Looking for feedback

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Looking for feedback

#31 Postby AlanF » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:11 am

Using Shane's numbers, 30 targets would allow 120 shooters. Regarding costs, they have competitor marking (2 per target) in the US. This would reduce the costs dramatically but would make the days longer and more physically demanding.

ajvanwyk

#32 Postby ajvanwyk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 pm

It might not be to everyone's liking but suggest you take pre registration AND payment.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

ShaneG

#33 Postby ShaneG » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Good idea Albert, I expect these type of shoots to become popular with time.
Next Feb Berger SWN sold out 400 slots with internet registration in 10.5 hours upon release in September?
Hopefully we can have similar even numbers enter and allow easy planning prior to event.
Late entries would be most difficult to cater for!

bsouthernau

#34 Postby bsouthernau » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 pm

AlanF wrote:
mike H wrote:..Is there any solid documentation to support the belief that twenty shot strings are measurably more damaging than fifteen shot strings,thinking that very few F Open shooters would have ever shot a twenty shot string in Australia?

Mike,

Even the old timers from the 303 days refer to 20 shot shoots as "barrel burners". I can only go from the experience of feeling the barrel but I'm sure a scientifically sound study would show the same thing as far as temperature goes. The barrel surface is much hotter after 15 shots than 10, and hotter again after 20. And shooting faster definitely heats up the barrel much more. So a 20 shot string shoot would be the extreme case. As far as the relationship between throat erosion and barrel temperature, it stands to reason that a hotter barrel will accelerate the erosion process, which is said to be caused by a combination of heat and pressure.

Here's some links which may be worth a look :

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/06/how-long-will-your-barrel-last-dan-lilja-offers-some-guidelines/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/10/how-to-wear-out-a-barrel-in-one-afternoon/

So it seems the short answer to Mike's question is "No, there isn't "

AlanF

#35 Postby AlanF » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 pm

bsouthernau wrote:...So it seems the short answer to Mike's question is "No, there isn't "

I'd prefer to say "There probably is, but I haven't found it".

Steve N

#36 Postby Steve N » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:39 pm

ajvanwyk wrote:It might not be to everyone's liking but suggest you take pre registration AND payment.

I think this would be a quite reasonable ask to give the organisers some confidence and make it easier to make sure that the event is a success.
The more I hear about it the keener I am to attend.

KHGS

#37 Postby KHGS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 am

AlanF wrote:
bsouthernau wrote:...So it seems the short answer to Mike's question is "No, there isn't "

I'd prefer to say "There probably is, but I haven't found it".

From a technical point of view it is a fact that the more shots to a string & the faster a string is shot the more barrel erosion there will be. This is an undeniable fact and the effect will be greater with the higher bore volume cartridges. How measurable this will be is open to debate, but an example is that a 308 will have less erosion than a 7mmSAUM when both are shot at the same chamber pressure & at the same rate of fire in the same atmospheric conditions. Yet another variable is the powder being burnt, some powders are kinder to barrels. But the correct answer to Mike's question is still yes!!!
Keith H.

bsouthernau

#38 Postby bsouthernau » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:38 am

Think I like Alan's second answer the best.

Bob Kinnear

#39 Postby Bob Kinnear » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 pm

yep im in

Bob Kinnear

#40 Postby Bob Kinnear » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:47 pm

no need for blow off shots just have the first range each day "UNLIMITED SIGHTERS"

KHGS

#41 Postby KHGS » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am

bsouthernau wrote:Think I like Alan's second answer the best.

If it is the answer you want than it is the better one!!!! Just because an individual hasn't seen it does not mean that the technical facts are wrong. One can believe what one wants but it does not change the facts, does it matter? That is up to the individual to decide. :) :) :) :)
Keith H.

Return to “Events”