New F Class Open (Beginer Build)

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

Aguy

New F Class Open (Beginer Build)

#1 Postby Aguy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:41 am

Hi All,

just thought I would put up a post, I have been shooting for a little while, and have been interested in getting into a bit of target/long range shooting. and have taken the plunge into buying a new rifle to have a bit of a crack at F class open, so this post is detailing the start of my journey.

I currently have a few rifles that I could have used for F Class either open or Std, being a Tikka T3 Stainless Light in 308, a Tikka T3 Laminate Stainless in 6.5 x 55 and a Remington 700 5R milspec in 300 win mag (the Remington has a Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24 x50 on it). I had been thinking about having a go with the Remington 700 but then a very good second hand rifle (less then 150 rounds on it) popped up, at the right price (its not like some of the proper F Classers, but I thought it might be a good start).

Anyway it is a Tikka T3 sporter in 6.5 x 55, currently the rifle is completely stock, it has the 24" bull barrel on it, with a twist rate is a 1/8.

The rifle is shooting pretty well at the moment with a basic scope on it (at 100m anyways) the photo below is a 5 round group.

just going through at the moment trying to work out what direction to head with the scope, but will post that up in the Equipment forum

Tim N

Re: New F Class Open (Beginer Build)

#2 Postby Tim N » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 am

The rifle is a nice piece of kit, shoots well, only scary thing is the hammer in the pic :shock:
I'd suggest shooting it as is for a while at club or comp shoots and have a good look at other peoples setups before spending any money on upgrades.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Norm

#3 Postby Norm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 am

Looks like it shoots quite well. What sort of velocity are you getting?

Aguy

#4 Postby Aguy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Unfortunately no chronograph yet, :( Based on my books, 42gr of 2209 and 140gr projectile it will be in the low 2500 fps, guessing I will need to speed it up a fair bit. Unfortunately a lot of the books have fairly low pressure loads for the swede due to the old krag's floating around in the states

Norm

#5 Postby Norm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:16 pm

That velocity is down a bit but it will give you something to start with.
Just have fun.

plumbs7

#6 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Tiny groups at 100m serves u well at 1000 yd. will need a bit more speed . A chrony is a must to good load tuning! Like Norm said just have fun as u r only competing against urself. Regards Graham.
Ps read Brian Litz's book too. Also J Hausler ( Bribane Rifle club) has couching clinics at Belmont . Try and track her down as she is a very good coach and very giving! ( as are a lot of the top shots).

macguru

#7 Postby macguru » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:08 pm

If that group is repeatable then i would not worry too much about cranking it up for 1000 yds just yet, most local range shooting is at 300-600 yards and accuracy is the key... One thing to watch with that model is the bedding, a friend of mine had one and the action was just sitting on the soft wood laminate so after a while he compressed it tightening up the action screws and had to get a bedding job. he also got a new barrel and its a sweet 308 rifle now ... But while yours is grouping like that i would just enjoy it and do the bedding and barrel down the track as the need arises...
id quod est

Aguy

#8 Postby Aguy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Went to Belmont this morning, as I managed to find some 140gr berger vld yesterday, out of the 6 different groups I shot these are the best two. First had 45gr of 2209 and the second has 47gr of 2209, need to get a chronograph to check speeds, but velocity should be somewhere around high 2600 for first target and in the 2800s for the second

Just using a fixed 6 power trophy series that the rifle had on it when I bought it at the moment, and I think the flyer in the 47gr group was me pulling it from rushing, but for that the group was looking at .28 moa

plumbs7

#9 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Good stuff mate keep it up! Get the JbM app for ur iPhone. Totally worth it's weight in gold. Sorry for the slow reply. I haven't checked in for a while! Regards Graham.

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”