 10 shooters, this way we can use a 1 on 1 approach to training. Only members scoped rifles are used for the days events.

The basic outline is.

Safety

Suitable rifles for long range work

Scopes

Ballistics

Proper technique

Wind Reading

300m and 500m Live fire.

1000yd demonstration.

All equipment and ammo is supplied, lunch and morning/afternoon tea is also provided.

We charge $95 for each participant.

(the 1000yd demo saw all 10 shooters jaws drop … it was quite a sight 

MBRC gained 3 new members from the first training day.

Our 2nd training day has some participants driving more than 250k to do it.

bruce moulds

#2 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:54 pm

hi tony,
while mbrc gained members, so did ctv benefit from that school.
lets approach sara with regards getting 3 omarks set up to do these days at any club, for the simple reason that it increased sara membership way above most any other initiative recently.
regards
bruce moulds

Tony Q

#3 Postby Tony Q » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Hi Mate

So i understand, 2 or 3 i think for CTV plus the 3 we got.

Thats 5-6 new members from 1 training day for 10 shooters!!!

Most of these guys didnt even know F Class existed, they were frustrated at shooting 300m at the local SSAA benchrest club and then found us :lol:

Dont forget all 10 shooters had to become SARA provisional members for the insurance issues, and at $10 for a 3 month p/membership that $100 to SARA + 200 round of factory ammo.

This next training day will also produce 10 new SARA provisional members.

We are about to put our fist OMARK together, while i dont mind putting up my 2 rifles for the day its something i dont want to make a habbit of.

That first training day was run on 3 rifles and it works as smooth as anything, 3 OMARKS with addiquate scopes will cost ... maybe $800 each.

So, $2 - 3k would set it up very well.

Bruce, i'll put you down for the first cash contribution ... make sure you give it to me on Saturday ... PS its the AGM this week!!! so you must be there 8)

Training Rifles

#4 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:29 am

Ok here at Bendigo we have an Omark in 223 with a weaver T24 i bellieve you should use a 223 for training a new shooter especialy in F Class where the recoil can realy annoy people and most new shooters will get hit by the scope at some time. we have had new Male and Female members and all thought that the 223 was better to shoot and they shoot better scores with a 223 than a 308. the 223 with 80gr Sierra at 3000fps is also fine for 1000 yards. just plug in the numbers. Also if someone was looking an building a rifle for F Standard i would reccomend a 223 over a 308 for there first rifle. then i would reccomend a 6mm BR for there next as they move on to Open as the recoil will be managable with a long barrel life then after that if they want a bigger rifle a 6.5 or 7mm.

Cheers Bill

#5 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:57 pm

Gday fellas,

Wildbill's idea of using the 223 may be useful....particularly for those new to the sport of shooting. These people generally have experience with rimfire only. So 223 for the 'centrefire rookies' at the short ranges could be an option.....then finish with say 5 shots with the 308 @ 1k. Would probably keep the cost down as well. I was one of those people hooked after a go at F-class std just prior to training day and joined the club soon thereafter...I can see myself doing this for a long time into the future even if Tony is applying to the club to have the scope removed from my rifle & Bruce think I'm 'shifty' :wink:

Simon C

#6 Postby Simon C » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:00 pm

Logging in generally helps :shock:
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Tony Q

#7 Postby Tony Q » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:13 pm

umm ... its not only Bruce who thinks y'r shifty!

The fullbore forum awaits you .... LOL

(for those missing the joke, young Simon here is going to be someone to watch in the future, he understands, he thinks quickly and his shooting is outstanding for such a new long range shooter)

PS ... hes still shifty though!

ChrisG

#8 Postby ChrisG » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:46 pm

Tony, Thanks for the welcome message. Having been one of the first 10 guinea pigs at Murray Bridge I must say it was well worth the money and the experiece was great. The best day I have had on a range for some time. Having some 25 odd years experience in various shooting clubs and disciplines I am well aware of the difficulties of promoting your discpline to attract new members. I thought the presentation was very well done considering that it was a first for some of the presenters as well. The practical side I thought could have been a little longer i.e. maybe another ten rounds at say 400 and the 500 out to 600, understanding the concerns about getting all the shots on the target and into the butts and of course the extra ammo costs. I must commend Bruce, he showed real promise as the best butt person on the day. I think you are on a winner here and other clubs wishing to promote not only F Class but TR could well do to take a leaf out of the Murray Brdge Clubs book.

