Building an F-class Stock - Ready to trial

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

DaveMc

#16 Postby DaveMc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Dennis, I had a similar issue with the Mcmillan F class stock when I cut out the recoil lug area - just had a big bendy spot right in front of the action. I used carbon fibre and reinforced this area - worked a treat. If you are going to paint over it you may as well give it a go. A couple of wraps of unidirectional matting and polyester resin should do the trick. Fill it up with couple of coatings of gelcoat and a flow coat to finish - then sand back and polish ready for paint :D

DenisA

#17 Postby DenisA » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks for the advice Brad and Dave.

I'll have a tinker....

DenisA

Re: Building an F-class Stock - Ready to trial

#18 Postby DenisA » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi All,
Thought I'd do a little more on my old stock today. It's shaping up pretty smoothly and is almost ready for finishing. I was looking at tru-oil, its procedure and it looks good. I think I'd like to stain and oil it.

Are there any product similar to Tru-oil available from Bunnings that anyone knows of?

Here's a few pics.

John S

#19 Postby John S » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:01 pm

Investigate Minwax wipe-on poly or equivalent, applied using a piece of micro cloth. I have used same in satin on two laminated f open stocks..durable and attractive..more durable than an oil finish. Cheers John S.

DenisA

#20 Postby DenisA » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:05 pm

John S wrote:Investigate Minwax wipe-on poly or equivalent, applied using a piece of micro cloth. I have used same in satin on two laminated f open stocks..durable and attractive..more durable than an oil finish. Cheers John S.

Hi John. thanks for the advice, I'll look it up. A satin finish would look good.

Brad Y

#21 Postby Brad Y » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Keep sanding it up mate! Otherwise Im sure you know a panel beater that will spray it for you. Dont need to do as much sanding if they give it a good spray with primer filler first!

DenisA

#22 Postby DenisA » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi John S, I picked up some Feast Watson Wipe On Poly (satin) and walnut stain. I looked up the Minwax stuff as you suggested and looks simple with good results.

I'm super keen to get this done now. I stained a test piece of the same timber and it looks quite good. Apparently Minwax is currently pretty hard to find on the shelf.

Thanks, I really appreciate your suggestion.

seb

#23 Postby seb » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:18 am

Good job Denis! I like it. =D>

DenisA

#24 Postby DenisA » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:26 am

seb wrote:Good job Denis! I like it. =D>

:D Made my day Sebastian, that means a lot coming from you, the master designer. Thank you.

DenisA

#25 Postby DenisA » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Sneak peak. 2 coats of Walnut stain and first coat of wipe on polyurethane satin finish. Not sure how many coats I'll do yet, at least 2 I think.

JohnS, doo you sand between coats of poly?

What grade of paper do you use?

shooter mcreid

#26 Postby shooter mcreid » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Looks really nice Denis, what are you kitting it out with? What cal?

DenisA

#27 Postby DenisA » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:16 pm

shooter mcreid wrote:Looks really nice Denis, what are you kitting it out with? What cal?

Hi Josh. Thanks.

I ended up getting the .284W running very well in it. The .284W will only be a club gun.

This stock was a trial project with no deadline using a free piece of dodgy hardwood. The idea was just to have a crack, get some experience in different areas, identify problems that I hadn't considered and understand the tools required so that I have an idea of what's involved while learning from my mistakes. There are plenty of things that I would do differently a second time.

I've learnt heaps from this. Its been a fun and frustrating now and then project.

I'm looking forward to building myself some more stocks in the future when I'm better tooled for it.

John S

#28 Postby John S » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:58 pm

DennisA, I used 0000 steel wool, a light rub and wipe between coats. I ended up applying 5 to 6 coats with micro cloth giving a lint free finish. I rated it better then Tru Oil. Keith H and Matt P put me onto it a couple of years ago. Cheers John S.

DenisA

#29 Postby DenisA » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:03 pm

John S wrote:DennisA, I used 0000 steel wool, a light rub and wipe between coats. I ended up applying 5 to 6 coats with micro cloth giving a lint free finish. I rated it better then Tru Oil. Keith H and Matt P put me onto it a couple of years ago. Cheers John S.

Thanks for your help John, I'll follow suit

Amac

#30 Postby Amac » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Denis

It's looking good.
+1 on the 0000 steel wool. I did about 5 coats on the Panda stock using a marine grade polyurethane. Rubbing it back nicely each time will fill in any pores in the timber. I hope you raised the pores with a damp cloth to start with and then sanded back. That just eliminates the stain and finish from raising the grain.

Cheers Andrew

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”