F-Open Diary from SA Queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

F-Open Diary from SA Queens

#1 Postby AlanF » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Once again, I'll try to post each night of the leadup and Queens, to tell you what is happening from coalface.

I'm in Adelaide after about 12 hours driving. Looks like we're in for some Canberra weather - wet and windy for both days of the leadup, then fining up towards Monday when we might get 25 degrees and plenty of mirage at 800metres?

I'll be back tomorrow night - hopefully the rain won't affect the program.

Alan
Last edited by AlanF on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:43 pm

I hear it was an interesting and rather blustery day.
Link to results page:
http://www.riflesa.asn.au/queens.htm

Lynn

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks Lynn - looking forward to seeing you at the range later in the week.

Today there was no rain as forecast, and it was coolish at times, but the wind was quite strong from approx 4 o'clock, and not so much gusting as deceptively variable. e.g Richard Braund had his first 100 possible at his home range, then followed it with an 89. Open are all shooting on a single target near the RHS of the range, and not moving. F Std are using two adjacent targets, and moving with the TR shooters. We think the wind may switch around to about 1 o'clock and get colder tomorrow - maybe the forecast showers will come.

I have some calibre information :

Trev Otto 6BR, Richard Braund 284 Win, Alan Fraser 6.5x284, Stuart Braund 6x47, Ken Melgaard 6BR, Raeburn Trindall 7mm08, Graham Mincham 308Win. How's that for variety? Some may be changing to bigger calibres at the longs e.g. Stuart to 284Win, Ken to 280AI. There are two more we know of coming for the Queens : Bruce Moulds, and Marty Lobert. Its not going to be a huge field, but I've no doubt the competition will be keen.

I'll report back again tomorrow night.

Alan :D

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:07 pm

Hello again from the SA Queens. We had wind again today, strong initially then stronger with no let ups. In fact twice the F-Open target face was seen to dislodge and cartwheel along the butts behind all the other targets. Because of this the 700 and 800 ranges were abandoned in favour of 300 and 400, but then the 400 was stopped due to a rain squall.

None of this seemed to affect Richard Braund who steamed on to take No 1 badge. Trev Otto wasn't too far behind.

In F-Std Bruce Kneebone continued on with his great form of yesterday - he really has that "rat-gun" singing.

So for those of us not at the sharp end, tomorrow is a new day, and of course the start of the Queens! Looks like David Cleal will be there too, so that's at least 10 in the field. Weather will still be coolish, but wind should moderate. I'll be back tomorrow night.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Day one of the Queens is over. Weather was much better. no rain to speak of, winds moderate, and temperatures mild.

David Cleal didn't make it but Bruce Moulds and Marty Lobert have joined the field. We have a great bunch of people, and had some good laughs through the day. Bruce is using (wisely 8) ) a 6.5x284, and Marty has a 6BR for the shorts and 284 for the mediums/longs.

Richard Braund has edged ahead of the field again, with about 6 others within striking distance. This Queens has a history of going down to the wire at the 800s on the Monday, and this year could well be the same.

And Bruce Kneebone is doing it again in F-Std.

Catch you tomorrow night.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Hello again from Lower Light. Just one day left then its off home and back to work for most of us :? .

Weather was nice today, and conditions appeared to be easy, but some of us still found it tricky. Richard Braund just kept going regardless. He has an average score of over 96, which for the conditions we've had is damn good! Bruce Moulds and myself theoretically have a chance of catching him, and while it won't be for lack of trying, that seems very unlikely. Bruce Kneebone is continuing to dominate F-Std, getting a 60 at 600 and winning the daily agg again.

Will be back with a post-match report tomorrow night.

RAVEN

#7 Postby RAVEN » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 pm

Congratulation to Alan and Bruce well shot

I will leave it up to Alan to fill U all in :?: :?: :?: :) :) :(
Congratulations also to the rest of the field great shooting to U all
will be back next year
Cheers
RB

Matt P

#8 Postby Matt P » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Well done Alan !!! \:D/
Hard luck Richard and nice comeback Bruce, nearly got there.
Well done also to R R-Mousley (ex A Grade Queens winner ???).
Nice to see some close competetion in both F Classes, 3 way shoot off for both.
Did SARA extend the badge list for FS in light of the great numbers, as NSW did ?????

Matt P

John E

#9 Postby John E » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:33 pm

Congratulations to all the winners --- a great tussle right to the finish. Just like the old adadge "it's never over until the last shot's fired!"
John

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Yes I finally did it. Have been the bridesmaid in 3 Queens, so it was about time. I'll have a smile on the face for at least a week! Richard shot beautifully all week and seemed invincible, then at the last 800 had one of those shoots we all get occasionally where you get out of sync with the changes and can't win a trick. Plus he ran out of 168 Bergers which he'd used so effectively up until the last day. And Marty Lobert could have been much closer if he hadn't had a mystery miss in the first 800. And Bruce would have done better in the shoot-off if he hadn't extracted a soft-seated cartridge and left powder all through the action :shock: ! This shoot seemed to have more than its share of hard luck stories.

Other than for A-Grade, no-one was asked to speak at the presentations, so I'll say a few things here. This was a very well run Queens. Congrats to SARA and all the individuals who put in the effort to the planning, organising and running. One of those is Richard Braund, who amongst other things, did a fantastic job with the sponsorship and trophies - better than any other Queens I have been to. The catering was every bit as good as I'd been led to believe - breakfast, lunch and dinner reasonably priced and great variety. We all agreed that our F-Open marker was excellent, so I hope someone can pass that on to that person.

