sara queens

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

sara queens

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:07 pm

hello everyone,
as it stands at the moment, to the best of my understanding, the target machines at the lower light range,(read sara queens) have a potential movement of somewhere between 3" & 5" horizontal in certain wind conditions, & 3" to 5" vertical due to loose locking systems.
i believe that sa is a fairly central place to compete in austraila, but to lose or win by one point under these conditions in 3 days shooting is not worth the entry fees.
would any non sa shooters who feel likewise please post here or contact sara by email,phone, etc
regards
bruce moulds

bjld

#2 Postby bjld » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:19 pm

Geez, those targets really bug you, don't they Bruce?! I reckon they only really move around when the wind is 30 mph or more, just before they're ripped out! I had to pull some targets a couple of weeks ago and I think they've got a different locking system to last year. I had to pull on a cable to release the frame before I could lower the target.

You're not actually trying to tell us that you won't come out of the hills to shoot there again, are you?

Regards
Ben

bruce moulds

moving targets

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:39 pm

hi ben,
yes you are right, those sara targets do annoy me, as they would any serious shooter.
surely it should be taken for granted that the target will be in the same place when the bullet gets there as it was when the shot broke. also, nearly breaking a shot three times, only having to abort after taking up 90% of the trigger.
there is nothing like watching a half moa bull move 1 full moa in mid aim!
the ropes you talk of sound like the same old locks to me. they were underengineered in the first place, didn't lock both arms, and the lock bases were insufficiently attatched to the ground. the machines themselves need the flexion removed bystiffening.
the movement is more dependent onwind direction than strength.
it would be in saras interest to fix this problem before too many shooters get burned
wai till thi costs you a possible, or even worse, a queens, just because someone shot on a still target & yours moved. just remember the time of flight to 800m.
regards.
bruce moulds

Simon C

#4 Postby Simon C » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi all,

although I am new to this sport, i fast recognised that their is a vast number of variables which we try to control.....I know when i lie down behind my pride & joy, i want to feel confident that my gear has been meticulously setup & maintatined, and my handloads have been well assembled in order to gain control of everything possible. This being the case, I can only blame myself for poor shooting. Having target frames that move in a stiff breeze jut adds another variable which we cannot possibly control from the mound. I agree with u Bruce, it would be a shame to lose a comp on that basis, not to mention, make u doubt your equipment
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:25 pm

simon,
if you genuinely feel that way (& anyone else for that matter), please contact sara & trev otto & make your feelings known.
numbers are the only things they understand.
regards,
bruce.

Simon C

#6 Postby Simon C » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:16 pm

I have not shot on this range so I cannot accurately comment on the way the frames move in the breeze. However I am concerned that we are going to have our premier state event with a potential problem such as this. This will be my first queens and i am not shy to voice my opinion. As i mentioned before, I would prefer to blame myself for poor scores. What are other peoples thoughts on this?? I trust Bruce's opinion/assessment of this situation and would suggest that others post their concerns if they beleive this is a problem. :?: :?:
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Rod

#7 Postby Rod » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:34 pm

I am starting to see why F-Class events are so poorly represented at the various meetings that try to cater for them.

bruce moulds

#8 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:46 pm

rod,
what are you trying to say?
just come out with it. what do you really mean?
regards,
bruce moulds.

Return to “Events”