VRA lead up and Queens.

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Trevor Rhodes

VRA lead up and Queens.

#1 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 am

This is mainly for Victorians, what would entice you to attend your own Queens shoot. Is it cost, finding time, Bendigo range, accommodation or some other reason. Once again your thoughts please.
Last edited by Trevor Rhodes on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sungazer

Re: VRA lead up and Queens.

#2 Postby sungazer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am

I think the cost is a big one. I know we don't have a big pool of active shooters to draw from as well. I think some of the prize money could be reduced and go back to reducing the entry fees. Using paid markers is absolutely necessary if you are not going to use electronic targets. It would be great to see 20-30 Hexta targets operating at the State Range. Of course that is going to bring up issues with the local clubs that use the facilities re clubs that have to foot their own bills for infrastructure.

The biggest aim is to act local and just get more shooters involved in the sport. That means a bit of grass roots work getting flyers out to the places where people take safety the safety test. The SSAA do it. Cater more to the masses rather than have this secret mens business for the elite. The rest will follow.

UL1700

#3 Postby UL1700 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:54 am

We are currently debating whether to enter, it would be our 1st Queens and it feels a little daunting :o Work severely limits available weekends for us but this one is currently available including the Friday!

Barry Davies

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm

What happened to the survey that was supposed to be put out to members.
Re November council meeting.

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Cost, cost and cost.
Considering my own circumstances -- For Syme and Queens --Cost for one all up is $575, for two $1080.
And we camp on the range. If we went to the caravan park add another $200. This does not include travelling costs.
I am not miserable by any stretch of the imagination but I could not justify that. ( for two ) I can shoot several country PM's for $500.

BillB

#6 Postby BillB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:40 pm

UL1700 give it a go its an experience you wont forget .Dont go thinking they are going to flog us your going for the experience and maybe win a range or 2 but i will bet if you go it wont be a 1off.
You get to talk to some of the best see new things and have fun some of the comments on the mound are hilarious

ben_g

#7 Postby ben_g » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:53 pm

UL1700 wrote:We are currently debating whether to enter, it would be our 1st Queens and it feels a little daunting :o Work severely limits available weekends for us but this one is currently available including the Friday!

Don’t mull over it, just do it.

I find I learn more in a single OPM than I could in 2 months of club shooting.

I learn more in one queens than I do in a year of club shooting!!

I wish I could be at the leadup, but looking forward to my first visit to Bendigo.

UL1700

#8 Postby UL1700 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:05 am

BillB wrote:UL1700 give it a go its an experience you wont forget .Dont go thinking they are going to flog us your going for the experience and maybe win a range or 2 but i will bet if you go it wont be a 1off.
You get to talk to some of the best see new things and have fun some of the comments on the mound are hilarious

Haha well we certainly got a fair flogging at the Rosedale OPM the other week! 1st time out at a 1000 certainly taught me a thing or two especially as it took help (thanks to all thoughs involved) and my 1st 2 sighters to get on target! I didn't know that 12 minutes of wind was even a thing coming from the shelter of Lang Lang and Grantville :lol: But seriously we have shot a few PMs now and even walked away with a badge or two so this might be the next challenge!

Cheers

James

Tim L

#9 Postby Tim L » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:01 pm

+ 1 for "just do it".

I made that decision 6 years ago, attended my first Queens at the NQRA in Townsville.
I learned more that first evening than in the 18 months prior. I took 2 ranges on day 2 which was all due the the advice that evening.
I go back this year as defending champion.

williada

#10 Postby williada » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:54 am

James Bendigo is a doddle compared to Rosedale and that experience will hold you in good stead. This is not intended to be one-up-manship but when I was a young lad I shot Rosedale with 33 right wind on. The take home message from the old boys of the time was know your zero and and don't worry about group centre with a few clicks. Don't be afraid to wind the sights in handfuls to match the wind compensation required. Work that out by observing others before you shoot. A smaller movement at short range requires a large movement at long range to compensate for the same angle. So if you can stay on the mark at shorter ranges, there is no reason you can't at longer ranges. Its not being game to move the sights that freezes application when cold mathematical trigonometry says we have to. Its about understanding the maths of trigonometry to know how far. However in rough conditions like Rosedale presented, lower your goal to just stay in the black and try to stay in rhythm with key flags. You might lose the odd one but you will remain close to your window of assessment.

Others will founder trying to stay in the centre because things happen too quickly on such days and will experience misses, two and threes. By playing the percentages, you will have your turn in the winners circle despite the luck of the draw in such conditions. Over several days of competition, the luck of the draw is less significant. There is no shame going down trying and learning. Long range wind reading is an apprenticeship.

UL1700

#11 Postby UL1700 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:55 pm

williada wrote:This is not intended to be one-up-manship but when I was a young lad I shot Rosedale with 33 right wind on.

:shock: I only have 40 MOA total of winda, I would be having to sight of the edge of the target [-o<

I hope you are right as we are now entered, paid for and accommodation booked so just need to build a few rounds and we will be there :D

RDavies

#12 Postby RDavies » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:20 pm

UL1700 wrote:
williada wrote:This is not intended to be one-up-manship but when I was a young lad I shot Rosedale with 33 right wind on.

:shock: I only have 40 MOA total of winda, I would be having to sight of the edge of the target [-o<

I hope you are right as we are now entered, paid for and accommodation booked so just need to build a few rounds and we will be there :D

To keep it in context though. In modern, post global warning times (last year), we only needed a few minutes either side at Bendigo. I just hope the organisers put on the same weather this year.

sungazer

#13 Postby sungazer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:10 am

It has been a bit windy this current year though, so it will be interesting, or should I say frustrating.

saum2

#14 Postby saum2 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 am

RDavies wrote:To keep it in context though. In modern, post global warning times (last year), we only needed a few minutes either side at Bendigo. I just hope the organisers put on the same weather this year.

Yes Rod, but IF Tim N turns he could bring much wanted rain :D

Tim N

#15 Postby Tim N » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Sorry Geoff,
You’ll have to wait for the rain.
I can’t make it there this year
Have fun anyway
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Return to “Events”