New F Class rifles ?

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

New F Class rifles ?

#1 Postby ecomeat » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 am

I had some friends out home last weekend to shoot some paper and steel, from ranges of 400 plus yards, out to 904 yards.
Those that know me realise that i am from a hunting background, rather than "target", and had never been on a rifle range two and a half years ago, so i still have a strong interest in hunting gear.
I couldnt shoot because of my recent shoulder operation, so was forced to sit it out ..............very difficult thing to do, but we had organised this many months ago, so I didnt want to deprive my guests of their enjoyment.
All of these rifles have proven to be very accurate, and there is no doubt that they would be competetive in any F Class event. The owners have simply chosen to set them up as hunting/tactical style rifles that they arent afraid to get dirty.

From the closest rifle in picture:-
Stuart's 300 Win Mag. Kelbly Atlas long action, AI bottom metal, Jewell trigger, Kelbly stock and March FX 5x-40x * 56mm in Mil-rad and Atlas bi-pod
Annie's 308 win, Kelbly Atlas short action, AI bottom metal, Jewell trigger, McMillian A-5 stock, March F 3x-24x * 52mm prototype in Mil rad, Atlas bi-pod
Vince's 300 WSM, Kelbly Atlas short action, AI bottom metal, Jewell trigger, Kelbly stock, March FX 5x-40x * 56mm MOA, Atlas Bi-pod
Stuart's (Stefans this weekend) 6.5x47mm, Stiller Tac 30 action, Jewell trigger, KMW stock, March FX 5x-40x 8 56mm with MOA. Atlas bi-pod
Phil's 338 WSM, Redback sleeved Rem, AI bottom metal, Shilen trigger, McMillian A-5 stock, March FX 5x-40x 8 56mm with MOA. Atlas bi-pod

One of our friends had got hold of a pretty neat accessory from the USA called a Hog Saddle, which lets you firmly hold a rifle in a special clamp that sits atop a decent trii-pod. It gives quite extraordinary stability and control of your rifle whilst standing, allowing you to shoot over tall grass and still be confident of a virtual benchrest shot. Apparently there are quite a few of these in use in Afghanistan with US forces deployed there. They sell for around USD$330-00 in the US. It takes just seconds to lock in, or unlock the rifle from the "Saddle"

The rifle sitting in the Hog Saddle is a 300Win Mg, Kelbly Atlas long action, AI bottom metal, McMillan A5 stock, March FX5x-40x*56mm with Mil-rad. Atlas bipod

Given the very few shots that are actually taken by hunters from the prone position, this looks like it has some serious potential. It allows great left/right/up/down panning and locks on target when you release the hand hold.

Winds on the day were pretty challenging, and the 300WSM won the group shooting session on paper. A visiting Swedish benchrester won the steel section with a win clinching 3 hits out of 5 at 904 yards on 12' x 12" steel, using a 6.5 x 47 Lapua in really ugly conditions. Closer steel ranges were fairly well split with no one rifle or calibre dominating.
All participants try and spot the fall of shot as each shooter takes their turn, and the day always concludes with a gourmet roast dinner and a lot of good wine.
Somehow it was more genteel than trying to write Rod Davies off at Canberra Queens................which failed badly as a tactical exercise !
Last edited by ecomeat on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

aaronraad

#2 Postby aaronraad » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 am

Good to see some of those BR guys and gals belly shooting. :D
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Seddo

#3 Postby Seddo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 am

Nice line up, they are my sort of rifles!!!
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

OuttaAmmo

#4 Postby OuttaAmmo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 am

Good ad for March, and fluted barrels!
Good stuff

DenisA

#5 Postby DenisA » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks for the pics and story Tony. Awesome write up. Awesome property too by the sounds of it.

Quick

#6 Postby Quick » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:37 am

I agree Seddo. That looks like awesome fun!!! I don't get out bush enough to do that sorta shooting anymore.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

DannyS

#7 Postby DannyS » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Tony, can you go and nurse that shoulder. Too many photos of too much good stuff, not fair on the rest of us. Lol

Love the pic of 5 march scopes in a row.

Cheers

Danny S

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:05 pm

5 March scopes, 5 fluted barrels, 5 fluted bolts, 5 Atlas bi-pods (at least 4 anyway).

ecomeat

#9 Postby ecomeat » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:34 pm

It was actually 6 of everything.
If I had been able to shoot, I would have used my F Open rig, so it would have been another March scope......the only 2nd focal plane......but my 1.25" SS straight profile target barrel would have stood out a bit, along with the SS BAT action !
At the end of the day it's just a great pleasure to play with very accurate rifles with good friends, and to take the Mickey out of each other over 5 or 6 hours of shooting. It's nice to just shoot in circumstances that are literally "for fun" and I think we all enjoy a day with mates that all get on, where no one is whinging about anything. If they did, they would get told off very quickly.
All the same, I am really looking forward to some very competetive days shooting in Tasmania in March !! Hopefully the real Qld Team that Cameron mentioned on another thread.......kind, gentle and humble souls..... will be able to shake off their well deserved under dog tag and keep the rest honest. :D
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 am

So whens the fox shoot up your way Tony? WA might or might not surprise you in Tassie but hot dang we know how to shoot the fox! Have gun, will travel :twisted:

ecomeat

#11 Postby ecomeat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:58 am

Brad,
The bad news is that we basically don't have any foxes !
We run a cattle stud, and in this part of the world the issue is wild dogs.....dingos crossed with everything you can imagine.
We poison 3 or 4 times a year as part of a regional, coordinated effort and that, along with my own constant shooting, means we have the wild dogs under control.
But the foxes have been obliterated by the baiting. I have a look around with a spotlight fairly regularly, and it would be 5 or 6 years since I have seen a fox. You don't even see a "flash" these days.
Tony

Brad Y

#12 Postby Brad Y » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:24 am

Feel sorry for you then. No foxes. I suppose dogs are something at least. I just love flying through stubble waving the shotgun at foxes. Whaddabout cats, surely you get them suckers???

Nice rifles and looks like a good relaxing day out. Just beware you dont want to be labelled a tactard with those rifles. You know when you turn into a tactard because you start calling them weapons systems, you engage a target, and think a 338 lapua mag with AI magazine, counter sniper scope with mil dot reticle and filthy big muzzle break type weapons system is suitable for engaging targets on a rabbit mound 2000m away.

Sorry if I offended anyone :lol:

johnk

#13 Postby johnk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 am

Brad Y wrote:I just love flying through stubble waving the shotgun at foxes.

Shot the front wheel out of my Moke years back sitting on the side box & shotgunning foxes. Moral: Don't take a right to left crossing shot one handed.

Sam Walker

#14 Postby Sam Walker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 am

Some quality hardware there 8)

I hadn't seen the term tactard before :lol: very apt though..
Sam

DenisA

#15 Postby DenisA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:14 pm

LMAO @ Brad. Funny, funny post.

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”