In F-Std, Bruce Kneebone looked like repeating his win in the leadup, then had a mystery miss which put him back in the pack, then got pipped by the three in the shoot-off. At least he won the Hunt and the Hunt-Queens agg (as did Richard in F-Open).Congratulations to Robert Richards-Mousley who won the F-Std shoot-off.

It was great to meet up with many of the Forum members whom I knew by name and forum conversation only. In particular, Lynn Otto came out to the range several times, which must have been tough, not only because she is very unwell, but also because she would far rather be competing than watching. Well done Lynn.

And thanks to all the F-Open shooters. You were a great bunch to shoot with.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#11 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:37 pm

Not too sure about letting one of those Victorians win... :D but a well deserved congratulation to Alan, consistancy and being there at the end often pays off. Well done to the other competitors as well.

Now on another note I found these two loitering on the mound...if anyone wishes to claim them. :lol: :lol:

Lynn

RAVEN

#12 Postby RAVEN » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:45 am

Congratulations also to Bob (Phoenix RC)Chris and Mark (CTV RC) in FS
on their win and placing’s.
CTV Rifle Club achieved A Grade No1 Badge No 1 C Grade Badge No. 2 & 3 FS badges and No.3 FO Badge
Well done CTV this queens will be one to remember for sure
=D> =D> =D>
Very Proud Capt. :D :D :D

Yes matt SARA is extending the badges to FS I think to 25% of the entries

And yes it was hard luck for me I have put it down to poor barrel cleaning management but they are the discissions one makes. I started ok but after a 7at 12 o’clock it all wet to SH#$@t I new it was close and my last shot I was just trying to get an 8 @ 9 o’clock as I had just followed with 2X 7 at 3 o’clock and the bloody thing went where I aimed 7 @ 9 o’clock
:roll: :roll:

When I was preparing to shoot at the last range Alan F said to me if I could shoot an 80 we could have a 3 way shoot off little did I realise that this would be the result.
I am still very pleased with my result as the 3 of us managed to shoot the highest AGG for this event ever by 17 points. and I received the Grand Agg Cross for the 5 days

I told Alan that he owed me one as I have pinched a coulpe of Vic badges and he was getting me back. :lol: :lol:

There was a situation with one of Marty's shots that highlighted a problem with the marking as he had shot a 10 followed by a miss then another 10
We think the marker saw the bullet impact pulled the target patched the hole from the previous shot and then went looking for the new shot not being able to find one marked it as a miss on discussion we believe the shot had gone down along side the stick and the marker missed this food for thought any way.
If its any consolation to Marty it would not have change the result.
A Big thanks you to all the industry sponsors KRIEGER BARRELS/PRO CAL TRADING /LIGHTFORCE/SIGHTRON Rifle Scopes/ ADELAIDE GUN SHOP & FISHER FIREARMS
Cheers
RB

Tony Q

#13 Postby Tony Q » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 am

Lynn, I believe an SA Police APB has been issued for those two, so it wont be long before we can sleep safely again.

Matt P, 8 badges were allocated to FS for the fantastic show of 27 shooters. Three were issued on Monday with the other 5 in the post.

In total 36 F Class shooters graced our state range.

Congratulations to:

F Open … Alan, Bruce and Richard.

F Std … Rob, Mark and Chris.

It was an incredibly close field in both classes and both were decided by the last range. It was great to also see a 3 way shoot off in both FO and FS indicating the excellent level of competition and skill on offer.

Kudos to SA FS for leading the field on the last day with some very good interstate rivals too close for comfort. Condolences to Bruce K, you’re a great fella Bruce and I was very pleased to see you receive the Cross for the FS 5 day agg. A very prestigious medal

Also, Bob R-Mousley, while he has been shooting fullbore for some years he has only been shooting FS for 3 weeks with a .223. Just goes to show how user friendly F Class is.

As Alan said it was great to catch up with other forum members, and others, what a terrific bunch of people who all got along famously.

Richard, well done mate, your efforts to make this a memorable Queens inspired us all.

Tony.
Last edited by Tony Q on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Simon C

#14 Postby Simon C » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:48 pm

Well done to all who participated. =D>

Congrats to the winners in both classes...shoot-offs in both to decide the top 3!

It was a super field to shoot against with tight competition in variable conditions. It was great to spend more time with those of you I know and to meet new faces. Comiserations go to Bruce Kneebone after such a good week showing us all how well a 223rem can be driven. However I'm sure you are not dissatisfied with the Grand Agg. Look forward to shooting against you again sometime.

I can only second what Alan has said about the way the tournament was run. The food was great (although Bruce had to have his own cold baked beans...some things are meant to be eaten hot mate), the facilities excellent and the cameraderie of F-Class in general was fantastic.

Kudos needs to go to SARA for extending the badge list in F-STD given the amount of entries and for supporting the SA F-Class group in the formation of our association during the tournament.

Hope to catch u all again soon.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

RAVEN

#15 Postby RAVEN » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Some snaps
The last pic in the slide show are the 3 drawfs HAPPY in the middle DOPPY on the left and GRUMPY on the right :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or it could be called the silly hat parade :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://img249.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 359se.smil

Return to “Events”