VRA Queen series.

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: VRA Queen series.

#16 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Well done all the winners =D> . Sounds like there were mixed fortunes with conditions at 1000, which often means top shooters go out of contention, but not so Rod Davies and James Corbett. I see a "new" name on the Queens winners list, being Dave Phipps in F-Std A. Good to see.

RDavies

#17 Postby RDavies » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 pm

DenisA wrote:Congratulations Rod Davies, Frans Knox, Dave Phipps and James Corbett in your 2019 VRA Queens win. Looks like the wind gods threw everyone a wobbly for the last 1000.

So close to a clean sheet Rod. Where’d you lose them?

Congratulations also to grand Agg winners too.

Well, what a great 5 days of competition it was, with good weather and reasonable conditions all the way through. Once again it was a very well run and very popular competition. The range and mounds were great and markers the best I have seen. It is certainly on my to do list each year. It was great to catch up with old faces and new over the last 5 days with a good bunch down here. It was a very close competition in F Open with many great scores, the level of competition is getting very difficult. I reckon Uncle Bob is going up to FNQ Queens in top form, with my club mate John Peters also in top form.
Franz Knox expertise in the longs helped him take take out yet another F/tr Queens win which will no doubt make his Brisbane fan base happy. Dave Phipps was thrilled to take his first F std A grade win against such a strong field.
For James Corbett it was just another day at the office when he won his 37th Queens.

Dennis, just so you know, the 60.10 Rattler went great. Even though I wasn’t speed shooting, I was rapt with my first time using it. It was just very convenient to have the next round sitting ready in the same place each shot so attention was not drawn away from watching the conditions. A side benefit was that it fit nicely between my action and spotting scope making it easier to use than the regular ammo caddies.

DenisA

#18 Postby DenisA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:23 pm

That’s great to hear Rod your advocacy means a lot to me. Thanks for the feedback.

Dave_P

#19 Postby Dave_P » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:53 am

This was definitely an event I will never forget, taking out my first Queens prize and my 1st A grade competition.

I had a great shoot on the final 1000 yard range and was able to limit the dropped points to just one while others weren’t so fortunate.

The highlight of the win for me was having the privilege of sitting at the Queens's presentation with Australia's best TR shooter James Corbett on one side of me and on the other ,the F Open World champion Rod Davies , truly a memorable moment.

Thanks to everyone involved in running a great event.

Dave Phipps

DenisA

#20 Postby DenisA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 am

Dave_P wrote:This was definitely an event I will never forget, taking out my first Queens prize and my 1st A grade competition.

I had a great shoot on the final 1000 yard range and was able to limit the dropped points to just one while others weren’t so fortunate.

The highlight of the win for me was having the privilege of sitting at the Queens's presentation with Australia's best TR shooter James Corbett on one side of me and on the other ,the F Open World champion Rod Davies , truly a memorable moment.

Thanks to everyone involved in running a great event.

Dave Phipps

Are you saying you felt like the Rose between 2 thorns!? :P

AlanF

#21 Postby AlanF » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Dave_P wrote:This was definitely an event I will never forget, taking out my first Queens prize and my 1st A grade competition...

Dave,
Yours was probably the best come-from-behind F-Class Queens win I've seen (from 8th place at the start of the final day). It should keep a smile on your face for some time :D . Its a reminder to everyone to never lose hope, particularly when there's long ranges to come.

Dave_P

#22 Postby Dave_P » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 pm

AlanF wrote:
Dave_P wrote:This was definitely an event I will never forget, taking out my first Queens prize and my 1st A grade competition...

Dave,
Yours was probably the best come-from-behind F-Class Queens win I've seen (from 8th place at the start of the final day). It should keep a smile on your face for some time :D . Its a reminder to everyone to never lose hope, particularly when there's long ranges to come.

Thanks Alan...still smiling :D

Triplejim

#23 Postby Triplejim » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:25 am

I scored for Dave during the Queens, at 1000, he shot 2 bullseyes for sighters, then another for first business.
Then the flags changed from left to right, he waited for a while to see what the wind would do but it appeared to settle in.
His second business was a gamble sighter and he got an X, great judgement.
The rest followed in quick succession, pleasure to score for him, James

Dave_P

#24 Postby Dave_P » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 am

Triplejim wrote:I scored for Dave during the Queens, at 1000, he shot 2 bullseyes for sighters, then another for first business.
Then the flags changed from left to right, he waited for a while to see what the wind would do but it appeared to settle in.
His second business was a gamble sighter and he got an X, great judgement.
The rest followed in quick succession, pleasure to score for him, James

Thanks James , The chance to be on the same board and to be able to shoot with the best elite shooters in Australia ,such as yourself , is what i enjoy most about Queens events.
It is a great learning experience and from the few Queens i have done i always find I improve my technique and hence my scores from observing how others handle the conditions.

It was a real pleasure to watch the ease with which you were able to score top F Class equivalent scores of 60.7 + with no optics.

Julian D

#25 Postby Julian D » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Pretty sure this is Rod's 19th Queens win, no wonder he is World Champ .......
Well done bloke, and hopefully many more to come.

Peter Hulett

#26 Postby Peter Hulett » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 pm

AlanF

#27 Postby AlanF » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Excellent video. Congratulations to all involved. =D>

Wal86

#28 Postby Wal86 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm

AlanF wrote:Excellent video. Congratulations to all involved. =D>

Im really disappointed i couldn't shoot this years queens, looks like it was a fantastic event enjoyed by all.. Well done to all the winners and event organisers...
I dropped in on Sunday afternoon and the range upgrades are very impressive, you can see there has been alot of hard work and effort behind the scenes. =D> =D>

Cheers
Alan

Return to “Events”