QRA Queen’s

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

GSells

Re: QRA Queen’s

#16 Postby GSells » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:57 am

Peter Hulett wrote:This QRA Queens was the first Queens for the new CRO Jeff Day. Jeff has been RO for a while but it is a big step to take on a Queens. I hope all participants appreciated his work and his willingness to take on the job so that you can have the shoot.

All of the ET and Ro Staff especially Jeff and all of the butts volunteers and volunteers did a marvellous job and made it a wonderful event! Thank you ! =D> =D>

John T

#17 Postby John T » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Hello Dennis.

In 1978, Clive Thiedeke won his first and only Queen's at Belmont at the age of 70, after more than 5 decades of TR shooting. It is likely that he competed at more Prize Meetings than any other shooter in the history of target shooting.

At the risk of insulting you, I believe this is your "first" and you are passed 70.

An inspiration.

Very best regards,
John Tracey.

PS. Your DOB should be noted beside your name in the QRA records.

Steve N

#18 Postby Steve N » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 am

Any thoughts for or against the way that there was no check scorer and shot results were not recorded on the blackboard only the shooters overall score?
(Some shooters were very reluctant to put their scores up)
I didn't like having to check my phone to see how shooters were going and think it took everything away from spectators.

KHGS

#19 Postby KHGS » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:05 pm

Steve N wrote:Any thoughts for or against the way that there was no check scorer and shot results were not recorded on the blackboard only the shooters overall score?
I didn't like having to check my phone to see how shooters were going and think it took everything away from spectators.

I hated the no conventional check scoring!!!! For me it took away an interaction of shooters with their peers. It also seemed to me that MANY shooters did not record their scores on the board. This spoiled an otherwise good Queens for me!! I will probably not attend again as a result of this, for me a poor decision that should be scrapped. As if we do not have enough people wandering around peering at their phone screens now, surely the rifle range is a place that you should leave your phone in your bag at least until after shooting!!!! [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
Keith H.

AlanF

#20 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Perhaps one day it will be affordable to have a reasonably big screen behind each target position showing the shots as they fall, plus a list of scores (shot by shot) of earlier shooters on that target, and a list of shooter names to come i.e. all the info now on a manual scoreboard. The technology is all there, just a matter of some programming and buying suitable outdoor screens and stands. That will allow spectators to walk along the mound as with manuals, see all the scores so far, see who is yet to shoot on the target, and stop and watch the target of the current shooter with no need for spotting scope or binoculars!

Keith, you're a self-confessed Scotsman, so will no doubt have a huge amount of money hidden away. This could be an opportunity to be the Twiggy Forrest of the full-bore fraternity :D .

Barry Davies

#21 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:21 pm

The attendance at the QRA queens has been in steady decline since 2011 ( except 2015 which may have been a teams year?? ) 280 in 2011 and 170 this year.
Taking away portion of the spectator aspect is just what the sport does not need.
Alan's wish is just that --a pipe dream, but none the less something that is needed to boost interest.
Having to walk around constantly looking at a phone or similar to view progress is not progress.
Barry

GSells

#22 Postby GSells » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:32 am

KHGS wrote:
Steve N wrote:Any thoughts for or against the way that there was no check scorer and shot results were not recorded on the blackboard only the shooters overall score?

I hated the no conventional check scoring!!!! For me it took away an interaction of shooters with their peers. It also seemed to me that MANY shooters did not record their scores on the board. This spoiled an otherwise good Queens for me!! I will probably not attend again as a result of this, for me a poor decision that should be scrapped. As if we do not have enough people wandering around peering at their phone screens now, surely the rifle range is a place that you should leave your phone in your bag at least until after shooting!!!! [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
Keith H.

Keith that would be shame , I think we all appreciated your skills and competition. I know I enjoyed dueling with you :lol: as for no check scorers I’m ambivalent about it . I’ll still support it either way if time and money permit . Was very well run .

Return to “Events”