Nationals in June

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

#16 Postby Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:05 am

Matt, although i was not there, am i allowed to ask what the problems we're with rifles etc??

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:31 am

Was the F-Open problem with rear rests by any chance? I've been trying to get an amendment to that since November!

As far as the Std rules, all I can say, and probably what the F-Std rules committee will say is why didn't more of the shooters with objections speak out at the appropriate time?

Alan

John E

#18 Postby John E » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:23 pm

Matt,
when you say that the FS rifle spec seems to have missed the mark with the shooters present, do you mean that they were unhappy with the spec, or were they not complying with the spec? Were there any protests lodged against any FS shooter's rifle or other gear, that you know of?
I realise that there will always be people who will push things to the limit to gain an advantage, but as long as they don't go past the limits of the rules, then there shouldn't be a problem --- its like having lines on a target --- you only have to touch the outside of the line to be in the higher scoring dimension, according to the rules.
On the other hand, there will always be people who will think that something is not fair if they are not winning, and they will look for things to criticise. That's life, I guess.

John

Matt P

#19 Postby Matt P » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Alan
It wasn't the rear rest that caused the issue it was the front, the rifle in question had a short bi-pod sitting in/on a rest/ windage/elevation mechanism. The rest had no sandbag and the bi-pod which was more than 76.2mm wide ran in 2 plastic "V blocks".
John and Adam
The rifle that caused a stir in FS was basically a LR Benchrest rifle chambered in 308 with a heavy shorter barrel, it was completely within the rules although there was a question mark over whether the front sandbag "gripped the rifle" but the competitor opened the ears on the front rest and then was completely legal BUT I had 7 or 8 FS shooters come to me and ask why had FS gone in that direction and that they thought a FS rifle should be able to simply remove the scope add iron sights and a sling and shoot FB.
I'm not for a second having a go at the FS commitee, you made your recommendations on in-fo supplied to you as did we for FO.
John your're right in what you say about people will think something is not fair when their not winning, the shooter/rifle in question shot very well and placed highly over the 5 days and no matter how good the gun is you still have to steer it.

Matt P

Cameron Mc

#20 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Back from the Nationals.

A great win by John Tracey in FO. John thought he was out of the running after the first day, but then went on to shoot good consistent scores to win the agg. John used a 284 ( 7mm ) all the way.

Conditions were patchy. Easy to read at times, then sudden changes that were hard to read.

I found the new targets to be not much different to the old, except for 1000yds......this one is a tough one. John's score of 90 was the best and I reckon anyone who can shoot 90 and above will be doing really well.

There were a mixture of cartridges used as there should be. My good wife used her well worn 6BR throughout the shoot and was a very proud aggregate winner on day one. She also shot her first 100 and the only one for the 3 days.

I used a 6.5x47 out to 600 then went to a 300wsm for the remainder. Not overly joyed with the 6.5, but really happy with the 300wsm.

Cartridges used 6BR, 6x47, 6.5-284, 7/284... and others.

It was a great shoot,

Cameron

AlanF

#21 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:05 pm

Cameron Mc wrote:...John used a 284 ( 7mm ) all the way...

These 284s are really starting to impress. Was he using SMK175s?
...I found the new targets to be not much different to the old, except for 1000yds......this one is a tough one. John's score of 90 was the best and I reckon anyone who can shoot 90 and above will be doing really well...

The 1000 is often the last range at a big shoot, and what better time to have the hardest range! It gives the mid-fielders a chance of making up ground, and even winning, right to the end.
...My good wife used her well worn 6BR throughout the shoot and was a very proud aggregate winner on day one. She also shot her first 100 and the only one for the 3 days...

Can you send details for the Possibles Page please?

Alan

John E

#22 Postby John E » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:04 am

Matt, I realise that you were simply reporting what was said on the range. Thank you.
To the complainants, I say that the reason that we did not specify barrel dimensions in our reccommended Rules is that there are no specs laid down for them anywhere in SSRs, and indeed, those heavy short barrels were already being used in FS without any objections to them, although to be fair, when we asked for comments on our suggested rules, about two or three respondents did object to them because they were not being used in FB, however, there is nothing in the Rules to prevent someone using one in FB if he so desired, he would only have to fit a foresight and rear sight, and keep the rifle within the 6.5kg limit.
If weight and dimensional specs were introduced, it would be very cumbersome to police, in fact, the barrel would probably need to be removed from the rifle, and we wouldn't want that. The sensible thing is to include the barrel in the overall weight of the rifle and simply weigh the complete rifle. If someone wants a very heavy barrel and have the rifle near maximum weight, then he has to sacrifice weight somewhere else.
Anyone who perceives a short heavy barrel to be an advantage, is at liberty to do the logical thing, and fit one.
The front rest problem is catered for in the Rules, and was obviously dealt with by the RO., as it should have been.
I don't intend to keep having to justify the new SSRs, but I don't see a problem with them, and they were arrived at with the wishes of the majority of respondents being taken into account.
John