Tony Q

#9 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:19 am

Thanks Chris.

We looked at more rounds and maybe keeping it to 300m and 500m but letting them have a go at 1000yds also.

Not many sporting shooters have ever taken a shot at that kind of range, and it could be just the hook they need :)

The more shots = more cost but also more time, we are going to make some changes to this one and i'll let you know how it went.

Tony Q

#10 Postby Tony Q » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:05 pm

Well, iv just finished printing off, collating, and binding another 250 pages for the 10 new shooters who will be joining us on sunday for the second MBRC training day.

Thank goodness the bad weather SA has had for the last 2 weeks has gone and fine weather is predicted.

It will be another fun day for all i hope.

The Adelaide Gun Shop (who support this type of training day) have kindly donated a $335.00 6-24x50 varmint scope as a door prize for one of our 10 shooters.

Now thats what i call being suportive :D

Wish us luck!

bruce moulds

#11 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:01 pm

hi sam.
maybe the purpose of this site is to discuss fclass (see nraa rule book), as opposed to firearms related careers from the eyes of a 17? year old.
regards,
bruce moulds

Tony Q

#12 Postby Tony Q » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:33 pm

Its all relaited Bruce.

Its called Guidence, Education or Discovery.

What was it like when you were 17 ?

I know what it was like when i was...no one gave a F**K

It is the job of sites like this to provide,I would hope, Guidence and Leaderchip to all those who are interested in shooting sports. While i agree with you that this is an F class dedicated site, Young Sam is F class and has even shot Fullbore and F class style at Bisly.

We should be seen as educating rather than criticising.

RAVEN

#13 Postby RAVEN » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:55 pm

Hey Tony how did ya training day go?????

Did U recruit any more members for CTV lol

If U need any assistance with the on site promotion of sponsors for future training days (may have some ideas will chat when I see U next) don’t hesitate to contact me
Sure would be interested in looking at the booklet U have put together
If you are going to Barmera bring one with U
Cheers
RICHARD

Tony Q

#14 Postby Tony Q » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:16 am

The Second MBRC Training Day was a huge success and 12 MBRC members were on hand to ensure everything went smoothly (thank you). Only 9 off the 10 shooters fronted with a last minuet cancellation for one participant due to the flue.

One shooter shot 60/60 at 300m and another was awarded the wooden peg after he put 2 shots through the same hole at 500m (shattering the peg)

Jim Casper’s tried to charge him $1.00 for it …. LOL

It was unanimous by all attending that the information they gained in basic ballistics and wind reading was more than they hoped for. For the majority of them, the furthest distance they had shot was around 250yds so the 300m and 500m shoots in the afternoon produced some very big smiles. The 1000yd demo by Trevor Deeds (fullbore) and Allan Madern (F Class) again produced some dropped jaws.

The donated scope was won by a very happy chappy from Kingston SE.

Our youngest shooter was 14 yrs old, he shot remarkably well beating his father by 3 points at 500m.

In 2 weeks they will all be sent Provisional Membership cards for SARA along with information for Fullbore, F Class and Match Rifle. They will also receive a list of the clubs closest to them (i.e., CTV, Bordertown, Mount Gambier, MBRC) along with an A4 size group photo so they have a memento form the day.

Thanks again to all who participated, and thanks to Paul Gail (SARA) for finding the right ways to make these Training days happen.

Thanks Richard and Ben for your comments, and I will see you at Barmera next Sunday.

Tony Q

#15 Postby Tony Q » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:29 am

Richard, we are going to send the infomation (lesson plans, contents, notes etc.) to those who may wish to try a training day.

I will give you a copy next sunday and look forward to your comments or any suggestions you lot at CTV may have.

It looks like you may get 1 or 2 more members out of this .... jeez! we may have to charge a commision yet!!! :roll:

Thanks Tony

Return to “Events”