electronic targets at geelong

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Ken L

#31 Postby Ken L » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:30 am

I would be interested in seeing photo's published here of a line shot. Both the actual hole in the taget and the display at the firing point for that particular shot.
It would go along way to promote comfidence in the system.
Placing a ruler near the shot hole in the target for the photo would also add to the credibility.

There is an old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Peter Hulett

#32 Postby Peter Hulett » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:50 am

Peter & Ken,

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Sorry if I caused it. Just because the technology is new to Australia doesn't mean it is new or untested. The figure of a mean of .65mm accuracy at 1000 yards doesn't come from the manufacturers. This was the result that was submitted to the NRAofGB after they commissioned independent testing during 2005-6 at Bisley just as Peter was suggesting. The tests at 600yards achieved similar results. The NRAofGB did not bother to test at 300 yds because the technology has been in use for some years in 300m international shoots and is, I think, recommended for championships.

The discussion about the accuracy of paper is irrelevent if we accept that a reproducible mean of .65mm accuracy is acceptable.

The testing we will do is to check that the Australian target dimensions that have been programmed in are accurate and to match procedures to their use.

Alan is right, there is not going to be wholesale introduction of these targets across Australia. They are expensive and are very heavy with quite a bit of infrastructure around them (batteries, solar chargers). Once they are in the frame they stay there.

Geelong can do it because we have multiple butts but a traditional range would need to dedicate a frame to each target.

AlanF

#33 Postby AlanF » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:08 am

Just a quick report on the day at Anakie East. Again this year it was a very enjoyable event, and for me well worth the long drive. It was decided that everyone would shoot together on the standard targets at 300, 500 and 600m. The inequalities in equipment were not relevant because it was a nominate your own handicap event.

Trophies and prizemoney were good, and the first 10 all got something. Paul McCarthy prevailed with a handicap of 5 and score of 175. There was a good mix of all categories in the placegetters.

I was pleasantly surprised that the two new electronic targets were all set up, calibrated, and ready to go. They were used exclusively for 300 and 500m and worked reliably and very effectively. The shooter has their own monitor on the mound which displays all shot positions within about 2 seconds after firing. This means that if you want, you can fire very rapidly.

Congratulations to Geelong for having the foresight and determination to get this project completed up to this stage (and when they say there is more to come quite soon, you can believe them). I've no doubt that it will be a success at this range, because it is particularly suited to the single indoor firing point area, and to simultaneous shooting at several distances. I can confidently say to the sceptics that you are wrong - go to Anakie East and see for yourself.

Alan

Ken L

#34 Postby Ken L » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Alan
Let me get this straight you fire a shot and then see the shot position 2 seconds latter. The Target stays up for the whole time you are shooting.
Did you get the oportunity to compare the electronic read out position against the position of a spotting disk.

Ken L

VickiMcc

#35 Postby VickiMcc » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:56 pm

Ken

The target stays up for the entire day as there is no marker in the pitt, therefore unable to see a spotter in target face at all.
The system plots up to 20 shots giving a mean point of impact which is updated from shot to shot. It also gives the centre to centre group size as you progress also. As well as this it also give you the score. It is a godsend if you are a fast shooter for as fast as you can reload the target is there and the previous shot is plotted for you.

Hope this helps

Paul

AlanF

#36 Postby AlanF » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:02 pm

Ken,

As Paul explained there is no spotter placed on the target, but I was told that some test measurements were made that morning (using a .22LR at close range) and they were within a mm and I have no reason to dis-believe them. I had expected we would be helping with testing, but it was more trialling the use of them rather than testing their integrity. And as I said above, they came through the trialling with flying colours.

Alan

Ken L

#37 Postby Ken L » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:28 am

Alan & Paul
Thank you for the information.
I am not knocking the system I am seeking answers to numerous questions that have been raised in another forum about the targets that have been installed at Bisley.
Following a conversation last night with a club mate here are some more questions.
What does the target look like in a telescopic sight? Does it have a target aiming mark with scoring rings and how easy is it to see the reticule against presunably black inner four size aiming mark.
Can the target have alternate faces attached eg FO target if so are they pasted on or some sort of clip on system.

I am using you as a proxy as the trip of 4000k was not possible in the time available

Any photo's would be welcome.

Regards
Ken L

dshepherd

#38 Postby dshepherd » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:29 pm

Ken,
I am a Geelong member and an F Class Shooter. I am also part of the team that installed the electronic targets at Geelong.

In reply to your questions.

The front of the target is white with a black rubber circle of the appropriate size for that range. This is of course adequate for the Fullbore shooters but not for F Class. At Geelong we have attached standard aiming marks onto the front of this. (V ring and Bull ring) at 300m and a larger aiming mark (V,bull and 4 ring) onto the 500m target. This means the target looks exactly the same as a manual target.

As for your question about F Open that is a bit more complex.
Attaching an F Open target face is no problem and is achieved as above.
The tricky bit is as follows-
The system software resolves the position of a shot to a score and then displays both on the shooters monitor. This means that the system must be programmed with the exact definitions of the target dimensions. Currently the system is only programmed with the NRA targets for Fullbore / F Class. We have submitted a request to the manufacturer that they supply us with the software for F Open target definitions and are hopeful they can do this for us.

We will get some photos on our website soon.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Dave Shepherd

Return to “Events”