Simon C

#23 Postby Simon C » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:06 am

People should just concentrate on shooting rather than moaning about other people's equipment. It is a complete waste of energy and I couldnt think of anything worse to concern myself about during or prior to a big shoot like a queens.

I really think some people use these opportunities to psych others out or purley to be a PITA in fear of having a better shooter win on the day.

Just bloody get on with it, pull the trigger and enjoy yourself. The rules are fine as they are. :roll:
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

John E

#24 Postby John E » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:16 am

Good on you, Simon, well said.
John

#25 Postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:31 am

I'll drink to that too, however if there is an obvious breech of rules it should be dealt with in the best possible manner, otherwise there is no point having a rule book!!
Barry

pjifl

#26 Postby pjifl » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:33 pm

Yes. Just get on with the shooting and forget about nit picking. People are more likely to win anyway if they dont get upset about others gear unless its a major violation.

On barrels, TR has evolved a long barrel that is in itself abnormal. Some are now well over 30 inch - and the main reason is to gain a long sight base for peep sights. Yet many TR people think these are normal !!!!!

Peter Smith.

balcom

#27 Postby balcom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:25 pm

[quote="Simon C"]People should just concentrate on shooting rather than moaning about other people's equipment. It is a complete waste of energy and I couldnt think of anything worse to concern myself about during or prior to a big shoot like a queens.

I really think some people use these opportunities to psych others out or purley to be a PITA in fear of having a better shooter win on the day.

Just bloody get on with it, pull the trigger and enjoy yourself. The rules are fine as they are. :roll:[/quote
Hi Simon,
Quite right, shoot within the rules and you wont have a problem but there are a lot of people pushing the envelope, one is FS rests without a sandbag OR some soft material between the rifle & rest, we had one at the NRAA Qns but soon sorted it out, there are some with a hard flat rest under the stock.
There were a couple of protests but did not do it within the rules.
PeterH NRAACRO.

#28 Postby Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:12 am

Hi Peter,
What's your thoughts on this one.
FS Rule 20.2.1.4 states that a "piece of carpet or similar may be placed on the ground under the base of the front rest"
How about a piece of carpet or similar stuck on a stiff board? How would you rule?
Further to that we at Castlemaine have blue metal on all of our mounds, and for the F Class shooters we have set concrete slabs into the blue metal with carpet stuck on top. Is that legal? and if so whats the difference between that and a board?
Barry

Ken L

#29 Postby Ken L » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:56 am

Barry Davies wrote:Further to that we at Castlemaine have blue metal on all of our mounds, and for the F Class shooters we have set concrete slabs into the blue metal with carpet stuck on top. Is that legal? and if so whats the difference between that and a board?
Barry

To me the fact that the club has placed or allowed to be placed, concrete slabs into the mound indicated that the slab is part of the design of the range just like the concrete slabs at Canberra, Corryong and Goondiwindi ranges too name but a few.
Asuming of course that the shooter doesn't pick up his/her slab after the conpletition of a the stage. If the club also provides some form of padding like carpet or a rubber mat then that too is part of the design of the range and is not subject to NRAA rules but may come under the jurisdiction of State Laws / Regulations on range design.
In the end does it make the shooter a better wind reader. NO.
If we were talking about TR shooting from the elbows where there may be some advantage to be gained then nit picking rules have to apply.
But with a rested rifle that only has to be loaded then aimed and fired to compensate for the conditions then quite a few of the current rules are imports from other diciplines that do not apply to F Class. Its a wunder that F Class shooters are not required to wear heavy restrictive shooting jackets in the heat of summer :evil:

Ken L

#30 Postby Ken L » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:05 pm

It is my understanding that the last NRAA Board meeting ( Just prior to the National Queens) they passed an amendment to the F Class rules relating to front rests ( FS or FO I dont know). The amendment will be published in the ATR and the rules on the NRAA web site will refect the change as well.

Maybe you can use carpet or :shock: rubber mat stuck on a plank after all :)

Return to “Events”